Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black Screen

Rookie
    Platform
    PC

Black Screen

Whenever I go into a race, after 15-20 minutes, I get a black screen but I can still hear the audio.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by stephenuk View Post
    Whenever I go into a race, after 15-20 minutes, I get a black screen but I can still hear the audio.
    Hi, I used to get the black screen the same with an unhandled exception error... randomly during races etc... it would be useful to know your PC specs (put them in your signature).. if they are similar to mine I will explain how I fixed it, but if not then I probably cant help you. (it's a lot of typing if it's not relevant)
    i7 5960X @ 4500Mhz water cooled | 32GB DDR4 @ 2666Mhz | Asus X99 Sabertooth | MSI GTX 1080 FE @ 2062Mhz/11,200Mhz water cooled | Samsung UE65JU7500 65" @ 4K | Oculus Rift CV1 | Win 10 Pro x64 on Samsung 951 M.2 PCIe 3.0 @ x4 | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 5.1 | Onboard Realtek (for SimVibe) | SteelSeried Siberia 800 Wireless Headset | SuperFlower Leadex Platinum 850 | Next Level GTultimate v2 Racing Cockpit | Next Level Motion v3 | Fanatec CSW v2 base | BMW M3 GT2 rim | Porsche 918 RSR rim | Formula Carbon rim | 27cm Round Rim c/w Universal Hub | ClubSport Pedals v3 + dampers + performance kit | CSS SQ v1.5 shifter | ClubSport Handbrake | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | SimVibe | SLI-Emu/SLIMax Manager

CSWv2 261/204 Settings: SEn:AUt | FF:65| Sho:100 | AbS:OFF | Lin:OFF | dEA:OFF | drI:003 | For:100 | SPr:OFF | dPr:OFF

[Project Immersion Website] | [FOV Calculator] | [YouTube] | [Facebook]

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Hi,
    Steam Edition

Have exactly the same problem,i tried to Ctrl,Alt,Delete to desk top and see the icon in the tray,click on it to hear just the music,ive even changed the privileges in the icons
    have done integ check and it come back as ok,
    any help..................
    Windows 7 (64) i5-2500 @3.30GHz, Nvidia GTX970, 16GB Corsair 2133mhz Vengence, 500GB (MX100) SSD Crucail HD

Project Cars steam edition run with full permission

Logitech G27 wheel

PC/Drivers/experience are all up to date

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by smokin_thumz View Post
    Hi,
    Steam Edition

Have exactly the same problem,i tried to Ctrl,Alt,Delete to desk top and see the icon in the tray,click on it to hear just the music,ive even changed the privileges in the icons
    have done integ check and it come back as ok,
    any help..................
    I had the same with a GTX 980 and also the GTX Titan. It seems the issue occurs when the card switches from boost down to full speed as it's not in full use sometimes. Setting 'prefer maximum performance' in the NVidia control panel provided no fix as it doesn't keep the cards speed constant, it still flips between full clock and boost speed occasionally. The drivers don't seem to handle it well or hide this transition from the game's graphics engine and the screen goes black at that point.

I had issues with Elite Dangerous for exactly the same reasons with the GTX 980.

Here's how I fixed it for ED and now pCARS:

1. Download the latest version of EVGA Precision X and install it.
    2. Start up EVGA Precision X ... No need to overclock or alter any values!
    3. Enable KBOOST (top right of the GUI)<- this feature forces the card/driver to full boost speed constantly... which is what you want during gameplay to get round this issue.
    4. Minimise EVGA Precision X (or close it... once KBOOST is enabled it will stay that way until you disable it)
    5. Once you are done with racing, you can fire up EVGA Precision X and disable KBOOST if you like.... but it will stay enabled if you don't... even across reboots.

Let me know if this fixes the Black Screen/Unhandled Exception for anybody else?
    i7 5960X @ 4500Mhz water cooled | 32GB DDR4 @ 2666Mhz | Asus X99 Sabertooth | MSI GTX 1080 FE @ 2062Mhz/11,200Mhz water cooled | Samsung UE65JU7500 65" @ 4K | Oculus Rift CV1 | Win 10 Pro x64 on Samsung 951 M.2 PCIe 3.0 @ x4 | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium 5.1 | Onboard Realtek (for SimVibe) | SteelSeried Siberia 800 Wireless Headset | SuperFlower Leadex Platinum 850 | Next Level GTultimate v2 Racing Cockpit | Next Level Motion v3 | Fanatec CSW v2 base | BMW M3 GT2 rim | Porsche 918 RSR rim | Formula Carbon rim | 27cm Round Rim c/w Universal Hub | ClubSport Pedals v3 + dampers + performance kit | CSS SQ v1.5 shifter | ClubSport Handbrake | Buttkicker Gamer 2 | SimVibe | SLI-Emu/SLIMax Manager

CSWv2 261/204 Settings: SEn:AUt | FF:65| Sho:100 | AbS:OFF | Lin:OFF | dEA:OFF | drI:003 | For:100 | SPr:OFF | dPr:OFF

The following 3 users likes this Post: Adrien Lopes, GT500, storm

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    @mrPix,
    not a complete fix but ive changed mine to windowed mode( not ideal i know) or as the games loads then goes to taskbar quickly click on it again__both not ideal
    Windows 7 (64) i5-2500 @3.30GHz, Nvidia GTX970, 16GB Corsair 2133mhz Vengence, 500GB (MX100) SSD Crucail HD

Project Cars steam edition run with full permission

Logitech G27 wheel

PC/Drivers/experience are all up to date

Quote Originally Posted by MrPix View Post
    I had the same with a GTX 980 and also the GTX Titan. It seems the issue occurs when the card switches from boost down to full speed as it's not in full use sometimes. Setting 'prefer maximum performance' in the NVidia control panel provided no fix as it doesn't keep the cards speed constant, it still flips between full clock and boost speed occasionally. The drivers don't seem to handle it well or hide this transition from the game's graphics engine and the screen goes black at that point.

I had issues with Elite Dangerous for exactly the same reasons with the GTX 980.

3. Enable KBOOST (top right of the GUI)<- this feature forces the card/driver to full boost speed constantly... which is what you want during gameplay to get round this issue.
    4. Minimise EVGA Precision X (or close it... once KBOOST is enabled it will stay that way until you disable it)
    5. Once you are done with racing, you can fire up EVGA Precision X and disable KBOOST if you like.... but it will stay enabled if you don't... even across reboots.

Let me know if this fixes the Black Screen/Unhandled Exception for anybody else?
    Great insight thanks. I will consider this option when I resume playing tomorrow.
    MSI Z97 Mpower/i7 4790k/16Gb G.Skill 2400/Vertex 460 SSD/Zotac 980 Amp!/Thrustmaster T500 RS/Acer 4K2K
    3840x2160@60fps Ultra No AA No Bloom High Reflections High Shadows

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by MrPix View Post

Isn't it dangerous to use K-BOOST? What are the temperature differences? This sounds like you force your card to run all the time at it's max capabilities.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Pr3t3nd3r View Post
    Isn't it dangerous to use K-BOOST? What are the temperature differences? This sounds like you force your card to run all the time at it's max capabilities.
    No, it's not a hack, it's a feature that EVGA themselves have written to lock the GPU speed and voltage to it's Boost speed/voltage. I have water-cooling so the card is about 36C under full load. I turn KBOOST on before I play games and off afterwards (if I remember to). It can't be dangerous else it would not be there and if you have proper cooling in the case even better... Most modern Nvidia cards have a thermal limit ... keep it below that and you'll be fine. It most certainly will not affect your warranty, how could it?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    nvidia drivers must be updated

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by optik View Post
    nvidia drivers must be updated
    to? This issue occurs with the latest drivers (350.12) what version have you updated to to stop this Black screen issue?