Thread: Penalties questions

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Penalties questions

Sorry if this is a repeat of another post - I tried to look but there are thousands of posts mentioning penalties. Anyway, looks to me track limit penalties police against cutting corners and overtaking outside track limits. When this is off but rest still on penalties apply only to jump starts, pit speeding and crossing pit exit white line. Right?

Question 2: It seems one can cut a corner, drive flat out with "slow down" message and brake hard for next corner at which point the game will often see it as compliance with the warning and penalty threat goes away. Is there a way to edit (shorten) the time given to slow down after cutting a corner?

Thanks and sorry again if I am repeating someone else here.
    i9. 2080ti. 256RAM. Liquid cooled. Thrustmaster T300RS GT + F1 wheel

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by BartZ View Post
    Question 2: It seems one can cut a corner, drive flat out with "slow down" message and brake hard for next corner at which point the game will often see it as compliance with the warning and penalty threat goes away. Is there a way to edit (shorten) the time given to slow down after cutting a corner?
    PC2 went through a few iterations of the penalty system over it's updates. In short, while there are some situations like you described, it was the better middle ground for the system. It was stricter for a while and everyone complained.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by BartZ View Post
    It seems one can cut a corner, drive flat out with "slow down" message and brake hard for next corner at which point the game will often see it as compliance with the warning and penalty threat goes away.
    Yes it happens quite often - for example, if I cut in Radillion just slightly (the game is very sensitive there) my normal braking into Les Combes almost always takes the penalty away (maybe I always brake too much or too hard or too early there). In other cases, you do slow down on purpose but then it takes a very long time for the penalty to go away. The problem is that there is absolutely no info from the game about how much you have to slow down, or for how long. For this reason, most people would ignore the slow-down (except for maybe taking the next corner just a tad slower) and accept the 1 or 2-s penalty. If you don't overdo it to the point of DT, you usually will better off. It's more realistic anyway, in real racing there is no "slow down a bit until we tell you you're good" type of penalty, while time penalties of course exist.
    Frenzy Conducive "Benzine Wagons" Being "Tuned-Up" By Mechanicians

A few simracing videos

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Yeah, it's an absolute mess unfortunately, in some corners you accidentally go slightly off track in the gravel losing time and speed and the warning will not go away until you slow down for multiple seconds, and in other cases you blatantly cut, not even release the throttle at all and the warning just goes away by itself, effectively letting you gain multiple seconds. Unfortunately there's nothing we can do about all this, except for learning to live with it.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    AM2 is getting it right. Right now you get warnings (number of warnings can be set) then a drivethrough. Better than a silly slow down message. And they're working on improving it further. That's the stuff I was hoping to see in PC3.
    i9. 2080ti. 256RAM. Liquid cooled. Thrustmaster T300RS GT + F1 wheel
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem