Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2020 Sim Racing’s Big Boom

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

2020 Sim Racing’s Big Boom

https://medium.com/@simracercoin/202...m-dceafbb3ab40

I'd be interested to see Pete Morrish come on here and justify his opinion that sim racing is too po-faced and too serious and too technical and too elitist, in the face of an explosion in popularity of sim racing this year.
    Last edited by Javaniceday; 12-10-2020 at 03:21.
    The following 8 users likes this Post: apex53, Asturbo, cpcdem, GrimeyDog, John Hargreaves, MDGourley, PostBox981, skoader

Platform
    PC
    Interesting finding.
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900X | Mainboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3200 | GPU: Palit RTX 3090 Gaming Pro | HP Reverb G2 | Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64 | Controls: Fanatec DD1 Wheelbase / Forza Motorsport Wheel / Clubsport Pedals V3 / ClubSport Shifter SQ

In case you´re looking for some clean and relaxed online racing with 1+ hrs of racing time, take a look at this: www.malzbierbude.de

Platform
    PC
    Yeah, very interesting. Specially important about eSports and online that is the future of simracing IMO.
    Now I will no longer feel like a freak of the niche.
    Last edited by Asturbo; 12-10-2020 at 18:39.
    CPU: Intel i9-9900KF | GPU: nVidia RTX2080Ti | RAM: Gskill 2x8GB DDR4 3200 | MB: Asus ROG Strix Z370 | SSD: Samsung EVO 970 500Gb | Monitor: Acer Predator Z35P UW WQHD | Wheel: Fanatec DD1 + Porsche Endurance + Formula 1 V2 | SO: Windows 10 Pro 64bits
    WMD1 & WMD2 Gold Member /// Steam Profile /// Unofficial Issue List /// Button Box Label Template /// DS Flags Calculator /// Open Weather App /// DS Config Samples /// Google Standings /// PCARS4 wish list

Platform
    PC
    Fascinating to put some numbers on the increased interest in the hobby. So when you read down to the end of the article, it advocates an economy based on bartering goods. Sounds about right given that we now communicate through hieroglyphics

Seems 2020 would have been a good year to release a AAA racing simulation
    i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/HP Reverb G2/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following 4 users likes this Post: Asturbo, Cholton82, cpcdem, MDGourley

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    After quite some time, I did much public lobby racing tonight in PCARS2. Man, it's amazing to see how many available servers exist (in Europe's prime time at least), with several people in most of them, absolutely no problem finding plenty good ones to race at, in a game that's already more than 3 years old and supposedly superseded by the next one. There's obviously still so much interest in a sim with that kind of content that PCARS2 has, I can only imagine how well a new real PCARS game would had sold, just by containing some additional content and fixes over PCARS2... (of course, we still had the usual bugs today, with servers becoming unusable after host migration etc, but people did not mind much, just created new ones right away. Apparently people have gotten used to the problems and still make the most of the game - imagine what a success a bugfixed version would had been...)
    The following 7 users likes this Post: apex53, Fiyah, kingsti, MDGourley, PostBox981, Psychotik, skoader

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Asturbo View Post
    Yeah, very interesting. Specially important about eSports and online that is the future of simracing IMO.
    Now I will no longer feel like a freak of the niche.
    That's the thing. We should never have been made to feel like that, especially by the developer of the platform we chose to enjoy our past time. Sim racing is interesting because motor sports are interesting, and it needs no other justification than that.

I cringe whenver I see people say that we're a niche market and we're expendable. There's money to be made, evidence by the increasing numbers of people who make this hobby their own, creating a billion dollar market...

Not that money should be the only consideration.

Platform
    PC
    It's still a niche. Look at fighting game numbers and any iRacing broadcast. Fighting games are considered an eSports niche and sim racing doesn't pull nearly half as much as Street Fighter or Tekken does. Even GT World Tour.

Sorry. Sim racing is still small time. After real racing came back people immediately forgot about it.

And I'd even go as far to say that the big eSports push is actually hurting sim racing as now they care more about a few players than the rest of their audience who play by themselves or do "grassroots" leagues. If you check out rF2, people are angry the game still has so many issues with AI and singleplayer and yet the push for eSports is still there.

And all for what? 3k viewers? When you see other eSports games go into the 10k and even 50k range. Not even including LoL, DOTA, CSGO, Overwatch League, so on and so forth.

It's the same issue with many sports related eSports. People just don't want to watch the video game version when the real thing exists.

Oh. The only reason why the Logitech G Challenge pulled 2k viewers was because it was an autoplay on all pages on challonge.com. It annoyed me when I tried setting up a bracket for friends.

Support your forum leagues instead.
    Last edited by RyokoMaruyama; 12-10-2020 at 22:50.
    trans rights

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by RyokoMaruyama View Post
    It's still a niche. Look at fighting game numbers and any iRacing broadcast. Fighting games are considered an eSports niche and sim racing doesn't pull nearly half as much as Street Fighter or Tekken does. Even GT World Tour.
    Yeah... none of that is the point. People are interested in it, people buy the software, people buy the hardware. May as well compare sim racing to the FIFA World Cup.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaniceday View Post
    Yeah... none of that is the point. People are interested in it, people buy the software, people buy the hardware. May as well compare sim racing to the FIFA World Cup.
    That's not the point. It literally does not get money. eSports investors get little to no return. There are so little people in the ladder. It is all broken up into multiple leagues and such. You want to compare PCARS3 sales to The Holy Bible sales to just be a clever one?

And yet you literally said sim racing esports is growing and Pete Morrish is whatever because a lot of people are watching.

"in the face of an explosion in popularity of sim racing this year."

im out of here
    Last edited by RyokoMaruyama; 12-10-2020 at 23:33.
    trans rights

Platform
    PC
    I don't really understand Ryoko's post above, but on a general level, simracing is like flight simming, in that there are plenty of blokes of a certain age with money to spend, and who are happy to spend it if the quality is there. People will spend $70 on a single plane in DCS World, or $20 on a single airport in XP11, which is a fraction of the work that goes into a track. In some ways GT and Forza have set us back a bit because people expect hundreds of cars in a game, but I'm sure there is a place for fewer cars of higher quality, for example ACC and F1 20XX.
    i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/HP Reverb G2/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following user likes this Post: PostBox981