Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: VR kit that you use for PC

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I have Index and Rift S.

I use the Index for iRacing and Rift S for PCars 2.

Reason for this is the Steam VR has horrific reprojection - you really dont want that with Steam VR..... Oculus have fantastic reprojection meaning I am perfectly happy at 40fps locked - meaning I can bump up the eye candy.

iRacing does not need it because they have SRS which really helps meaning I prefer the Index due to the greater fov (not game changer difference but definitely quite noticable).
    6700K / 2080TI / 16GB DDR4 / SSD x 2 / M2 x 1 / Dell U3415W / NLR F1GT / Oculus Rift S / Valve Index / Fanatec DD1 / ClubSport V3 Pedals / SQ v1.5 Shifter
    The following 3 users likes this Post: John Hargreaves, MrTulip, PostBox981

Platform
    PC
    I've used the original Oculus Rift, HTC Vive Pro with the gear VR lens mod and currently use the HP Reverb. The Reverb for me has been a game changer, screen door effect gone, god rays almost gone. The graphics now look photo realistic even with most of the settings set to low and SuperSampling set to 1.0. SteamVR at 100%.

The only settings that I perceive made the most difference in VR were Textures set to high and MSAA set to low, medium or high. When I set the MSAA to medium the game is AMAZING! The blurriness/shimmering in the distance is gone and the cars look photo realistic. But you need a 2080Ti to run those settings and you can't turn ON MSAA on medium in night or rain races. I'm kinda a snob when it comes to visual quality and willing to pay what it takes to get the best visual experience in VR. But when I play games on 2D monitors I don't care as much and am Ok with running on 1080p with a GTX1070. I think with the 1080Ti and 2080 you can run the Reverb, you just can't turn ON any MSAA or PostAA, you have to keep SS at 1.0 and SteamVR at 100%. Also everything will need to be set at low, except textures which can be set at high. So the visuals won't be as amazing but still better than all other headsets, IMHO. There is a 25-30% difference in performance between the 1080Ti/2080 to 2080Ti in Project Cars 2.

For a budget VR headset I would recommend a used Oculus Rift or Oculus Rift S (if you are lucky to find one in stock). All VR headsets are out of stock.
    Last edited by DaWorstPlaya; 02-05-2020 at 17:04.
    What line?
    PC: Ryzen7 3700x, RTX 2080 Ti, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD HD, Oculus Rift, Vive Pro and HP Reverb
    Wheel/Pedal: Fanatec Clubsport wheel, pedal, shifter and handbrake
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem

Rookie
    Platform
    XBOX1

PC specs

Sorry to OP if this is a bit of a thread hijack:

I've been racing PCars2 on Xbox, and want to move to PC so I can start using it with VR.

I'll be getting a Rift S
    I'll need to buy a new PC to run this though: my current PC is 7 years old which has been sufficient for to keep my 15 year GTLegends addiction going, but...

Can anyone advise what spec PC I'll need for Rift S and PCars2?
    Do I just go with the general minimum specs per Oculus website?
    Or do I need something better for a decent RiftS + PCars 2 experience?

I know PCars3 is on the horizon too, so I'll want the new PC to be up to sniff for that too when it lands.

Cheers guys.

Platform
    PC
    My 3800x/1080ti combo ran PC2 on the Rift S at medium-ish settings. (Although I think I was able to run high AA)

A 3600X (or even non-X) should be plenty CPU power, but I would try to get a 2070 Super or stronger for the GPU.

Also, the new AMD CPU's go almost as fast as they can "out of the box" so there is not a lot to be gained from overclocking. Fast RAM helps more than an overclock. 3200 C14 or 3600 C16 is what I would shop for.
    Steam name: z1nonly Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/z1nonly172 YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Z1NONLY/featured
    Windows 10 / 3800X / GTX 1080 ti / 16gb DDR4 @3800 / HP Reverb Pro / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5
    The following user likes this Post: 23e Heure

Platform
    PC
    Biggest problem at the moment will be to get a Rift S as it is sold out for months now (thank you Corona) with no word about the future. Same with the Valve Index IIRC.
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900X | Mainboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3200 | GPU: nVidia Geforce GTX 1080 ti Founders Edition | HP Reverb Pro | Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64 | Controls: Fanatec DD1 Wheelbase / Forza Motorsport Wheel / Clubsport Pedals V3 / ClubSport Shifter SQ

In case you´re looking for some clean and relaxed online racing, with 1+ hrs of racing time, including pit stops, fuel consumption and tyre wear, take a look at this: www.malzbierbude.de

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    I am using the original Samsung Odyssey with prescription lens inserts added which is very good but as it was my first VR headset I have nothing to compare it too.

I might be tempted by the HP Reverb G2 when it is released but would need new prescription inserts for that, which will bump the cost another £100+.

I am using a Ryzen 3950X, RTX 2080ti, 64GB RAM with a custom cooling loop.