Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is Custom Offline Championship in PC3 a deal breaker for anyone else?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Question Is Custom Offline Championship in PC3 a deal breaker for anyone else?

Now I loved PC1 and PC2, but I did feel a little misled after they said you could add AI to fill in the Custom Online Championship prior to release in that Q&A. And then later, Ian said they were looking into adding Custom offline Championship as post release content for PC2. Of course it was never added and offline players were left with either playing through the career again, or doing as many "one off" races as you could possibly take (I am aware some people enjoy this or even just doing nothing but hot lapping).

Personally I need on track competition to be engaged in a random series of races, and I also want to play all of the DLC tracks and cars I have purchased. So a Custom offline Championship would have been perfect, I used the custom career mod for PC1 and freaking loved it! It saved the game for me, but unfortunately there was no such mod for PC2 (a far superior game in my eyes, I cannot go back to PC1). But my interest in PC2 waned once all of my career was completed and single custom races become somewhat meaningless, as I enjoy asking crew chief what position my series rivals are in during a race and strategising pitstops in order to keep enough points to still win the series etc. All of that disappears with single random races.

I am very excited for PC3, I hope it includes DX11 (I play in 3D) and REALLY hope this time it includes a true Custom Offline Championship. Because the career mode is pretty short, while it looks huge at first, the amount of races for each series was surprisingly limited. I barely even saw some of my favorite tracks during the entire career.

This is not a negative post, I love the game and am extremely happy a third one is being worked on - it's just been missing a very important feature that has been requested over and over in this very forum. Maybe if enough people co-sign, they will make sure to include it this time...
    The following 4 users likes this Post: apex53, chastewand, seb02, xkkkx

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    what was the custom career mod like for PC1? I'd never heard of it.... what did it do?

Did it make it so you could modify the cars and tracks on the career calendar? Did it change the way contracts are offered? I stopped playing pCARS1 career mode when, after getting my slow Mustang GT4 waay up the grid, in a hard AI, where only the Ginettas and Astons were competing, my reward for my hard work was exactly nothing. No offer to join the upper tier teams and fight for wins. There was no way to get my Mustang into podium positions, other than turn the AI down and "win". What was the point of that?
    Last edited by Javaniceday; 03-06-2020 at 18:12.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    by the way, yes a custom career mode is essential. I think Reiza's gonna have that in their game.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Yes, a custom offline championship is a deal breaker for me, the lack of it in PC2 made me stop playing the game after about six months.
    Sorry for my bad English
    XBOX ONE X Thrustmaster TX with TM Leather 28 GT - Pedals T3PA - Shifter TH8A - Wheelstand Pro DELUXE V2
    The following 4 users likes this Post: apex53, chastewand, Sampo, seb02

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Unless the AI is radically improved, balanced for tracks and weather, a lot more defense savvy, a lot more capable of starting a race without leaving a good 15 places of easy overtaking in the first lap, a lot more even in speed to player capabilities, who honestly cares about any racing against them?

The litany of AI problems in PC2 (with many of them seemingly copied wholesale into AMS2 from what I have seen) make offline racing championships pretty moot.

Now, that's not to say they might not be. iRacing's new AI is promising, allowing a ton of customization of ability and approach on a car by car basis, and AMS2 has already patched the AI a couple of times in beta (not much improvement from what I can see, though). But SMS's AI have little in common with real drivers. And haven't exactly been trumpeting new behavior other than demonstrating some gamer thuggery in the trailers.

So, what's the attraction to offline?

I'm more hoping for a better online, better matchmaking, better penalty detection etc. so that those traumatized into racing offline only can get back to racing the only opponents worth a damn!

Unless you LIKE being able to make up an easy 15 places before the second sector, I guess!

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Unhappy

after reading the IGN article, I think a custom offline championship is more important than ever. If my only options are a single custom event or Forza-like career...there's not much for me here...

https://www.ign.com/articles/project...ing-supportive
    The following 4 users likes this Post: apex53, chastewand, Ixoye56, seb02

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by BabyDriver View Post
    Unless the AI is radically improved, balanced for tracks and weather, a lot more defense savvy, a lot more capable of starting a race without leaving a good 15 places of easy overtaking in the first lap, a lot more even in speed to player capabilities, who honestly cares about any racing against them?

The litany of AI problems in PC2 (with many of them seemingly copied wholesale into AMS2 from what I have seen) make offline racing championships pretty moot.

Now, that's not to say they might not be. iRacing's new AI is promising, allowing a ton of customization of ability and approach on a car by car basis, and AMS2 has already patched the AI a couple of times in beta (not much improvement from what I can see, though). But SMS's AI have little in common with real drivers. And haven't exactly been trumpeting new behavior other than demonstrating some gamer thuggery in the trailers.

So, what's the attraction to offline?

I'm more hoping for a better online, better matchmaking, better penalty detection etc. so that those traumatized into racing offline only can get back to racing the only opponents worth a damn!

Unless you LIKE being able to make up an easy 15 places before the second sector, I guess!
    Agreed the AI needs to improve but online is full of intentional wreckers that spoil the potential unless you commit to league racing. That is if you have a decent internet connection. For me living rurally, 2.5mb down 0.5 up and 75ms ping on a good day online gaming is not an option, so offline custom championships are a must.
    The following user likes this Post: shiftee

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Well its confirmed in the PCGamer interview that online only has 3 modes; matchmaking, community events, and custom race. So they have removed online championship, if they have removed online championship, I doubt they would have added an offline championship

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by chastewand View Post
    Agreed the AI needs to improve but online is full of intentional wreckers that spoil the potential unless you commit to league racing. That is if you have a decent internet connection. For me living rurally, 2.5mb down 0.5 up and 75ms ping on a good day online gaming is not an option, so offline custom championships are a must.
    Online only needs host kick to return and room titles (missing on consoles) to at least the cleanliness it had before host kick nerfing ruined it. And the same griefer tools that other arcade game have (ghosting back markers and rammers) to be even better!

As to AI behavior, it's not exactly on a car by car basis, so custom championships seems a bit moot when everyone drives essentially the same. I can see the point of being able to specify which cars in a Class you want to exclude, but that's better fixed by a BOP system than simply restricting the field, isn't it? Until the AI can be set on a car by car and detailed basis (like the new iRacing AI), it's one size fits all.

Other than that, a paper and pencil gets you all the Championship you need. Custom races on a single race basis and do the math yourself. It's not like these Championships count if you can set them up any way you want... There's no comparing apples to apples here.

Or am I missing something?

Platform
    PC
    Custom offline championships was one of the features I feel would have put PC2 near perfect. Sure we have the custom grid tool mod, but a built in official feature would have been fanstastic
    The following user likes this Post: apex53