Thread: Multiplayer Failure Disaster

Rookie
    Platform
    PC

Angry Multiplayer Failure Disaster

I just spent over an hour trying to race on line and I have had no success. I have raced online before but this was a disaster. I am playing on a triple screen PC.

Attempt 1: GT3 on Laguna Seca

About halfway through qualifying on a hot lap the AI took over the car and drove slowly, then pitted me. There were no other cars or contact or off track or other driving offence that could have triggered a penalty or something else. So I clicked ready to rejoin the race. The server provided control to the driver in pit lane to I turned on speed limiter and drove to the end of pit lane. As soon as I crossed the exit the AI took over again. I was able to repeat trying to get back on the track 5 more times - every time the AI refused to let me drive. Eventually the qualifying ended and I stayed stuck on the qualifying summary screen while the race started without me. I eventually quit back to menu.

Attempt 2: GT3 on Spa.

Normal qualifying in every way, qualifying ended, once again the race started and left me behind in the qualifying summary screen and the race started without me.

Attempt 3: GT3 on Monza.

For the first time ever at any time PC2 disconnected from the Fanatec controller. I could change gear but it was ignoring all input (even in the calibration menus). Exit PC2, test controller using control panel (all good), restarted game and controller was working again. Note that PC2 has now been rebooted but NOT the PC.

Attempt 4: GT3 on Red Bull Ring

Same as attempt 2: normal qualifying followed by an inability to get past the summary screen at the end of qualifying. The race started and I was given no opportunity to join in.

So 45 minutes of qualifying plus time pent waiting or stuffing around and absolutely no success in racing.

What is going on? Are these know bugs? Or are they known issues with a fix? Is it a server or client issue? Does anyone else know why this is happening? A relaxing afternoon in PC2 turned into a ridiculous waste of time and frustration.

Can anyone help with explaining the above?

Manuzza

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Yes, they are known bugs and are very frustrating, but it's not like they happen in every race, more like every 10 or so races. If it's happening to you in every single race, you are either extremely unlucky, or something goes very wrong because of something particular in your system, but I cannot imagine what this might be. What's your internet connection like, is it good enough?

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Internet connection is generally rock solid - if there is an issues it is usually a real outage (5 mins or more) and you know for sure there is an issue. There was definitely no outage.

I have never had the issue before then 3 in one sitting.

What about th AI talking over and retiring the car? I have had that a few times before. Why does that happen?

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    It's just an error (bug) somewhere in the code that handles multiplayer, exactly why it happens we would need to have the source code to tell why...
    Did those problems happen again after your previous attempt? Maybe there was something specific happening then, causing all this. Maybe it will not happen again for sometime.

Platform
    PC
    There must be some issue with your computer or system or connection, or this was a temporary glitch on the servers. I race online all the time, I did more than 500 online races. I get serious problems like disconnects or race crashing or race never starting after quali (for everyone) maybe once in 20 or 40 races. Never had AI take over my car, or the controler (Thrustmaster wheel) disconnected.

BTW, if you posted right after you raced, I finished a successful online race about an hour before your post. No problems, 12 laps, a lot of fun (I went from P5 on the grid to P1 to P12 to finish in P2 :-) )
    Frenzy Conducive "Benzine Wagons" Being "Tuned-Up" By Mechanicians

A few simracing videos

Close enough to enjoy the sounds of the TT-circuit
    Platform
    PC
    Isn't unexpected AI takeover a dedicated server thing? We run Pcars 2 almost very single week since release, and never ever had it happen. Only time I experienced it was on a random dedicated server.
    Life's too short to front wheel drive
    DD1, Fanatec Universal Hub, SQ V1.5 Shifter, CS Handbrake V1.5 , V3 pedals, INNO3D 1080Ti, 3900X, 55" UHD LG/Vive, Denon AVR-3808

/// MaximusDoriftus (Steam)

Platform
    PC
    Could it happen with dedicated server network problem? Maybe a timeout from the server to the client? Then AI takes over to recover the car. Just thinking out loud.
    CPU Intel i7-9700K @ 4.9 GHz all cores | Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | RAM 16GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU nVidia RTX2070 Super 8GB (451.48) | Audio Realtek 5.1 on MB | Screen AOC U3477PQU | OS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    In-game settings: 3440x1440 | Texture Resolution HIGH | AF 16x | VSync ON (adaptive) | AA None | Reflections HIGH | Envmap HIGH | Vehicle HIGH | World HIGH | Shadows HIGH | Motion Blur NO | Render Frames Ahead 1 | Particles HIGH/HIGH/HIGH

PC2Info, a PC program that shows most stats the game provides over UDP
    "Dunning–Kruger effect is strong in simracing."

Platform
    PC
    My Fanatec disconnected in game for the first time ever last week. I have almost 2k hrs in PC2 and PC2's code has not changed in a long time.

I thought the disconnect was just something going on with my equipment, but now I suspect it may have something to do with a recent Steam update after which I have been getting warnings that PC2 is not compatible with my Oculus headset.

Windows 10 has also updated recently and it's always on the suspect list when software is a possible issue.
    Steam name: z1nonly Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/z1nonly172 YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Z1NONLY/featured
    Windows 10 / 3800X / GTX 1080 ti / 16gb DDR4 @3800 / HP Reverb Pro / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5
    The following user likes this Post: PawelK

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Please try this:

- Open "Windows Defender Antivirus" console
    - Select "Virus and Threats protection"
    - Select "Virus and Threats settings"
    - Select "Add or remove Exclusions"
    - Using the "+" icon, add to the exclusions the FOLDER where you installed Project Cars 2 AND ALSO the Project Cars 2 FOLDER under your "Documents" folder (this last one is created by the Software to hold various settings and stats)

This thing of hang/crash when starting a multiplayer race after the qualifying phase has been bugging me for weeks. The above steps completely solved the issue in my case, and apparently also other people on other forums are reporting this as a working fix

HTH