Thread: Pit stop frustrations - help needed

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Pit stop frustrations - help needed

So I am just playing a solo career, Formula A at Red Bull Ring, but that shouldn't matter.

The forecast is light clouds and at about lap 12 it becomes a hurricane. But my frustration came from elsewhere.

I have a pit stop strategy saved for swapping to wets, when I came in the first time it was not default but I selected it with the ICM menu. The crew put slicks on and I lost about 10 spaces on the out lap and quit.

After relaxing a bit I went in again but this time I set the "wet" pit strategy as default and again came in (this time on lap 11 because i knew the drizzle wasn't going away) and the flipping crew put slicks on again!

I went back to the track thinking I'd come in again next lap but he said the pits were full and I'd have to go around again. Wasn't interested in 1/4 throttle on ice so I quit again and came here looking for help.

Edit to add...when I reach the pit I see the crew has a set of wets sitting there, they reach their guns towards the hubs, then they stand back and it is over.

What am I doing wrong?
    Last edited by Edbert; 04-12-2020 at 00:05.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Most probably you are doing nothing wrong, it's one of the notorious bugs of the game, that in some cases it does not respect what your settings are for a pitstop and does something completely different. Having said that, are you sure you have explicitly set your tire options to wets in the strategy, instead of leaving it to "recommended"?

As for the pits full thing, this usually isn't a bug, it's just that the "other" car of your team is currently in the pits. But I think it happens only if you have not set pitstops to manual, if you have it to manual then you should be able to go to the pits and wait for the other car to leave first. But you must be careful not to be very close to it while waiting, because then it never leaves the pits...

Platform
    PS4
    Don't ever use "default". It's too unreliable to let the pit crew make decisions. Also they can't read your mind, and only take action according to some preset basic conditions.

Make a new strategy, with your choice of tyres/pressures/repairs.
    Also, above the compounds there's a menu "change tyres".
    Set that from "recommended" to "change all".
    In the icm select your preferred strategy before you enter the pits.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    That was it!

On the Fuel and Tires Setup tab I had selected match all compounds and set the "New" on all four corners to "Wet".

What I hadn't done is change the first option called "Change Tires" from "recommended" to "All".
    The following 2 users likes this Post: hkraft300, John Hargreaves

Platform
    PC
    There's been a lot of bleating on this year about everyone missing pitstops but if we are brutally honest, there were times when pitstops didn't always work that well in PC2. I never fully got the hang of it myself and had plenty of races like OP describes.
    i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/HP Reverb G2/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hargreaves View Post
    There's been a lot of bleating on this year about everyone missing pitstops but if we are brutally honest, there were times when pitstops didn't always work that well in PC2. I never fully got the hang of it myself and had plenty of races like OP describes.
    Yeah, me too, and in the league I am currently racing at, we do not use pitstops because they are unstable and cause a lot of trouble too often. But we are doing qualifying in a realistic way, start from the pits, do a warm up lap and then 2-3 flying laps follow. We need to find our spot in the train of cars, things like that, as in real life. You can't do anything like that if the game does not have pits at all...
    The following user likes this Post: John Hargreaves

Platform
    PS4
    With custom strategies, pitstops have never failed me.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10
    The following user likes this Post: John Hargreaves

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by hkraft300 View Post
    With custom strategies, pitstops have never failed me.
    I have set up about a dozen basic ones....
    wets fuel no dmg
    softs no fuel aero dmg only
    hards full fuel all dmg

etc.

The thing that was throwing me off is that selecting to change tires doesn't take effect unless you hit the other option asking about changing tires. Seems the second setting would alter or override the fist, but all figured out thanks to the helpful folks here!
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300