Thread: wheel/FFB newb needing advice.

Platform
    XBOX1

wheel/FFB newb needing advice.

Hello, my world recently changed after I came into some extra money and i bought a tmx wheel. I just love it. I have watched the yorky, I think its spelled, youtube video on FFB and got a idea but I figured i would ask for advice on here before i just start messing with stuff. I love the feeling of the total FFB slider on 100 or 75 except at tracks like the lemans straights i get a violent fast wobble ( i guess from the road bumbs) that literally makes the car jerk or shimmy quickly from side to side. I would like to lower that effect down some without lowering the over all strength of the total FFB. Any advice on what slider that may be? TMX on xbox one informative setting. The immersive setting or raw setting makes the effect worse. Thanks

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Congrats, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! I took me some time to change from controller to wheel. I was slower at first. But it's a lot more fun, and much more immersive.
    I had the violent wobble on Vintage Le Mans, and turned down FX to below 20 I think. Actually I think I have FX on 0 now, imo it made the ffb better. I would say that ffb is very subjective, just try different settings and find something you enjoy.
    Thrustmaster TX, Italia 458 wheel, T3PA-Pro, Firmware 54, Xbox One X, public OS, 28" 4K monitor
    Don't miss Yorkie065's excellent videos: Ep26-LiveTrack pt1. Ep 27-LiveTrack pt2.
    Project CALC - proper PC2 leaderboards for console - Forum thread
    The following user likes this Post: kevin kirk

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Maskmagog View Post
    Congrats, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! I took me some time to change from controller to wheel. I was slower at first. But it's a lot more fun, and much more immersive.
    I had the violent wobble on Vintage Le Mans, and turned down FX to below 20 I think. Actually I think I have FX on 0 now, imo it made the ffb better. I would say that ffb is very subjective, just try different settings and find something you enjoy.
    Same here, about 20 or 25 on the FX slider did the trick and might go lower. I am alot slower than controller but im loving it. I get faster everyday but still making some mistakes that was partly do to having the FX slider up to 50 and learning left foot braking.
    Last edited by kevin kirk; 19-05-2020 at 19:12.
    The following user likes this Post: Maskmagog

Platform
    PC
    Start with setting the gain at 95-100, that gives the full potential force that your wheel can deliver, how much of that actually comes through is then done with the volume. Once you get those two roughly right, the tone can usually stay in the middle (lower emphasises the movement of the car body and higher is more the up/down of the front suspension iirc), and FX gives 'texture' like road surface and vibrations. Informative is a bit more subtle, immersive has everything notched up louder, and raw is more suited to higher end DD type wheels.
    If you get chance to (temporarily) assign buttons to volume/tone/fx you can do it live while driving, like adjusting the car radio, so it can be set to taste quite quickly.
    i7-7700K/GigaByte RTX 2080/Win10 64bit/32Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/HP Reverb/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Another wheel newbie here (WMD2 folks, yep, really - turns out a global pandemic putting an end to my weekends away is what it took for me to get one!).

Had mine since Tuesday, and been focused on a TT challenge I've been involved with since forever over at GTP. I'm reasonably competitive using a pad with those guys most of the time (unless it's at the Nordschleife lol). For this weeks challenge I set myself a {very average) lap time on the pad before I really started using the wheel just to get a reference point. Having watched Yorkie's vid and messed about a bit I've got some initial wheel settings but this is still very much a work in progress.

The thing that has made the biggest difference for me (and this is almost certainly a result of years of pad use meaning I'm used to very direct steering) is the wheel rotation - I've currently got mine turned right down to 360 and, for now at least, it feels about right. This may or may not help other pad refugees, it's working for me at the moment.

Right now I'm just under a second off my pad time, and hoping to see a green sector or two tomorrow....
    System: Core i7-7700HQ @ 2.8GHz | 16GB RAM | GTX1070 (laptop) 8GB | 250GB M.2 + 960GB SSD + 2TB HDD| Win10 Home 64bit | Logitech G29 | Oculus Rift S
    The following 3 users likes this Post: John Hargreaves, kevin kirk, Mad Al

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Iím Xbox X and have a TMX, and I found it incredibly hard to dial in a feel i liked. The TMX is a good wheel, but pretty low down the pecking order of wheels in the world. I found FX was the biggest culprit for me personally. With it set any higher than 0 the wheel felt confused by the amount of info being fed to it, too many jerks, wobbles and rattles. As soon as I reduced it to 0, dialling in the rest of the settings using raw allowed me to then tailor the rest of the feel to my own preferences.

Again as others have said, settings are very personal as they work I feel, and everyone feels things differently. But fx was definitely the game changer moment for me.

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by TinPeach View Post
    I’m Xbox X and have a TMX, and I found it incredibly hard to dial in a feel i liked. The TMX is a good wheel, but pretty low down the pecking order of wheels in the world. I found FX was the biggest culprit for me personally. With it set any higher than 0 the wheel felt confused by the amount of info being fed to it, too many jerks, wobbles and rattles. As soon as I reduced it to 0, dialling in the rest of the settings using raw allowed me to then tailor the rest of the feel to my own preferences.

Again as others have said, settings are very personal as they work I feel, and everyone feels things differently. But fx was definitely the game changer moment for me.
    its the first wheel i have ever used. I am finding its a balance of the most FFB it can do before it starts to loose the smoothness during turning and starts to making that knocking or banging feeling around the center when catching over steer. When the rotation starts to feel like i am turning gears instead of a smooth feeling steering wheel rotation.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by kevin kirk View Post
    its the first wheel i have ever used. I am finding its a balance of the most FFB it can do before it starts to loose the smoothness during turning and starts to making that knocking or banging feeling around the center when catching over steer. When the rotation starts to feel like i am turning gears instead of a smooth feeling steering wheel rotation.
    It is normal for this wheel to clunk around the centre and feel ' geary', it is a gear driven wheel and that feeling of meshing gears is always present to a degree.
    The clunk is a small amount of slack being taken up by an anti lash spring as the wheel changes direction.
    As the wheel ages the geary feeling decreases.
    I hammered mine for over two years befor upgrading and the wheel remained reliable but the pedals eventually fell apart, I managed to put my foot through the foot rest and the pedals got wonky potentiometers.
    Xboxx, 58 inch TV, real fov 80, Sim Labs GT1 evo rig, Fanatec csw2.5, Shifter, v3 pedals, Mclaren Gt3 rim, Sparco Grid q seat.
    Join stoopid time trial challenges for satisfaction https://www.stoopidchallenges.com

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Zaskarspants View Post
    It is normal for this wheel to clunk around the centre and feel ' geary', it is a gear driven wheel and that feeling of meshing gears is always present to a degree.
    The clunk is a small amount of slack being taken up by an anti lash spring as the wheel changes direction.
    As the wheel ages the geary feeling decreases.
    I hammered mine for over two years befor upgrading and the wheel remained reliable but the pedals eventually fell apart, I managed to put my foot through the foot rest and the pedals got wonky potentiometers.
    like i said its my first wheel and to be honest i am not sure what its suppose to feel like or suppose to be doing. I love it though and just got it like a month ago so im still experimenting to find what i want it to do out of what its capable of doing.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    The tmx is a mix of belt and gears - so tends to feel smoother than a pure gear driven wheel but not as smooth as, say, the next wheel up in the range the tx which is pure belt.

Not sure if this will help or not, settings are very personal after all, but just in case mine are: Raw; G 95; V 50; T 65; FX 0; MSS 0.05. Dead zones are all 0 and sensitivity at 50 throughout. Only other thing is make sure the game sees the wheel as the tmx and it is calibrated.