Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Thoughts on picking up the sim again

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Thoughts on picking up the sim again

Hey all and good to be back. @Konan I hope youre keeping well and good to see you still on watch Well I picked up PC2 again after what feels like about a year away and it feels just as good as I remember! I actually bought Assetto Corsa a few days ago and initially was very impressed but... the ffb is the only thing thats worth it for me. As a single player career guy I was suddenly struck by the appeal of PC2, the detail of car mechanics and the detail you can put into setups. So Yeah, easy to take it for granted and think the grass is greener on the other side. Well all I can say is that I'm enjoying my ginetta junior championship just as much as I always did, more in fact now that I can appreciate what's there.
    FYI if anyone is in a league, group etc and can cater for someone who has an irregular work roster and so might not be able to make every race, please bear me in mind. I race in career in 100/100 so not a slouch and I tend to be quite polite on track I'm on a couple of timetrial boards on page 1 as Sunscreen.. or was at some distant point..
    Last edited by Keena; 20-10-2020 at 17:27.
    The following 6 users likes this Post: Asturbo, cpcdem, Konan, PawelK, Psychotik, r_outsider

Platform
    PC
    I think that having a year or two to reflect on it, and the absence of anything anywhere near as good in that time, has made a lot of people reassess PC2. It really is an incredible achievement, flawed perhaps, but the breadth, scope and ambition behind it make it stand out as a classic in my opinion.
    i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/Oculus CV1/HP Reverb/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following 7 users likes this Post: chastewand, Cote Dazur, cpcdem, DaWorstPlaya, Keena, r_outsider, SlowBloke

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Definitely John, and well put. Ive just been scrutinising my telemetry (pcarsprofiler) in my little ginetta junior at a soggy silverstone for 20 minutes- theres just no way I could get that level of immersion with other titles- I know because Ive tried. As you say, an incredible achievement that I still believe isnt equalled, and certainly not bettered by anything out there thats in my budget range, immersive capability, playability and so on.
    The following user likes this Post: John Hargreaves

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Hey all and good to be back. @Konan I hope youre keeping well and good to see you still on watch
    Hey mate, good to see you are back.
    I am always watching
    AN OUTLAW MIGHT GIVE IN TO DESTINY BUT HIS LEGEND LIVES ON FOR ETERNITY!

DIY rig walk-through :

http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...nd-walkthrough
    The following user likes this Post: Keena

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Damn I'd forgotten how much fun that Renault Clio is. Wonderful sense of grip really brought home with Jacks superb ffb files.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: cpcdem, John Hargreaves, Olijke Poffer

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Im also rediscovering PC2 after being distracted by iRacing, ACC & AMS2 for a year or so.

Some cars are still horrific and some tracks - but others are pure gems.... Clio Cup, FXX K, LMPs and a fair few more... ability to closely mirror race series with custom grid tool... Le Mans classic is simply brilliant, still class leading VR implementation and although ACC definitely has the crown for visuals PC2 is not that far behind.

I agree PC2 will be considered a classic soon enough.

I would so love for SMS to revisit PC2 direction but understand arcade is the direction they wanted to go. Still I have PC2 to remind me just what they are capable of
    6700K / 2080TI / 16GB DDR4 / SSD x 2 / M2 x 1 / Dell U3415W / Simlab GT1 Evo / Oculus Rift S / Valve Index / Fanatec DD1 / ClubSport V3 Pedals / SQ v1.5 Shifter
    The following 5 users likes this Post: chastewand, cpcdem, DaWorstPlaya, John Hargreaves, Keena

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBloke View Post
    Im also rediscovering PC2 after being distracted by iRacing, ACC & AMS2 for a year or so.

Some cars are still horrific and some tracks - but others are pure gems.... Clio Cup, FXX K, LMPs and a fair few more... ability to closely mirror race series with custom grid tool... Le Mans classic is simply brilliant, still class leading VR implementation and although ACC definitely has the crown for visuals PC2 is not that far behind.

I agree PC2 will be considered a classic soon enough.

I would so love for SMS to revisit PC2 direction but understand arcade is the direction they wanted to go. Still I have PC2 to remind me just what they are capable of
    I was thinking of getting ACC for the single player career. Not yet made up my mind but until I do, as you say the Clio Cup etc is a nice way to remind ourselves of what yet may come to be. I cant imagine the depth of talent in the SMS team will be allowed to be lost in the morass of sales driven arcade nonsense . By the way, is the single player career any good in ACC in terms of immersion etc? I guess to a certain extent its what you make of it. I try to fill in the blanks in PC2 career by really trying to pay attention to the names in the series, where they are in the championship etc. Not always finishing first is a necessary adjustment in immersion too I reckon. Its nice sometimes to battle for a 6th place finish and feel that was just as much an achievement as winning. The clio cup is great for that and I'll be experimenting with custom grid tool to try and enhance it further.
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBloke View Post
    I wouldn't call PC3 "arcade". It takes a lot more skill than playing Mario Kart to achieve the goals in PC3. This is part of the problem with PC3 is that it "appears" to be "arcade", but does require the skills learned in traditional sim racing. PC3 is jot not solely focused on "class racing".
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Keena, Konan

Platform
    PC
    I don’t think I leave Pcars as long as my current system is up and running. I like Pcars to mucha to put it on the shelve.
    Steam: Bull Shark CPU: Intel i7 8700k 6 cores @ 4.9 Ghz | RAM: 16GB G-Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 @ 3000 Mhz | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Ti 11 GB Mobo: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming | SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | OS: Win 10 x64 | Screen:Triple IIyama PROLITE XUB2792QSU-B1 7680x1440 | Controller:Fanatec CSW v2.5, ClubSport Shifter SQ V 1.5, CSL Elite pedals & loadcell brake| Misc: Oculus Rift , Simlab GT1 EVO Rig , Wife for serving Coffee and Beer.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    I wouldn't call PC3 "arcade". It takes a lot more skill than playing Mario Kart to achieve the goals in PC3. This is part of the problem with PC3 is that it "appears" to be "arcade", but does require the skills learned in traditional sim racing. PC3 is jot not solely focused on "class racing".
    I think thats a good point and it highlights how poorly I conveyed my own thought process. As a purely personal view I quite like the thought and focus of class racing, the notion of being a professional racing driver in a single player career mode where you need to perform in order to gain a better seat and so on. I totally get the direction that they decided to go with PC3, its just not really the world in which I want to fulfil my frustrated dreams of being a thoroughly competent, fast, Schumacher-esque racing driver. That search for precision and speed in circuit racing in a kind of story environment is what I recall of the glory days of racing- Senna/Prost, Schumacher/Alonso and so on. I think thats why Im drawn to any title that offers a reasonable chance of that kind of suspension of reality when I pop that vr headset on. Sitting in the garage thinking deeply about a race setup that maybe isnt the fastest, strategy, where I need to finish for maximising championship impact, how to put one over on the guy whose my biggest threat- all the nuts and bolts of class racing- thats what I think PC2 came really close to achieving, and for me what PC3 will handsomely fail to deliver. If I want hot rodding, I can just pop down to the local trading estate on a friday night Its a world away from the sensations of an old school historical motor-racing circuit. Im not saying one is better than the other, just trying to explain why Im sad they chose the route they did. Just spend a happy afternoon watching the BTCC coverage in the UK and it ticks so many boxes with so many different support races- Ginetta Juniors etc etc. So many different interest elements and dramas unfolding with real high pressure stuff going on in some cases. Great stuff!

https://youtu.be/wdsL9HdEbv8
    Last edited by Keena; 26-10-2020 at 18:42.