Thread: project cars 2 doesn't steer

Rookie
    Platform
    PC

Exclamation project cars 2 doesn't steer

hello, I have a problem with project car 2, in game it doesn't steer, l I have a thrustmaster 458 italia; when I go to set the steering wheel the everthing works perfectly, (calibration detects the rotation of the wheel) but in the game the car does't steer, I tried to use a gamepad(xbox360) and the keyboard but i have the same problem, i also forced off the steam input per-game settings, I also use the steering wheel on project cars and it works perfectly.

My pc specs:
    Windows 10 (64bit)
    CPU= AMD Ryzen 5 1500X quad-core processor
    GPU= NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    IIRC the Thrustmaster 458 Italia (non-FFB) wheel is not officially supported. The closely-named Thrustmaster TX 458 (FFB) is supported.
    Don't know if you can make it work anyway.
    Thrustmaster TX, Italia 458 wheel, T3PA-Pro, Firmware 54, Xbox One X, public OS, 28" 4K monitor
    Don't miss Yorkie065's excellent videos: Ep26-LiveTrack pt1. Ep 27-LiveTrack pt2.
    Project CALC - proper PC2 leaderboards for console - Forum thread

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Maskmagog View Post
    IIRC the Thrustmaster 458 Italia (non-FFB) wheel is not officially supported. The closely-named Thrustmaster TX 458 (FFB) is supported.
    Don't know if you can make it work anyway.
    I'm a friend of the poster, answering on his behalf hoping to clear up a few things you might have missed in his post.

The fact that the wheel isn't officially supported has *clearly* nothing to do with it, for the following three reasons clearly outlined in the OP's post:

1. The Keyboard and an Xbox gamepad don't work either
    2. The wheel is correctly detected and even steering is detected perfectly during calibration, it's the in game steering that doesn't work
    3. The wheel wasn't supported in pCARS 1 either but it works well there, given that it's very similar to the older Thrustmaster GT Experience wheel that is officially supported.

Moreover, on PC "wheel isn't supported" usually means you have to map everything manually, even if you have very obscure and no-name wheels: as long as you have drivers for them you can use pretty much any wheel on any game, given that you take the time to manually map everything.

has he unticked all the controller settings in Steam as well as forcing off the per-game input (and I assume he tried forced on, too?)

also has he tried to delete the config file, Documents\Project CARS 2\\savegame\<Steam ID Number>\project cars 2\profiles\default.controllersettings.v1.03.sav
    (make sure Steam Cloud sync is OFF for the game first)

Ryzen R7 3800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite - 16Gig DDR4 (Ballistix Elite 3600) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 860 250G SSD, WD 6T Black, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - Gigabyte GM-M6880X Gaming Mouse - Fanatec GT3 RS V2 + CSP V3 + SSH Shifter - Windows 10 Pro (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. Ryzen R5 3600X - Asus Prime X570-P - 16G DDR4 (Crucial Ballistix 3200) - EVGA RTX2060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i5-4590S - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad

YouTube channel - My attempt at a PC2 Career - a work in progress! - Trying other other racing content

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Al View Post
    has he unticked all the controller settings in Steam as well as forcing off the per-game input (and I assume he tried forced on, too?)

also has he tried to delete the config file, Documents\Project CARS 2\\savegame\<Steam ID Number>\project cars 2\profiles\default.controllersettings.v1.03.sav
    (make sure Steam Cloud sync is OFF for the game first)
    Tried all of that, didn't work sadly.

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    He reinstalled the game (he is on a slow connection so he was reluctant to do that), now gamepad and keyboard work, but the wheel is still recognized and seems to work in the settings, but it doesn't work in game.

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    he changed some settings and got it to work.

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Care to share what settings? I just bought PC2 and have the same symptoms with my X360 wireless wheel

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by squidage View Post
    Care to share what settings? I just bought PC2 and have the same symptoms with my X360 wireless wheel

"controller fluidity", set it to 0, sometimes work sometimes not (i don't know why); if it is already on 0 try 100

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by M0SE25 View Post
    "controller fluidity", set it to 0, sometimes work sometimes not (i don't know why); if it is already on 0 try 100
    Bingo!

I had the same issue with my ancient XBox 360 Mad Catz 2 wheel (USB support, so it works on the PC too)...everything worked in calibration but at race time no steering. Changing the Controller Damping from the default 100 to zero worked...