Thread: Ran out of fuel on my first lap and other strange occurrences

Rookie
    Platform
    PC

Ran out of fuel on my first lap and other strange occurrences

Hi,

Bit of a newbie to online racing, but have been loving my first few races and am in awe of how quick some of you guys are. After some fairly embarrassing performances I have been working on my accuracy and pace trying to improve my licence rating from its current low level. The frustrating thing is that every time I feel like I'm getting somewhere odd things happen that seem outside of my control.

Yesterday for instance, 1 lap from the end of a race a steam friend request popped up and my PC automatically switched from the game to the steam window. By the time I'd switched back I was in the wall. Today, I qualified really well (for me anyway) and started the race only to run out of fuel 3 corners in! Last week I was disqualified on the grid for no apparent reason. I'm beginning to this someone doesn't like me...

Are these recognised glitches or am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by BKR0411 View Post
    Yesterday for instance, 1 lap from the end of a race a steam friend request popped up and my PC automatically switched from the game to the steam window.
    I sometimes see Steam popups but they come and go. I race in VR though. What has happened to me is when I press the gas pedal while in the pre-race screen (not on the grid, the ready-up screen) a steam VR popup shows up and to get back to the game I need to take off my headset, find a VR controller (which is elswhere in the room), wake it up and use it to return to game. There maybe not enough time and others may be gone from the grid by the time I am back. I learned not to touch the gas pedal unless on track.

Today, I qualified really well (for me anyway) and started the race only to run out of fuel 3 corners in!
    Did you maybe use a setup from another racer picked up in the time trial mode? Some of these are set to 0 or minimal fuel because in TT mode there is no fuel consumption. Always check if you have enough fuel before you race. And with a buffer, if it is a 6-lap race give yourself enough fuel for 7 or 8 laps, because the game only makes an estimate and will never be 100% accurate. Until you are very good, the additional few liters won't make any difference to your performance on track, and you don't want to ruin a good race by running out of fuel and stopping just before the finish line on the last lap... BTDT.

Last week I was disqualified on the grid for no apparent reason.
    I think I have only seen DQ for speeding in the pit lane, failing to serve a DT penalty, or driving in the opposite direction. So not sure what happened here.
    Frenzy Conducive "Benzine Wagons" Being "Tuned-Up" By Mechanicians

A few simracing videos

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks for the detailed reply, that's really helpful.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks for the reply. That helps a lot.