Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 51

Thread: Covid-19 challenge

  1. #21
    GT4 Pilot
    Join Date
    May 2015
    Location
    Brazil
    Posts
    2,961
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by GrimeyDog View Post
    N.Y it seems to be Getting worse!!!
    The Lines at the "Gun" stores are Insane!!! Some Lines Stretch Around the Block
    Are people going to shoot the virus with a gun?
    The following user likes this Post: Olijke Poffer


  2. #22
    WMD Member cluck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    In the trophy cabinet, polishing my 2016 MVP trophy
    Posts
    5,423
    Platform
    PC
    The only challenge worth taking part in here is getting some groceries before the selfish idiots have panic bought everything - including extra freezers to fit in all the stuff they don't need but bought anyway.

    Unfortunately, I only got the news about this game after everybody else had played and won already. It's not like I have elderly relatives to care for or anything...*




    * and no, the "silver hour" initiative that a lot of the supermarkets have implemented is pretty pointless when they:

    a) don't police who's going in
    b) don't have any bloody stock on the shelves anyway, despite having closed all the fresh food counters to allocate those staff to shelf-stacking duties
    c) did I mention not policing who they let in, so it just results in a massive queue of people, many of whom might well be ill but have got so desperate that they had no choice but to go and run the gauntlet, thus running the risk of infecting all the other healthy folk, most of whom are old.

    /rant

    What was the challenge again? To write the rantiest rant in the thread? If so, hold my beer, I'll be right back with a PROPER rant
    PC Setup : Intel Core i5-8600K w/BeQuiet 240mm Silent Loop water cooler (overclocked to 4.5GHz) // MSI GTX 980 Gaming GPU // Gigabyte z370 Aorus Gaming 7 motherboard // 2 x 8GB Kingston HyperX DDR4-2666MHz RAM // Fractal Design Newton R3 800W PSU // Windows 10 64-bit // Fractal Design Define R4 case w/5 cooling fans // Acer Predator X34P 34" IPS 3440x1440 100Hz //
    The following 4 users likes this Post: blinkngone, Mad Al, pippinfort, PostBox981


  3. #23
    GT3 Pilot
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    4,022
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Christiaan van Beilen View Post
    Have you ever heard of the Georgia Guidestones? Also about the so called "FEMA Coffins"? Agenda 21 of the United Nations as well as Agenda 2030?

    I came across that stuff more than 10 years ago now, never considering anyone would dare to reduce the world population to 500.000.000 people.
    But if a virus reduces the number, all health services disappear and international transport of food, herbs, spices, thee, coffee, cacoa, beverages comes to a halt. We realistically due to shortages will be greatly reduced eventually, throwing society back to an almost medieval state.
    Just keep in mind that 1% of the population more or less in every country dies every year anyway. That means around 60 million people worldwide and around 200,000 people in countries with the population of The Netherlands. I do not know how high the deadly potential of this virus is, but at least for the moment we are far, far, faaaaaaar away from what you are suggesting.

  4. #24
    WMD Member pippinfort's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Liverpool
    Posts
    215
    Platform
    PC
    I was thinking about this 4% statistic that is being talked about.

    I wonder if there will be an equivalent population increase in 9 to 10 months time?
    GAME: Asus Rampage V Extreme || Intel® Core™ i7-6850K @ 4.5Ghz CPU / 3.9Ghz Cache || 4x4Gb DDR4-3200 || 1x nVidia GTX1080ti FE || Custom Loop CPU & GPU || Corsair 900D || Oculus Rift || G920
    GAME: Asus Sabertooth X79 || Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-1650 v2 @ 4.5Ghz (100x45)|| 4x4Gb DDR3-2133 || 1x GTX1060 || Corsair H100i GTX || XBox360 Controller
    HTPC: Asus P9X79LE || Intel® Xeon® Processor E5-2660 v2 || 4x4Gb DDR3-1866 ECC || 1x GTX1050ti || Noctua NH-D15 || Streacom ST-F12CB

  5. #25
    WMD Member Christiaan van Beilen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    3,517
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Just keep in mind that 1% of the population more or less in every country dies every year anyway. That means around 60 million people worldwide and around 200,000 people in countries with the population of The Netherlands. I do not know how high the deadly potential of this virus is, but at least for the moment we are far, far, faaaaaaar away from what you are suggesting.
    Agreed, for a country like the Netherlands the PM says he is aiming for a 50% to 60% infection rate in the hope to gain group immunity but he partially shut down the country in order as to not overload the hospitals.
    In a country of ours with 17.4 million citizens, and thus excluding those who for example are without citizenship like asylum seekers and those who are guest workers. If we talk about 60% than let's for the ease say 10 million will get infected. If 1% of that dies we are talking about a death toll of at least 100.000 people, or if it is the aforementioned 4% 400.000 people.
    Then we remain with 9.6 million who have resistance against the virus and 7.4 million who still need to get infected and see if they survive of which most will be elderly, the weak and those with little to no resistance who are now sheltered.
    If no vaccin is found than I think we could see a greater loss in that latter group of 7.4 million people than those 400.000 of the 10 million we lost in the first wave.

    Of course still far from 500.000.000 people world wide. Plus the Netherlands is extremely vertile land as we are the 2nd exporter of agracultural products after the USA, a country that is much larger.
    So I doubt we will starve of hunger and we will be as heavily affected.

    As for the rest of the world I find it hard to judge as I don't live in each respective countries, and don't know how much produce each and every one can bring to the table and feed their own with.
    Christiaan's Pure FFB (latest version: v1.06 (date: 14-01-2020)): http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...ARS2-FFB-File)

    Nicknames elsewhere on the web (incl. Steam, XBN, PSN, etc): LogiForce or LogiForce86

    System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - EVGA RTX 2080 XC ULTRA 8GB - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - LG OLED55B8PLA TV

    Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)

  6. #26
    GT5 Pilot rich1e I's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2016
    Posts
    1,385
    Platform
    XBOX1
    You really don't want to listen to conspiracy theorists and other clueless people, because, you know, they have NO expertise. Social media are full of misinformation. What you need, especially in challenging times like this, is fact checking sites and serious people.
    Last edited by rich1e I; 20-03-2020 at 18:56.
    The following 4 users likes this Post: Christiaan van Beilen, Fiyah, FS7, PawelK


  7. #27
    GT3 Pilot
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    4,022
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Christiaan van Beilen View Post
    Agreed, for a country like the Netherlands the PM says he is aiming for a 50% to 60% infection rate in the hope to gain group immunity but he partially shut down the country in order as to not overload the hospitals.
    In a country of ours with 17.4 million citizens, and thus excluding those who for example are without citizenship like asylum seekers and those who are guest workers. If we talk about 60% than let's for the ease say 10 million will get infected. If 1% of that dies we are talking about a death toll of at least 100.000 people, or if it is the aforementioned 4% 400.000 people.
    Then we remain with 9.6 million who have resistance against the virus and 7.4 million who still need to get infected and see if they survive of which most will be elderly, the weak and those with little to no resistance who are now sheltered.
    If no vaccin is found than I think we could see a greater loss in that latter group of 7.4 million people than those 400.000 of the 10 million we lost in the first wave.

    Of course still far from 500.000.000 people world wide. Plus the Netherlands is extremely vertile land as we are the 2nd exporter of agracultural products after the USA, a country that is much larger.
    So I doubt we will starve of hunger and we will be as heavily affected.

    As for the rest of the world I find it hard to judge as I don't live in each respective countries, and don't know how much produce each and every one can bring to the table and feed their own with.
    Also you have to note that in the huge country of China, the total number of fatalities is 3,000... Of course nobody knows, but I find it very hard to believe the Netherlands will reach 100,000.
    Last edited by cpcdem; 20-03-2020 at 19:57.
    The following user likes this Post: Christiaan van Beilen


  8. #28
    GT3 Pilot BigDad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Lakeside QR
    Posts
    3,458
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Also you have to note that in the huge country of China, the total number of fatalities is 3,000... Of course nobody knows, but I find it very hard to believe the Netherlands will reach 100,000.
    Im not so sure we can believe China's numbers, but maybe it's true being a dictatorship, the people are forced into lock down where say Italy continued as normal for a little while and the virus may have had time to take hold.
    GPU: Galax GTX1080Ti EXOC / CPU: Intel i7 7700K@ 5.1GHz/ Cooler: Noctua NH-u14s/ Mobo: Asrock z170 Extreme4/ RAM: 16GB Trident Z 3200mhz C14/ PSU: CM V750/ Storage: 4TB WD/250GB Evo 850 SSD/ Case: Storm Enforcer/ OS: Win 10/ Display: AOC 27" 1080p triples 5760x1080 / GT Ultimate/ Wheel: Fanatec CSW v2/ Formula v2 - magnetic shifter Mod / CS Universal Hub - magnetic shifter Mod/ Pedals: CSR Elite/Steam/2ndLastJedi

  9. #29
    WMD Member Christiaan van Beilen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Groningen
    Posts
    3,517
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Also you have to note that in the huge country of China, the total number of fatalities is 3,000... Of course nobody knows, but I find it very hard to believe the Netherlands will reach 100,000.
    Agreed, but there are different approaches to how to handle the issue at hand. Whereas China completely shut down, the Netherlands chooses to have its people become infected in an as controllable way as possible.

    There is a reason as to why Germany says it wants to shut the border with us if we don't implement the same policies for instance. It's for fear that our approach might be the wrong one.
    Christiaan's Pure FFB (latest version: v1.06 (date: 14-01-2020)): http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...ARS2-FFB-File)

    Nicknames elsewhere on the web (incl. Steam, XBN, PSN, etc): LogiForce or LogiForce86

    System: Intel i7 2600k @ 4.2GHz - Noctua NH-D14 - MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) - Vengeance LP 16GB 1600mhz - EVGA RTX 2080 XC ULTRA 8GB - AverMedia Live Gamer HD (1080p@30hz capture card) - OCZ Vertex 4 256GB (FW: 1.5) - Creative Soundblaster X-Fi titanium champ - Logitech Z-560 4.1 - LG OLED55B8PLA TV

    Input: Logitech Wingman Formula Force - Logitech G25 - Thrustmaster T500 RS - Thrustmaster TH8 RS - Fanatec ClubSport Wheel - Fanatec ClubSport Pedals V1 & V2 - Fanatec ClubSport Shifter SQ - Fanatec ClubSport BMW M3 GT2 rim - Fanatec ClubSport Formula rim (*italic = in use)

  10. #30
    GT3 Pilot
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Posts
    4,022
    Platform
    PC
    I don't know, guess we have to see how the next 5-6 or so days go. But looking at how several countries have extremely few casualties so far, even weeks after the virus has reached Europe, maybe it's a sign for some optimism.

Similar Threads

  1. Overtaking Challenge
    By rudie1975 in forum The Driver Network - Screenshots & Videos
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 24-08-2015, 23:31
  2. Vintage GT 67 Mk IV Challenge
    By rayh271 in forum Project CARS on Playstation 4
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 26-07-2015, 22:10
  3. Sonoma challenge....
    By Goods_1973 in forum Driver Network Community Events & Leaderboards
    Replies: 65
    Last Post: 26-06-2015, 20:41
  4. Car Challenge Leaderboards
    By graveltrap in forum Feature Suggestions
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 17-06-2015, 18:56
  5. Zero To Hero challenge
    By SinCitySimRacing in forum General Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-06-2015, 14:07

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •