Thread: PC3 curated online discussion

Banned
    Platform
    PS4 Pro

PC3 curated online discussion

Just wondered how the community is feeling about SMSís decision to go all iRacing, Sport Mode and ACC on us?

Any thoughts about what will be needed in the way of better penalty and track off detection?

Personally, Iím jazzed. I donít have sufficient time (pre-COVID!) to participate in a full league, but a daily time zone split matchmaker race system could possibly aid in finding players of similar skill with a more serious bent than the casual players.

How do we feel about this?

Platform
    PS4
    Sounds great.
    Need more information.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10
    The following 2 users likes this Post: rich1e I, Stewy32

Banned
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    I’m wondering if some of the current leagues are a bit worried..?

PD adding SportMode kind of scavenged a large percentage of the GTP league community, offering a similar experience without as rigid a timeframe for participation that leagues have to. With the player base spread globally, having identical matched races across time zones kind of unites the player base a bit more than our currently fractured community is. And there really is no current standardized pickup race system for PC2 (nerfing host kick pretty much ensured that!), and Daily Races is pretty popular in GTS.

Platform
    PS4
    Reckon they are worried. Most people think it's a completely new game. What if lobby host functionality is poor, or race weekend systems are gone? That'll prevent the ability of a lot of sim racing competition.
    Not likely, given sns technology of dynamic weather and livetrack would've been an expensive tech to develop.
    I'm hoping for a better, more advanced pcars2 underneath with all the functionality we currently have.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

Banned
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    I rather think how well SMS implement their penalty system and online reputation (or whatever replaces it) is probably going to determine how badly leagues get impacted.

The bad news is, no matter how bad the GTS community bitches about the penalty system sucks, it still hasn’t prevented Sport Mode from scavenging the public lobby system. Perhaps the hardcore in PC2 will quickly abandon it, but they are fed by the public lobby drivers wanting to level up, and if curated races scavenge those, the food chain is disrupted.

But SMS better prepare themselves for an endless storm of bitching! Automated stewarding is a poor substitute for real ones. But maybe the current base having had to deal with no host kick will consider it an improvement over what they’ve had to endure for the last two years!

Platform
    PS4
    I think there's still going to be a place for league racing, even if it's a highly successful MP system.

I mean, leagues still exist in iracing. Right?

Anyway, on the flip side, with a greater player base, what if the league numbers swell? Not entirely a bad thing.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

Platform
    XBOX1
    Good Leagues are generally pretty strong. I have seen some Leagues keep running thru some pretty BAD racing games over the years. The only problem Leagues will have is does the League as a whole like the game. If they like the game then they will make adjustments based on what the game offers.

The flip side of this argument is a League race is just a well organized Multiplayer Race. Most guys join Leagues because they cant find serious well organized races in Public Multiplayer. Unless a feature like Online Championships is being used its just a Multiplayer race. If more guys can jump on and find good racing in Public Multiplayer then it may impact Leagues a little but for those Long Races and Highly structured events I just cant see any Public Multiplayer system replacing Leagues.

I cant wait to see what's coming. I got a strong feeling that SMS has a lot more to show.
    CAR AIN'T GOT NO ROOF!!!!! - Young Dro

All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small - Lao Tzu
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PS4
    If there's an influx of shit head drivers in the public lobbies (the type sms is looking to attract) it'll push more sim racers towards leagues.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10
    The following user likes this Post: DECATUR PLAYA

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    If there's an influx of shit head drivers in the public lobbies (the type sms is looking to attract) it'll push more sim racers towards leagues.
    I can't wait to see what SMS has planned.
    CAR AIN'T GOT NO ROOF!!!!! - Young Dro

All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small - Lao Tzu

Banned
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    You really have to look at GTP league participation to get an idea of how curated racing is going to impact the current leagues.

For starters, if the player base is a decent size, it pretty much guarantees the better drivers will never get to see the 'sh*t heads' as their player rating will be too low. Assuming that the player rating gets a MUCH needed overhaul, that is. If it's PC2's, we are boned!

But during PC2's high player participation days (I think we are 10% or less of peak online participation now the covid bubble has burst) there were enough A and S level players that we didn't need to join U rated rooms just to find players. That's not the case nowadays. Pretty tough to find S level rooms any more.

But curated, Sport Mode type races have one huge advantage that leagues just can't possibly meet. Split times for identical races, so players from all over the world can compete without having to race at weird times. I think that is what is driving GTS so well, the uniting of the community despite different time zones. A unified experience, and comparable scores. Leagues are a shadow of that. It seems to be damn popular on GTS.

I think the hardcore will still need human stewarding, so the elite remain in leagues (but still compete in the curated stuff in their spare time), but I can't see how curated online won't severely thin the demand. I used to be strongly involved with clean GTP public lobbies in GT5/6, but few of those players are doing public lobby any more. Sport Mode is pretty much king there.