Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: A Eulogy to PC1 & 2 (title changed)

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Sentry87 View Post
    Can't people grieve in peace anymore? You'd think if we complained about the game in a single thread instead of every thread everyone would be happy. But I think they're trying to clean house here
    That would be ok... If it were to be in a single thread.
    It would even be ok complaining about issues in every thread.
    But the same complaints in every thread is pushing it.
    Nothing to do with cleaning house either, just making sure this forum will still have use to exist or is only being used for negativity and shooting down positivity...
    Last edited by Konan; Yesterday at 05:16.
    AN OUTLAW MIGHT GIVE IN TO DESTINY BUT HIS LEGEND LIVES ON FOR ETERNITY!

DIY rig walk-through :

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...nd-walkthrough

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
    I think you missed my point.

I was pointing out the trouble with "idealisation" as a means of glossing over downgraded realism.
    No I got your point.

I just disagree with it.

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank621 View Post
    Okay, I'm going to try and avoid going on a tangential ramble again but I find to concept of 'sim' vs 'arcade' very trivial, they are labels which seem to act as a specific umbrella terms for generalising groups of games but in reality.
    Every single game in the world to some extent or another falls into both categories. Take Forza Motorsport, for example, no one calls that a simulator yet it still attempts to simulate motorsport and the act of driving a car at speed. Same for PCars 3 the words 'sim' and 'arcade' are being bounced around like a ping pong ball but it does attempt to stimulate the act of driving a car at speed as accurately as possible. Even Rocket League at the end of the day is simulating a game of football with cars, it is just done in a fun way.

I feel like it's the human obsession with over categorisation and 'either'/'or' in reality. Maybe I just don't like arbitrary categorisation but I feel like the 'sim' vs 'arcade' debate is and always has been redundant and entirely subjective. Not everything simulates every aspect of something and it would be impossible to do so.

It's a semantic argument that means nothing and is mostly used for cheap point-scoring rather than contributing to a meaningful discussion about things.

...dammit I'm rambling again.
    Completely agree, but let's not go from one extreme to the other. Simulation games explicitly contain code to simulate real life physics. There's the notion out there that every game is a simulation because it's simulating driving a car somewhere but that's kind of diluting the criteria for a simulation game.
    Forza is a very good example. Forza started as the first and pretty much only racing simulator on Xbox. T10 clearly coded real life physics into the game, e.g. tyre pressure and temps affects grip and other things like aerodynamics. By today's standard it's rather on the light side of simulation but it's far from being completely arcade.
    Forza is also a very good example for the branding discussion. Forza Motorsport was very motorsport focused, with lots of motorsport features and proper race cars. After a few iterations T10 started to forget its motorsport roots, they added less and less race cars, instead they flooded the game with tons of road cars while the race cars department soon consisted of just a few outdated race cars from from a distant past. Forza Motorsport clearly had slowly left the motorsport path but they kept the name because it's become a brand with recognition value. So, sometimes games change direction over the years but they keep the name because that's marketing.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: MrTulip, Tank621

Platform
    PC
    Yeah, this is why I'm really not surprised they've taken an extra year for this new Forza game, and they seem to be doing something of a reboot as the game will simply be called Forza Motorsport. Initial news is also suggesting a larger focus on Motorsport, for example the trailer certainly hinted at that.

I suppose everything sits in one big grey area in reality everything does some aspects better or worse than other games. I just feel like trying to put games into neat little boxes is a redundant exercise and doesn't add much to any discussion and yet it is 'sim' vs 'arcade' that always dominates any new racing game. It's all a highly subjective semantic debate and one that has never particularly interested me.
    Video Game Race Car and Track Database- Discord: https://discord.gg/GJxRqc
    Project Cars 3 Content List: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...and-Discussion
    Xbox: tankbuster621 Steam: Tank621 Playstation: Tankbuster621
    The following 2 users likes this Post: rich1e I, r_outsider

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Tank621 View Post
    Yeah, this is why I'm really not surprised they've taken an extra year for this new Forza game, and they seem to be doing something of a reboot as the game will simply be called Forza Motorsport. Initial news is also suggesting a larger focus on Motorsport, for example the trailer certainly hinted at that.

I suppose everything sits in one big grey area in reality everything does some aspects better or worse than other games. I just feel like trying to put games into neat little boxes is a redundant exercise and doesn't add much to any discussion and yet it is 'sim' vs 'arcade' that always dominates any new racing game. It's all a highly subjective semantic debate and one that has never particularly interested me.
    Yeah, the broader discussion has become really bizarre with so much unfounded nonsense and baseless claims. Once a very well know esports racer from a very well know esports team told me that GTS was more of a simulation than PC2. Absolutely baffling how someone can reach such a conclusion. So, to me it looks like wherever these guys discuss these things and pick up that absolute nonsense it doesn't seem to me a 'healthy' environment where you throw around different opinions and ideas and reach the most informed conclusion.

Forza is heavily invested in esports with huge prizes to win, they need the competitive Forza community. With GT Sport Forza was losing more and more of these players and they needed to react. They really got too complacent and were on their way into complete meaninglessness. Calling the new game just Forza Motorsport and not FM8 could be a sign that they want to get back on the Motorsport path. They announced a new tyre model, track limits and a driver rating were introduced. They had to do something and they're moving now.
    The following 5 users likes this Post: GTsimms, Maskmagog, MaximusN, r_outsider, Tank621

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Konan View Post
    That would be ok... If it were to be in a single thread.
    It would even be ok complaining about issues in every thread.
    But the same complaints in every thread is pushing it.
    Nothing to do with cleaning house either, just making sure this forum will still have use to exist or is only being used for negativity and shooting down positivity...
    I was kind of joking, but still im not sure everyone gets all of their news at once. I wouldn't expect things to let up anyone soon. Especially closer to release and after release.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by rich1e I View Post
    Once a very well know esports racer from a very well know esports team told me that GTS was more of a simulation than PC2.
    I still think, when it comes to vehicle handling SMS had the best overall handling with PC2. I have yet to play ACC and AMS2, but have them in my Steam library. But, I was never big on AC, RF2, or RaceRoom. I think, what drew more people to AC was the feel of the steering rack. But, what threw me off was the street tires being death traps and they still are!

(From my Discord posting below)

That's the thing. People are not understanding SMS most likely had to make a decision. Which hopefully will be better for everyone in the future.

SMS had to work with a smaller budget compared to games like GT and Forza which have 2-3x or more of the SMS budget.

Unfortunately, the sim market could get hammered by licensing vehicles from manufacturers and track ownership.

Example: we know that X track is wanted by the sim community. But, can you as a dev. reasonably spend 1/4 of the game development funding to place a single track in a game. The game price would increase substantially.

That would put a lot out of business or having to give a subscription to a game and extra funding for the track which has been done. But, does it generate the overall income to really support it?
    Wheel Settings All of My Games (Slow WIP 8/2019)
    PC's used during WMD 2
    PC 1 Win 10 Home 64bit MSI 970 Gamer/FX-8350(4.2), 16GB Crucial, Sapphire R9 290 Tri-X OC (MSI AfterBurner 1100 and 1425)
    PC 2 Win 10 Home 64bit ASUS Prime X370-Pro/Ryzen 7 1700X 3.77 GHz, 32 GB Corsair Veng 3200 @ 2933,
    MSI GAMING X GTX 1070 (MSI AfterBurner 120/89/137/425)
    PC 3 Win 10 Home 64bit ASUS Prime Z270-A/i7 7700K 4.5 GHz, 32 GB GSKILL Trident White 3200, EVGA SC GTX 1070 (MSI AfterBurner 109/89/124/425) Oculus Rift CV1 (VR Cover for eyewear)

Monitor LG 29" Ultrawide 2560x1080
    Steam, Origin, Uplay, and Epic (GTsimms)
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Konan, rich1e I