Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Still willing to shell out cash for some pCARS2 DLC

Platform
    PC
    It's definitely a bit of a mixed bag at the moment, but is clearly heading in the right direction. Some people who bought it expecting a fully finished, well polished experience have been disappointed, but anyone who enjoys working in the development stages of a game has had a great ride so far. There is a beta ongoing, which is a bit like a slightly more closed off version of PC2 development and WMD. New cars and features get released and they still need refinement, even going from the beta to the v1.0.

All that being said, when it's good it is very very good and gives a sense of the promise of the long term project.
    The developers are based in Brazil, so the main emphasis of the game is to cover most of the major Brazilian motorsport series, which is pretty lively and varied, but they are adding quite a lot of European tracks too. It also covers pretty much the whole history of F1 with mostly fantasy cars done to the relevant specs for the years, so you'll recognise what they are supposed to be.

It feels like a more advanced and mature version of PC2 in terms of physics and especially force feedback, and the AI are enjoyable to race against. I don't think online is quite so fully realised yet, so if that's your main thing maybe wait a while. The UI and whole design is a bit more simple and low key rather than GTSport slickness, but it gets the job done. I mostly enjoy the tin top cars, so the Ginetta GT4, BMW M1, Brazilian Stock cars and sprint cars, JCW Mini challenge are all very enjoyable. I'm getting a bit slow for F1, but again there are some great cars. Single make, club type events vs AI, like the support races you see at a race weekend are perhaps the most satisfying way to enjoy it currently.

I bought into the full package, beta testing + future dlc content, and have about 260hrs so far between the beta and release version. I've enjoyed it so far and it keeps getting better with regular updates. I've had more than my money's worth already.
    The people who dislike it seem to be the ones with a hatred of Project CARS, and quite strict ideas about how a sim should feel based on their favourite sims rather than reality. Some parts of it are definitely in need of further work, but to me there is plenty of good stuff to enjoy and I'd say it's my go to favourite sim currently. Another point is that it's had some great support from SMS with the game engine, and wouldn't have been possible without help from Ian and the gang.
    i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/HP Reverb/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following 4 users likes this Post: cpcdem, gregc, Keena, roddypoddy

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hargreaves View Post
    It's definitely a bit of a mixed bag at the moment, but is clearly heading in the right direction. Some people who bought it expecting a fully finished, well polished experience have been disappointed, but anyone who enjoys working in the development stages of a game has had a great ride so far. There is a beta ongoing, which is a bit like a slightly more closed off version of PC2 development and WMD. New cars and features get released and they still need refinement, even going from the beta to the v1.0.

All that being said, when it's good it is very very good and gives a sense of the promise of the long term project.
    The developers are based in Brazil, so the main emphasis of the game is to cover most of the major Brazilian motorsport series, which is pretty lively and varied, but they are adding quite a lot of European tracks too. It also covers pretty much the whole history of F1 with mostly fantasy cars done to the relevant specs for the years, so you'll recognise what they are supposed to be.

It feels like a more advanced and mature version of PC2 in terms of physics and especially force feedback, and the AI are enjoyable to race against. I don't think online is quite so fully realised yet, so if that's your main thing maybe wait a while. The UI and whole design is a bit more simple and low key rather than GTSport slickness, but it gets the job done. I mostly enjoy the tin top cars, so the Ginetta GT4, BMW M1, Brazilian Stock cars and sprint cars, JCW Mini challenge are all very enjoyable. I'm getting a bit slow for F1, but again there are some great cars. Single make, club type events vs AI, like the support races you see at a race weekend are perhaps the most satisfying way to enjoy it currently.

I bought into the full package, beta testing + future dlc content, and have about 260hrs so far between the beta and release version. I've enjoyed it so far and it keeps getting better with regular updates. I've had more than my money's worth already.
    The people who dislike it seem to be the ones with a hatred of Project CARS, and quite strict ideas about how a sim should feel based on their favourite sims rather than reality. Some parts of it are definitely in need of further work, but to me there is plenty of good stuff to enjoy and I'd say it's my go to favourite sim currently. Another point is that it's had some great support from SMS with the game engine, and wouldn't have been possible without help from Ian and the gang.
    I'd echo all of that - as long as you go in fully understanding that it's very much in continuous development then there is a lot of fun to be had. The only reason I haven't got some serious hours on AMS2 as yet is ongoing pCARS2 stuff over at GTP taking up most of my gaming time.

I particularly enjoy the fact that they've gone for some more unusual (from my perspective) content - all the Brazilian tracks, truck racing (awesome fun!), and most especially the amount of historic content. I've bought the season pass, even thought it does look relatively pricey, based mainly on the amount of historic tracks it should include.

Oh, and did I mention that truck racing is great fun ?

System: Core i7-7700HQ @ 2.8GHz | 16GB RAM | GTX1070 (laptop) 8GB | 250GB M.2 + 960GB SSD + 2TB HDD| Win10 Home 64bit | Logitech G29 | Oculus Rift S
    The following 3 users likes this Post: BartZ, John Hargreaves, Keena

Platform
    PC
    It feels like a more advanced and mature version of PC2 in terms of physics and especially force feedback
    For me, it's a step back from PC2 physics-wise. Sure, the curb behavior is better but I don't feel the dynamic nature of the tires in AMS2 (yet). I did some back to back comparisons with the Ginetta and the tire behavior of PC2 is closer to what I experienced when driving a real GT4 Ginetta. I do like that AMS2 removed the SoP FFB (and so did PC3 for that matter) which I believe was the cause for most users disliking PC2's FFB as well as anti-SMS'ers claiming "pendulum physics".

I have hopes that Reiza will continue to develop their tire carcasses, but right now, I still prefer the Street & GT tires in PC2. While I don't think the formula tires are as dynamic as they should be in AMS2, I will say aside from the PC2 Indycar, they are better than other formula cars in PC2 at this early stage.

If I could put the AMS2 formula tires into PC2, I'd be a happy camper.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following user likes this Post: John Hargreaves

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by gregc View Post
    I've bought the season pass, even thought it does look relatively pricey, based mainly on the amount of historic tracks it should include.
    Worth every penny though.

Great video BTW!
    i9. 2080ti. 256RAM. Liquid cooled. Thrustmaster T300RS GT + F1 wheel
    The following user likes this Post: gregc

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks for the detail John (and everyone else), much appreciated! Looks like I might have to dip my toe in. Im almost totally single player orientated so itll be fun to compare with what Im used to, with an open mind and the realisation that it'll take time to form a view. The truck racing looks mental! Shades of the M25 slip roads
    Last edited by Keena; 28-10-2020 at 16:29.
    The following user likes this Post: gregc

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    For me, it's a step back from PC2 physics-wise. Sure, the curb behavior is better but I don't feel the dynamic nature of the tires in AMS2 (yet). I did some back to back comparisons with the Ginetta and the tire behavior of PC2 is closer to what I experienced when driving a real GT4 Ginetta. I do like that AMS2 removed the SoP FFB (and so did PC3 for that matter) which I believe was the cause for most users disliking PC2's FFB as well as anti-SMS'ers claiming "pendulum physics".

I have hopes that Reiza will continue to develop their tire carcasses, but right now, I still prefer the Street & GT tires in PC2. While I don't think the formula tires are as dynamic as they should be in AMS2, I will say aside from the PC2 Indycar, they are better than other formula cars in PC2 at this early stage.

If I could put the AMS2 formula tires into PC2, I'd be a happy camper.
    A week or two ago I would agree with you, but I'm thinking of the latest beta version 1.0.4.7 when the Ginetta seems to be making a lot of sense to me. I'd be interested to hear your opinions of its current version (unless that's the one you referred to)

Also, by 'more advanced' I just meant that a couple more years experience has improved certain things such as sticky kerbs, and yes, I agree on the F1 tyres. David Coulthard's car is a fine piece of work.
    Last edited by John Hargreaves; 28-10-2020 at 17:29.
    i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/HP Reverb/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member

Platform
    PC
    A week or two ago I would agree with you, but I'm thinking of the latest beta version 1.0.4.7 when the Ginetta seems to be making a lot of sense to me. I'd be interested to hear your opinions of its current version (unless that's the one you referred to)
    I'm not a Backer so I don't have access to the beta builds. When it hits main stream, I'll check it out but I'm not holding my breath.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    ACC and Automobilista 2 are on sale in the steam store as of this morning. 60% off ACC and as its got a career mode thats gone in, AM2 too

Platform
    PC
    Those are some good bargains there, especially ACC. Money well spent, two quality titles.

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following user likes this Post: Keena

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Ive just got to say John how much I love your picture! Makes me smile every time We have a German Shepherd who's a total softy Off topic I know..