Thread: Stutter in VR - think my CPU is the issue

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Stutter in VR - think my CPU is the issue

Hi all,

Specs are in the signiture but recently upgraded from an I5 4690k to a AMD R9 3950x and a 980ti to a 5700xt wanted to wait a bit but the 980ti died.

When playing in VR I get a few stutters and blips looking at the GPU useage it has loads of headroom but 1-2 cores of the CPU are very loaded clipping quite a bit at 100%, I already run -pthreads 4 and skip crowds in the launch options, can anyone sugest setting that ease the load on the CPU, I tried -pthreads 8 but that went back to using 2 threads.

I've disbaled hyperthreading (SMT) and chnaged PBO to let all the 16 cores boost to 4.25 - 4.3.

I only really hotlap so no load from other cars or weather.

Thanks
    AMD 3950x - 5700 XT
    Thrustmaster TX - ClubSport Pedals V2
    Microsoft Windows 10 - RIFT CV1
    16Gb (2x8Gb) DDR4 3200MHz

Platform
    PC
    The 3950X should not be the limiting factor in that setup. The 5700XT, while a a strong GPU, is the weaker of the two links. The "headroom" on the GPU is deceptive in that you are effectively running a 90fps V-Sync with the CV1. Frametime is the metric you want. I use FPS VR and it shows both GPU and CPU frame times. (My 3800X always has the lower frame time compared to my 1080ti.)

I would start by taking everything back to stock and try to optimize game settings.

What graphics settings are you running BTW?
    Steam name: z1nonly Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/z1nonly172 YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Z1NONLY/featured
    Windows 10 / 3800X / GTX 1080 ti / 16gb DDR4 @3800 / HP Reverb Pro / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
    The 3950X should not be the limiting factor in that setup. The 5700XT, while a a strong GPU, is the weaker of the two links. The "headroom" on the GPU is deceptive in that you are effectively running a 90fps V-Sync with the CV1. Frametime is the metric you want. I use FPS VR and it shows both GPU and CPU frame times. (My 3800X always has the lower frame time compared to my 1080ti.)

I would start by taking everything back to stock and try to optimize game settings.

What graphics settings are you running BTW?
    Thanks Twinz, nor running very high setting, low on everything apart from track details - high and MSAA on Med.

Sadly FPS VR does not work with the Rift, I went back to stock and the CPU was still loaded to 100% on two cores with a lighter load on 2 more so -pthreads 4 is working, now running nearly identical setting to the old i5 4690k and the 980ti very odd.

I fully get the 5700xt is the weaker link (albetit still better than the 980ti) thats why it's odd its the CPU hitting 100%
    AMD 3950x - 5700 XT

Platform
    PC
    My 3800x has individual threads spike all the time, but I don't get the stutter issue.

I have never tried this, but if you can run the rift in steam vr mode rather than oculus mode, FPS VR might work.

Try low or now AA just to make sure the GPU has an easy ride while testing. I don't think AA loads the CPU so if turning it off makes things run smoothly, you may have a GPU load issue.

Also, pthreads sounds like an extra variable in the mix. My 3800X runs PC2 smoothly without that program.

I would simplify as much as possible to troubleshoot. (Even leave out the monitoring software for a few attempts)
    Steam name: z1nonly Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/z1nonly172 YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Z1NONLY/featured
    Windows 10 / 3800X / GTX 1080 ti / 16gb DDR4 @3800 / HP Reverb Pro / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5

Platform
    PC
    Did you do a fresh install of Windows 10 and fresh reinstall the game? Or did you just swap the motherboard and CPU on the same OS? If you did the later, that's your problem I'm guessing.
    What line?
    PC: Ryzen7 3700x, RTX 2080 Ti, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD HD, Oculus Rift, Vive Pro and HP Reverb
    Wheel/Pedal: Fanatec Clubsport wheel, pedal, shifter and handbrake

Platform
    PC
    maybe disable. high precision event timer? in device manager? got rid of stuttering on normal gaming for me that was happenin for no reason at all.. once disabled u can enable it if it doesnt help or makes worse but it shouldnt do anything noticeable unless it stops the stuttering and thats really noticeable lol. i couldnt stand it . especialy was happening in games i wasnt using vsync,, alot .. not so much in racing games kuz i dont mind playing them at 75fps/75 hertz on a ultrawide monitor. using virtual resolution to get the resolution to 4 k . and it works great. but ya had this happening in Modern Warfare

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Hi all,

It was the 5700xt kind of....

The driver overhead for the 5700xt took the cpu 28% longer than the 980ti, so although the GPU times are better it ended up a lot more juddery, all tested witin the oculus debug tool logged two laps on both GPUs with the same setting, 980ti dropped no frames, 5700xt dropped 27 with more preformace headroom very odd

Have gone back to the 980ti and retunred the 5700xt

Will wait for the refund to clear see if the 3070 is out or get a or 2070 super for 70.00 more than the 5700xt.

In short for project cars 2 Nvidia is the way to go, if project cars 3 can use more than 4 threads that might change.....
    AMD 3950x - 5700 XT