Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some tips for safety rating

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4

Some tips for safety rating

Hey guys,

When I first bought the game I started racing online soon after. I enjoyed online racing for a bit on Ps4, but then I got rammed too much and I just called it quits. Iíve stuck to single player since. Key driver for me to call it quits was just me finding it impossible to get past F rating, as when I tried to race, overtake, and generally be competitive, I would get rammed by guys who are clueless. I had F, working my way up, got rammed, went back to U, and quit.

Until this weekend - I thought Iíll try it out again. And after a few races, most clean, a few minor side by side scratches here and there in corners in the normal course of racing, I was finally on the verge of F ranking again to get into lobbies to avoid all the Us. Then came the race that made me call it quits again:

TCs at Red Bull Ring. I decided not to qualify and start last to avoid the undoubted carnage youd have in the beggining. By turn 2 i have gone from 16th to 8th. By the 2nd lap I am (at least I thought) battling for 4th. I exit the last corner, get a good run. Guy ahead of me is slower and takes the fully defensive line. I think, great, he knows what hes doing this will be fun close racing. But as i had a better exit and run I am going to have a better spot on the outside line. He sees that and as i am about to over take, turns into my line, and brakes 2 m ahead of me. And of course I crash as I would never have thought that would happen. Big crash. 3 other cars crash into me as I get left in the middle of the turn. Bye bye thought of increasing saftey rating. Iím calling it quits.

Honestly, Iíve read threads here saying to just race on your own behind everyone for a few races to get your rating up. Is that really a way that works? I feel like I am trapped in hell in U rating. And iím unfortunately not one of the guys that can qualify first and coast to victory. I am usually mid to front pack, racing against fools.

I know this sounds like a rant, but what Im really asking for - please, any tips you can give me will be great. Is the only way out to drive around uncompetitively for a few races, avoiding any racing, to get my ranking up?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    I used to be quite sensitive re unprovoked incidents. Then I found GT6 Quick Match racing, no holds barred but with penalties. It was quite frustrating initially & I am poorly skilled @ retaliation. So I set about learning to spot potential traps and mean drivers. Then I started honing my defensive skills and toughening up my sensitivities. It was a very rewarding pleasure to have a brake checker dive in front and mash the binders only to drop to my rear and lose 1 or more positions because I sensed it developing and left his lane just in time.
    I may never see an "S" rating or 1500+ but I'm having fun and learning better skills.
    Find a car you like to drive & can control, a track you know, & host your own lobby. Make everyone drive the same car. Short qual time & 3 or 4 laps (7-10 mins). You will have your ups & downs but you will break through "F" when you encounter a fair courteous driver friend them & be kind your self.
    Last edited by SCClockDr; 18-03-2018 at 14:56.
    Regards, George
    PCars GOTY, PCars2 Digital DE, PS4 500G, G29, TB Stealth700 HS, RS Dash, SIM Dashboard, Crew Chief, & Discord Audio Chat.

I started life with nothing & have managed to keep most of it!
    The following 3 users likes this Post: davidt33, Demon340, hkraft300

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    I try to join the highest available safety ranking I can join.
    Everyone who can join must have at least the same safety rating.

Anything with U is a risk. And indeed sometimes its frustrating. But hence we all make mistakes, i dont retalliate (that will influence the rating aswell)

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    All I can say is that you have to remember that you are racing with people in there houses playing a game. Not professional, trained, race drivers. So unfortunately you have to expect that sort of thing. Yes, I agree, it's frustrating, but this is the player base we are racing against. If you don't have intentional rammers, that's at least good. What you describe is a good approach by you, and making your way through the field is good for your rating.

You don't need to drive around uncompetitively. But you do need to drive defensively, assuming everyone out there is a bit wild. You might need to be really patient and find the spot to pass after a corner, trying to get a better exit than the guy in front. Or keeping the pressure from behind, hoping he will go off-track. Passing on the outside is not an easy pass to make... and it's pretty reliant on the other guy really being a top notch driver and knowing really what he's doing. I have raced in several of the higher safety ranked lobbies, and although the infamous outside pass does happen, it's not so common. You see dives up the inside much more often, and this is also frustrating because you usually get bumped off to the outside.

Don't give up. If you'd like to up your safety rating, you can. It won't happen in one race, and it takes more and more races the higher you go through the ranks. You won't finish first every race. I think my podium rate is around 35%. I'm OK with that.
    PSN: Atak-Kat44
    Steam: Atak_Kat
    The following user likes this Post: davidt33

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    To not retaliate was un-natural at first, I had to gut it out over time. That was with GT6 & no longer an issue for me in PCars2.
    Regards, George
    PCars GOTY, PCars2 Digital DE, PS4 500G, G29, TB Stealth700 HS, RS Dash, SIM Dashboard, Crew Chief, & Discord Audio Chat.

I started life with nothing & have managed to keep most of it!

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    PM sent.
    Education is important but racing is importanter.

Jockeys I3ollix
    CSL Elite, Clubsport V3i Pedals
    FFB Settings, Raw, 60, 60, 55, 55.

Platform
    PS4
    Add some of the guys from the forum on the same platform. Run some close races.

Whatís more frustrating than a wrecking U driver? An experienced B1600+ who should know better, but heís still B because he doesnít race clean. It happens.

Sus out the behaviour of a driver before you pass him. See how he reacts to you being on his tail for half a lap or 3. Brake early, try the over-under move and avoid passing on straights.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Atak Kat, Xx-Rickdj82-Xx

Banned
    You can try also lobbies with only a few drivers.
    The ovals are also a nice way to increase it.

Yesterday I made the mistake of getting in to a lobby with 13 people, most of them F....
    Had to get out. I dropped a letter just for being rammed.

And the system should be smarter. If you get rammed from behind or sideways and you are on your line, you shouldn't be penalized in ranking.

I'm almost at B and I need to be really careful about choosing the lobbies.
    Last edited by foxymop; 19-03-2018 at 09:33.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    Add some of the guys from the forum on the same platform. Run some close races.

What’s more frustrating than a wrecking U driver? An experienced B1600+ who should know better, but he’s still B because he doesn’t race clean. It happens.

Sus out the behaviour of a driver before you pass him. See how he reacts to you being on his tail for half a lap or 3. Brake early, try the over-under move and avoid passing on straights.
    I've pretty much given up trusting the safety rating... I'm stuck at A... And was in a race with 5 or 6 S drivers around Daytona road course, and one of the S drivers bumps me twice. Might have been lag... But truthfully, the safety rating doesn't necessarily depict their cleanliness. It's more a measure of whether they've hit the grinder it or not...

@OP: If you want clean, you need to join a structured league. Accidents will still happen, but they're genuine rather than intentional ramming. I see you're on a PS4, I race in a PS4 league that's always looking for new drivers - we've got slow, medium and fast. Running events Mondays, Wednesdays and Saturdays mostly UK-based but a mix of Europeans in there too. Check it out if you're interested: http://marmiteracingcommunity.enjin.com/

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Thanks for the messages everyone. I guess I’ll stick to it and try a little more. I think my takeaways are 1) races with fewer racers, where I’ve been doing the exact opposite and 2) the marmite league. I’ll look to potentially join, the only issue I may have is that mid-week races a 8:30 pm are a bit difficult for me given my schedule, but I’ll try it out. I will try not to get frustrated out again.