Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sloppys's BEST OF CLASS picks (10 lap plus starter race tunes to follow)

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro

Sloppys's BEST OF CLASS picks (10 lap plus starter race tunes to follow)

Sloppys's BEST OF CLASS picks (10 lap plus starter race tunes to follow)

Welcome to another 'Sloppys guide', aimed at beginners to intermediate Project Cars racers. I tested in depth every single car in every single class in Project Cars 2 with the aim of picking the fastest, most versatile machine in each class. The original motivation for this was going online and joining random race lobbies, picking something I thought looked cool (not having a clue which cars were 'best') and getting slaughtered every time. I needed to have confidence in the cars I pick and also have the brake ducts/radiator opening/brake pressure/balance all tested and set for a 10 lap plus (10 min) race and be able to race hard and achieve maximum race pace without worrying about overheating brakes/engine all the time. I also need to have differential settings that give me the confidence to relax and race instead of tensing up just to keep some of the more 'fun' cars on track.

I spent several months on this project (yes I had that much evening time on my hands), often several days on a single class, racing against the ai in multiple races on multiple tracks until I ended up with the car model I could get the most consistent fast times in. Often it was a close call. If I narrowed the field from 8 to 3 then I'd start all over on a different track(s) until finally I'd pick the winner overall. All tracks I used for testing had a selection of tight and fast corners, fast straights and hard hairpin turns to really put these beasts through their paces. Occasionally it was impossible to just pick 1 car. In GT 3 for example, being a spec series there are fewer differences between the cars performance wise so it was down to reliable and solid handling instead. If you have the faster car but spin off once it's race over. So sometimes there are multiple 'best' cars.

All the race tunes and diff tweaks have been done already, it's just a case for me of getting the info out of the game now over the next few days (or weeks?!) and posting each class in its own comment to this thread. Please be patient, I promise they will all be posted health permitting! I expect the first to be up later today. The order of posting will be the order in which the classes are listed in the game to keep it simple, so sorry if you have to wait a while to get to your preferred class!

In the meantime here is the actually final list ahead of me posting basic race tweaks. Happy racing, there is alot of fun to be had with these cars!

In the tweak/setup posts that follow in most cases there will be TWO versions of the brake/radiator sections, one for qualifying (assuming 5 laps of track time) and one for a race lasting at least ten laps/ten minutes. All of these tunes should be suitable for endurance also (assuming regular pit stops for fuel/cooling down although these may not be needed if driving pace is adjusted for a long session).

Notes:
    For testing a Logitech G29 was used. Pedals had clutch assigned as brake for further sensitivity/travel

An * means the chosen car is in a DLC package

Some classes have only a single car but I still tweaked it anyway hence the listing below

No rally/RX cars were tested

Indy cars were not tested although they WERE tweaked. Hope to add these at the end of the list.
    As these tests were carried out through fall/winter last year I cannot remember every car I made differential changes to. So to be thorough I am going to post the relevant page anyway. Apologize in advance if some of them are the same as the defaults. If they ARE the same it means they tested well and do not need urgent changes.

These are all basic/quick tunes to get you started. Some cars may get extra pages posted for suspension/dampers etc but you can find some more detailed tunes for some of the cars below in my Career/Invitation and Manufacturer tune threads elsewhere on these forums. There are also of course multiple great TT tunes elsewhere on this site just note these listed below are RACE/QUALY tunes not TT tunes. All tweaks made below are MORE recent than my previous posts and therefore considered superior.

PROJECT CARS 2 BEST OF CLASS PICKS:

CanAm
    Porsche 917/10

Ferrari F355 Series
    Ferrari F355 Series

Ferrari Series
    488 NA

G40 Junior
    G40 Junior

Group 4
    BMW M1 Procar

Group 5
    Porsche 935/78*

Group 6
    Porsche 936 Spyder

Group A
    Nissan Skyline R32*

Group C1
    Nissan GTP ZX-T

GT1
    Mercedez-Benz CLK-LM

GT3
    Ferrari 488 GT3
    Audi R8 LMS

GT4
    Aston Martin Vantage GT4

GT5
    G40 GT5

GTE
    488 GTE

GTO
    Porsche 961

LMP1
    RWD P30 LMP1

LMP1-2016
    Audi R18 (LM 2016)

LMP2
    Ligier JS P2 Nissan

LMP3
    Ligier JS P3

LMP900
    Audi R8 (LMP900)

Megane Trophy
    Megane V6

Road A
    Porsche 918 Spyder

Road B
    BAC Mono

Road C
    Lamborghini Huracan

Road D
    Caterham 7 620 R

Road E
    A45 4MATIC

Road F
    Civic Type R

Road G
    Ford F-150 RTR

RS01 Trophy
    Renault RS01

TC1
    Renault Clio Cup

Touring Car
    Renault Megane Touring

Track Day A
    Ginetta G57
    McLaren P1 GTR

Track Day B
    Honda 2&4 Concept*
    Caterham Sp/300.R

v8 Supercars
    Falcon FG

Vintage F1A
    Lotus 98T

Vintage F1B
    Lotus 78

Vintage F1C
    Lotus 72D

Vintage F1D
    Lotus 25

Vintage F3A
    Lotus 51

Vintage Prototype A
    Ferrari 512S

Vintage Prototype B
    Porsche 908/03

Vintage Touring GTA
    Jaguar E-Type Group44*

Vintage Touring GTB
    BMW Stanceworks

Vintage Touring GTC
    Ferrari 250GT*
    Ferrari 250 Testa Rossa*
    Aston Martin DBR1/300

Vintage Touring GTD
    Mercedez-Benz 300SL
    Last edited by sloppysmusic; 09-01-2020 at 00:02. Reason: added hyperlinks until realised images disappeared so quit
    The following 5 users likes this Post: chastewand, hkraft300, Maskmagog, Rolo F, SGETI

Platform
    PS4
    Whoaa incredible work mate. Good job. Putting lists like this is exhaustive.
    A few surprises there for me personally.
    Porsche 935 and 961, Logier JSP3, RWD P30 are big surprises among others.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10
    The following user likes this Post: sloppysmusic

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    Whoaa incredible work mate. Good job. Putting lists like this is exhaustive.
    A few surprises there for me personally.
    Porsche 935 and 961, Logier JSP3, RWD P30 are big surprises among others.
    Thanks man! I was so exhausted when I'd finished the project and all the tuning I packed the wheel away and got back into flight sims fors while. Someone on here persuaded me to out the info out though so I'm gonna do it.
    The P30 is one of the cars that just handles fantastically out of the box with default values. The following video shows how easy it is to throw around. I think I made this video a couple years ago so I took the car back out same track and beat my time slightly. Yes, some of the 'winners' surprised me too but when you're staring at better lap times there's no doubt. Almost all the cars were also tested on the Azure coastal road which is a real handful for any car. If you were racing exclusively on race circuits with smooth surfaces then there may be some variances to this list, but I wanted pick cars that would do well on every circuit in the game. Thanks for the feedback, first tune tweaks coming later today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQCe...ature=youtu.be

The final test for the Porches was Long Beach. I know the track very well and there's no room for mistakes with all the walls. They simply held their lines more consistently although some diff work was involved for sure. This list is not best cars out of the box but it started that way. Some cars HAD to be tweaked to complete so once I had started doing that every car got the same treatment. How good can it be? Let's find out!
    ��
    Last edited by sloppysmusic; 07-01-2020 at 15:55. Reason: Extra info

Platform
    PS4
    Ah. Interesting. I never drive the point roads, only race tracks.
    Yes, lap times don't lie.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Great effort! I would disagree with a few of those though. While I think in most classes you have indeed picked the fastest car, in Road E, the A45 is definitely not the fastest, when you have the C63, the 959 and the 288 GTO in the same class. In GT3 the Mercedes and Lambo are fastest in most tracks and in GTE it's the Ford and Chevrolette on top usually. Not absolutely sure about GT4, but I would be surprised if the fastest is indeed the AM. All the others I know about sound right.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Great effort! I would disagree with a few of those though. While I think in most classes you have indeed picked the fastest car, in Road E, the A45 is definitely not the fastest, when you have the C63, the 959 and the 288 GTO in the same class. In GT3 the Mercedes and Lambo are fastest in most tracks and in GTE it's the Ford and Chevrolette on top usually. Not absolutely sure about GT4, but I would be surprised if the fastest is indeed the AM. All the others I know about sound right.
    Thanks, yes some of these surprised me and defied expectations but they were all tested thoroughly on numerous tracks. The GT3 testing was actually done earlier by me i the thread below:

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...tup-Some-tests

I DID also tune every car here so it was easy for me to drive as fast and stable as possible. No car would be allowed to 'win' each class with me driving unless its lap times were at least 0.5s faster or more and consistently , lap after lap. Hold on to I can post the actual race tunes. To reiterate, this guide is not supposed to be the best hot lappers but the cars that could win races with the fastest race times overall. A large number were ruled out completely if I spun out or went off track regularly. It's supposed to be a beginner/intermediate thread! It's OK I'm not getting defensive here but these cars I found to be the easiest to win races of ten laps or more for ME. For a car to progress in its class for me it had to feel easy to drive fast with diff tweaks. I'm guessing the cars that people might differ with from this list are cars they drive the fastest with themselves. I used a lot of chalk on my blackboard doing these it was intense!

I think once I get all the tunes on here, I'd welcome anyone to post alternative cars WITH stable tunes that anyone can use, whatever is fastest for he majority of non-aliens is the whole point! Thanks for the input, I hope the tunes may explain better why these cars made the list.

EDIT - Maybe a better thread title would be BEST ALL ROUNDER CARS IN EACH CLASS FOR ALL ROAD AND STREET CIRCUITS?
    I think the Azure street course is the main reason most of the expected cars didn't make it.
    Last edited by sloppysmusic; 07-01-2020 at 20:26. Reason: clarification
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Hey, no worries, I just wanted to give also my personal experience with those cars, as food for further discussion! As I said before, I think you have done a great job with this in any case!

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Hey, no worries, I just wanted to give also my personal experience with those cars, as food for further discussion! As I said before, I think you have done a great job with this in any case!
    Thanks man, I'd love to see some more tunes geared (!) toward winning races rather than TT which is what I hoped to achieve with this thread. Getting the first screenshots done now
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    CanAm
    Porsche 917/10

In ALL the tunes I post in this thread, I am showing 2 radiator settings pages for both qualifying and racing. In every case the more closed setting is the QUALIFYING setting, and the more open the RACE setting. Lower % means Qualifying, higher % means Race. Please ignore fuel loads , set appropriately for your track. Q radiator settings are good for 5 laps or so, R radiator settings for 10 laps or more (at least 10 mins total)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scene 1 2020-01-07_15-14-53.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	122.2 KB 
ID:	276497Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scene 1 2020-01-07_16-03-25.jpg 
Size:	208.1 KB 
ID:	276498

Name:	Scene 1 2020-01-07_16-04-06.jpg 
Size:	213.2 KB 
ID:	276499Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scene 1 2020-01-07_16-04-38.jpg 
Size:	209.9 KB 
ID:	276500

Name:	Scene 1 2020-01-07_16-03-55.jpg 
Size:	210.4 KB 
ID:	276501
    Last edited by sloppysmusic; 07-01-2020 at 21:17.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Ferrari F355 Series
    Ferrari F355 Series

In ALL the tunes I post in this thread, I am showing 2 radiator settings pages for both qualifying and racing. In every case the more closed setting is the QUALIFYING setting, and the more open the RACE setting. Lower % means Qualifying, higher % means Race. Please ignore fuel loads , set appropriately for your track. Q radiator settings are good for 5 laps or so, R radiator settings for 10 laps or more (at least 10 mins total)

Name:	Scene 1 2020-01-09_16-08-00.jpg 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	276826Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scene 1 2020-01-09_16-08-30.jpg 
Size:	181.9 KB 
ID:	276827

Name:	Scene 1 2020-01-09_16-08-34.jpg 
Size:	187.9 KB 
ID:	276828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Scene 1 2020-01-09_16-08-36.jpg 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	276829

Name:	Scene 1 2020-01-09_16-08-43.jpg 
Size:	185.7 KB 
ID:	276830
    Last edited by sloppysmusic; 09-01-2020 at 21:09. Reason: uploaded setups again