Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 LastLast

Thread: Let's design the ultimate racing simulation game

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Grand Prix Legends made today
    ASUS Z170-P, Core I7-6700K, Coolermaster Hyper 212 EVO Universal CPU Cooler, Gigabyte GF GTX970 OC 4GB GDDR5,
    Crucial 16GB (2x8) 2133MHz DDR4, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" SATA3 SSD, Western Digital Black 1 TB, ASUS DVD Burner, ASUS 27" Monitor, Fractal Design Define R5 Mid-Tower Case Black, Thermaltake ToughPower Gold 750 Watt Power Supply, Win 10 64Bit
    The following 2 users likes this Post: John Hargreaves, roddypoddy

Platform
    PC
    GT Legends made today.
    i5 2500k @ 4.5 GHz | Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 | MSI GTX970 TF V OC 4GB | 8 gig ram | Win7 Home 64bit | BenQ 27" 1080p | T500RS wheel & pedals | DIY 'H' & sequential shifters via Bodnar BU0836 | Symprojects DLC-247 controlled gauges | Buttonbox via Bodnar BU0836X

“Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.” - Aldous Huxley
    The following 2 users likes this Post: MaximusN, roddypoddy

Platform
    PC
    What was that other one done not long after GPL, was it Spirit of Speed? With the old 1930s race cars. I seem to remember it was a bit rubbish, but the idea was great. There has never been a mainstream race game with lots of content from that 1930-1960 period, and whenever you do see stuff like that it just comes out as overly slidey and a slower than modern cars with none of the thrills and visceral racing feel that old videos depict. I think PC2 came very close with the Indy roadster and the DBR-300 and the old Ferrari, they were a lot of fun.
    AMS2 is doing an amazing job of bringing historic tracks to life, giving them all the trackside detail and production values of the modern ones. I think I saw a clip of an AC mod depicting those old cars, but it looked a bit home made. We need the pros to do it properly.
    i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/HP Reverb G2/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following 3 users likes this Post: morpwr, PostBox981, roddypoddy

Platform
    PC
    Thats a point that I like about AMS2: many tracks come with several layouts of different eras.
    CPU: AMD Ryzen 3900X | Mainboard: MSI MPG X570 Gaming Plus | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3200 | GPU: Palit RTX 3090 Gaming Pro | HP Reverb G2 | Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64 | Controls: Fanatec DD1 Wheelbase / Forza Motorsport Wheel / Clubsport Pedals V3 / ClubSport Shifter SQ

In case you´re looking for some clean and relaxed online racing with 1+ hrs of racing time, take a look at this: www.malzbierbude.de
    The following 3 users likes this Post: John Hargreaves, machmin333, morpwr

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    It would be a nice feature if in the the summary screen after the race we could see set of statistics. Not really usefull but interesting, like in Battlefield 1 where after a match you could see who had most headshots, who healed most points, who took most flags etc. Together with values of those stats naturally. That set of stats could be changing to present only most interesting ones rather than fixed list. Lets say 5 top stats on the most of the screen and with smaller leters how player did compared to them. The most important part of thisnwould be to keep people interested rather than overwhelmed with stats. And to be precise, it should only measure one last race that just finished, not entire career.

Example stats that could be included:
    1) most overtakings
    2) top speed
    3) fastest laptime
    4) fastest section 1/2/3
    5) most clean overtakings
    6) most hits into other players (this could be called Noob award)
    7) longest draft
    8) longest total drafting time
    9) highest engine/oil/brake/tire temperature
    10) longest drift
    11) smoothest ride (opposite of longest drift, or how smoothly someone was turning braking and accelerating rather than 0/1 approach)
    12) most corners mastered
    13) most cut corners (Noob award 2)
    14) most times hit the barriers (Noob award 3)
    15) most gear changes
    16) most times brake used
    17) perfect launch at start
    18) lowest laptimes delta
    19) highest downforce generated
    20) highest G force on acceleration/braking/turning (excluding crashes)
    21) highest cost to fix the car after the race (Noob award 4) - if car damage and pay for fix would be implemented
    22) set of stats about pit stops (hate them so no more details from my side here but might be interesting for others)
    23) longest jump
    24) highest jump
    25) longest time on two wheels
    26) total horse power reduction time because of driving assists
    27) total time one of the assists (name) assisting player
    28) longest time using rear view
    29) most smoke generated from tires
    30) lowest delta between players on finish line (only for cases where it was under 0,1 sec or even less)
    31) longest time with penalty slowdown (Noob award 5)
    32) highest angle recovery from drift
    33) highest speed while drifting/sliding
    34) longest time not moving at all (Noob award 6) - excluding cases of players who did not even start
    35) most double overtakings (you know the ones where you are at least one lap ahead of the player you are overtaking) - for endurance races

Noob awards should be in red and should make people ashamed of them and encourage them to not be included in those awards ever again. As a result online races would improve.

And the most interesting stats would be those that are rare or very high, for example algorithm of picking interesting findings should look at:
    - how many players achieved it
    - how much higher from second player first result was
    - how much higher from average of the group it was
    - how rare it is globally (for example if someone would master all corners on full Azure Coast track, it would definitely deserve to be presented)

And as many screens after the race are very annoying, this set of stats could be presented together with the podium screen as I doubt you would resign from it.
    Last edited by Zinnsash; 14-01-2021 at 09:06.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: John Hargreaves, machmin333

Platform
    PC
    Interesting ideas - might be a bit too many for my taste, but I like the idea of a more comprehensive race summary available at the end. Even just highlighting fastest lap would do me, but I can see how all those stats could be recorded by the game and maybe form the basis of an XP system. I guess that's probably the sort of thing PC3 is doing, but it seems a bit of a secret lottery as to why you are getting points in PC3.

In our game, I could see gameplay possibilities in showing exactly what you got your points for, so the total shoots up for clean overtakes, then knocks a few off for cutting corners etc. Like the opposite of ACC when I get safety points deducted when the AI blindly rams into me. GT Sport has a clean race bonus, but again it can be a bit unfair when you lose it through no fault of your own. You'd think that this could be another use for AI in the game, judging situations and awarding/deducting points for behaviour on track. Like a more sophisticated version of the race director. Could be a nightmare to program, but seeing as Mr Burns at EA is writing a blank cheque and we are out to beat Forza and GT at their own game, let's make it happen.
    i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/HP Reverb G2/Logitech G29+G25 shifter/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    One thing I would love is access to highly detailed, saveable telemetry for every session that you want the data from.. with the ability to export that data to a seperate two-way app for analysis and set up tweaks that can be sent back to the game via UDP.
    Last edited by Sum Dixon-Ear; 14-01-2021 at 14:04.
    Savoury69 - Fanatec CSLE-PS4/ClubSport F1 2018 LE Rim + Podium APM/ClubSport V3 Pedals + Brake Performance Kit - Saor Alba
    The following user likes this Post: John Hargreaves

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hargreaves View Post
    Interesting ideas - might be a bit too many for my taste
    Those were just examples of things to monitor but I never ment to display all of them all the time. Pick only 5 the most suprising ones. Lets say that all players had top speed between 240-260 km/h, than it is not something interesting to show, but if all had top speed between 240-260 but one player had 320 km/h than it is something interesting to know and it would be suprising for most to know, would add +10 to respect to that player and would make me wonder how the hell did he do that!? And then I would go change my setup and do some tests to improve which would be simply something more pulling me into the game = fun.

For the programming it could be hard but on the other hand I am pretty sure game already knows most of those things. Lets say point 29) smoke from tires - as smoke is only a visual thing, game must know when to generate it based on some algorythm saying NOW, and the same trigger would be used to start the counter of this measure. Or 32) drift angle recovery - again as there is always countersteer control enabled or even just such assist is implemented in the game even if set to off, game knows exactly when to help player and what angle should be used to countersteer - just displaying that info is the answer. And based on the last example, if average angle for the race group would be 10° and top score is 15°, it is not interesting but if that top player reached 40° than it would be suprising and possibly interesting to see.

What is more I can easily inagine mini games, where not only winning is important but alsp achieving high results in one of the measures and host could pick which ones. It could be refreshing and completly different experience if players were competing to get some extra goals like most clean overtakings and draft time. This would completly change atttidute from serious racing towards more light fun and things you wouldn't ever do with your real car.

@Sum Dixon-Ear
    agree that telemetry is a must and in PC4 promises must be kept (telemetry was promised for PC3 on PS4...)
    The following user likes this Post: John Hargreaves

Online Marketing Director Nathan Bell's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hargreaves View Post
    Ok, so it might or might not happen, but what if Mr Burns, CEO of EA says, "Right Smithers, we want to beat GT and Forza and have the ultimate racing game in our portfolio. Go away and make it so."
    So EA have written a blank cheque and told us to go look at all the other games out there, and we are invited to submit our favourite details, large or small, into the design document.
    Best driving physics is taken for granted, and we've already all got the things PC1-3 does well, so I'll get it started:

Weather from Microsoft Flight sim
    Deformable barriers, realistic physics for cones and tyres (where it suits the track) from Wreckfest
    Livery editor from Gran Turismo so you can make accurate replicas and share them
    Busy pit lane and garage from F1 20XX
    Detailed interactive cockpits as good as DCS World
    Sounds better than ACC

Feel free to submit your favourite features from any game you choose. Please don't fill the thread with 'Meh I don't care about that' comments, go away and make your own 'Meh I don't care about that' thread
    Interesting.
    Online Marketing Director
    Slightly Mad Studios

Follow me on Twitter for updates on current and new projects: NathanBell_SMS
    The following 9 users likes this Post: GTsimms, John Hargreaves, Konan, morpwr, roddypoddy, Sum Dixon-Ear, Tank621, Titzon Toast, trylls

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Cars that deteriorate with age and use, maintenance and repairs needed to keep them in tip top racing condition.

Engine and component swaps from cars made from the same manufacturer.
    Education is important but racing is importanter.

Jockeys I3ollix
    CSL Elite, Clubsport V3i Pedals
    Too much sim for Bagpuss.