Thread: What motherbard shoudl I buy? - Help!

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

What motherbard shoudl I buy? - Help!

Hello everyone!

I have just sold my Notebook and now I'm going for a Desktop.
    Until now what I have bought:
    EVGA 2080 Super Hybrid
    I5 10600K

I need some help choosing the motherboard, I want something that could use for the next years, but also I don't want to spend money on something that I would not use. I have in mind overclocking a little bit the I5, but nothing hard.

For example, the MAXIMUS XII is usually used for overclocking, but maybe it has some features that in the future I will need them, or they will be used right now with better results, or I will not need a motherboard for the next... 6 years??... Cooler, faster, I really don't know. Mi idea in the future (and depends on how things go) I want to upgrade to a I9

The options I have are the following

ASUS ROG MAXIMUS XII Z490 Hero -> 397
    Asus ROG STRIX Z490 E -> 283
    MSI MEG Z490 GAMEMING CARBON ->269
    MSI MEG Z490 ACE -> 389

Maybe out there is something better?

What do you think about it?

If here is not the place to post it I kindly ask the administrator to erase it.

Thanks a lot for the advice!

Platform
    PC
    With Intel the problem is that every CPU usually means a new socket and then a new Motherboard. Looks this time the Z490 will work with 10th and 11th gen, but with Intel you never know.
    The 11th gen will came soon and 12th gen is announced for next year, finally with 10nm and other socket change, so I don't plan any change in next months.
    I was fan of ROG series, but after changing Mobo after each CPU upgrade, I decide to go for non-premium motherboards anymore.
    Other option would be Ryzen that is a very good option for the money, and the next gen will arise probably in september.
    CPU: Intel i7-8700K | GPU: nVidia RTX2080Ti | RAM: Gskill 2x8GB DDR4 3200 | MB: Asus ROG Strix Z370 | SSD: Samsung EVO 970 500Gb | Monitor: Acer Predator Z35P UW WQHD | Wheel: Fanatec DD1 + Porsche Endurance + Formula 1 V2 | SO: Windows 10 Pro 64bits
    WMD1 & WMD2 Gold Member /// Steam Profile /// Unofficial Issue List /// Button Box Label Template /// DS Flags Calculator /// Open Weather App /// DS Config Samples /// Google Standings /// PC3 wish list
    The following user likes this Post: Rolo F

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    The problem is that I already have the CPU, I know about the socket issue, but also I don't want to update the CPU in a long long time, up to 11th gen for me is fine. Finally, the issue is.. worth the usd 130 the step up? I'm not that type of guy that upgrades or changes things often...

Cheers!!!

Platform
    PC
    I would just go with the cheapest option if you have to go Intel. MSI MEG Z490 GAMING CARBON

I agree with Asturbo, Personally I would just sell the i5 CPU and get a Ryzen5 3600X with a nice B550 motherboard (MSI Tomahawk) and know that it has PCI 4.0 and will support the Ryzen 4000 series CPUs. It's a no brainer.
    What line?
    PC: Ryzen7 3700x, RTX 2080 Ti, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD HD, Oculus Rift, Vive Pro and HP Reverb
    Wheel/Pedal: Fanatec Clubsport wheel, pedal, shifter and handbrake

Platform
    PC
    CPU Intel i7-9700K @ 4.9 GHz all cores | Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Pro | RAM 16GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU nVidia RTX2070 Super 8GB (451.48) | Audio Realtek 5.1 on MB | Screen AOC U3477PQU | OS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit | Wheel Logitech G27
    In-game settings: 3440x1440 | Texture Resolution HIGH | AF 16x | VSync ON (adaptive) | AA None | Reflections HIGH | Envmap HIGH | Vehicle HIGH | World HIGH | Shadows HIGH | Motion Blur NO | Render Frames Ahead 1 | Particles HIGH/HIGH/HIGH

PC2Info, a PC program that shows most stats the game provides over UDP
    "Dunning–Kruger effect is strong in simracing."

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sampo View Post
    After a lot of videos... and after that also, I bought the Strix Z490 E, I don't like Gigabyte (just bad experiences before), MSI unify is too much (I don't OC too much everything) and my las notebook was a Zephyrus S and it was awesome... That same guy on another vid told that MSI boards are putting too much voltage on the CPU "stock" (the high-end ones)..

So over USD 300 were banned because they have too many features that I would not use... Under 250 also because I want to OC everything a bit. The final battle was between Carbon and Strix... this was just stomach... Strix