Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mid/High End nVidia Card Performance ISSUE

Platform
    PC

Mid/High End nVidia Card Performance ISSUE

So first off let me start by posting my computer specs....

Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor (4x 4.0GHz/8MB L3 Cache) - Intel® Core™ i7-4790K
    ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer - 2x PCIe x16, 4x USB 3.0, 3x USB 2.0
    16 GB [4 GB x4] DDR3-1866 Memory Module - ADATA XPG V2
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 - 2GB - MSI Twin Frozr Gaming OC - Single Card
    750 Watt - Corsair CX750M - 80 PLUS Bronze, Full Modular
    AVC Liquid CPU Cooling System [SOCKET-1150] - Asetek 510LC (Standard 120mm Fan)
    Hard Drive 128 GB ADATA SP900 SSD -- Read: 550MB/s ; Write: 520MB/s - Single Drive
    Hard Drive 1 TB HARD DRIVE -- 32M Cache, 7200 RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

-----------------
    Okay so now that's out of the way, here's what I'm facing.
    On some tracks I get my 60 v-sync FPS cap and it never dips below 50-55, usually stays capped out at 60 all the time. On other tracks how ever, I get anywhere from 20-40 FPS and this is with Clear Sunny weather. A track for example that I have issue with is Sapito(??) Japan. I just did a race before hand on Road America where I get a solid 60 FPS to 55. So track switches to Sapito and boom right as practice starts and I went ALL the way around the track, I get a constant 20-40. It's playable when it hits in the 40's but I shouldn't have to settle for such low standards when I'm able to play the game at 60 frames on other tracks.
    Mid Post Edit: Another track is Azure Circuit 20-40 FPS as well.

The graphic settings are as follows (I tested the links, they show up and are viewable, if they don't, tell me, and I'll post to imgur instead.)

http://images.akamai.steamuserconten...C6B612E3833A4/
    http://images.akamai.steamuserconten...2AA506E5049A6/
    http://images.akamai.steamuserconten...52EC930386F19/

---------
    So my theory is there's to much background scenery and its loading those textures in the back, the normal foreground track textures, and car textures. This was all done in a online game with friends and AI. We also tested the track without AI and it still has FPS issues. So this track must have performance issues and needs a different Visual(Graphic Option setup) or its badly optimized.

If I experience any other tracks I'll post them here, but for the time being I can't recall the names of other tracks that get low FPS.

--------
    Tracks
    --------
    1. Sapito GP Japan
    2. Azure Circuit

P.S. I built my PC to do a single PC streaming setup(wasn't streaming during any of my play sessions yet, just pure gameplay, no background programs to capture my game screen to "record") so I bought the best Intel processor I could get, and I bought the highest card I was able to with the money leftover after buying the MBO and RAM. And I know I don't have a crap system if more than half the tracks have decent frames and keep me capped at 60 with v-sync while others give frame drop.

P.S.S. I can't turn off v-sync or I'll get screen tearing when FPS goes over 60. And the FPS has gone over 60 when I turn v-sync off for some tracks.

Thank you for any help that will come out of this thread ahead of time, maybe others that have similar build or same GFX might have same issue and will get help out of this.
    Last edited by Killa162; 12-05-2015 at 09:21.

Platform
    PC
    Are your GPU drivers up-to-date and are you running any overclocks?

Have you tried to use the nVidia Inspector to control vsync?
    CPU: Intel i5-4690 @ 3.5GHz | GPU: Nvidia Gigabyte GTX 970 G1, 4GB | MoBo: Gigabyte G1 Sniper H6 | RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 | PSU: Corsair CS750M | HDD: Plextor 256GB SSD & WD 4TB HDD | OS: Win 7 Professional, 64-bit | Display: LG 42" TV | Audio: Logitech Z906 | Control: Xbox 360 controller

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by thisisbleep View Post
    Are your GPU drivers up-to-date and are you running any overclocks?

Have you tried to use the nVidia Inspector to control vsync?
    Driver: 350.12
    OC: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 - 2GB - MSI Twin Frozr Gaming OC - Single Card
    The OC comes stock and not exactly a computer hardware wizard, I bought this pre-built. Plus I'd rather look into other fixes first before ruling its the stock OC on the card on how it came. Since I'd rather leave it how it is since I have no other issues with the card on other games, so no point in changing it.

And no idea what the nVidia Inspector is. Never even heard of that in my entire life.
    Last edited by Killa162; 12-05-2015 at 09:47.

Kart Driver
    When testing CARS on a i7 rig with a GTX770 it ran pretty well... what I was using (that I can remember)
    - Max all out, turn Grass OFF, set Environment Map to LOW, set Anisitropic to desired, disable all other AA filters
    - Reset Nvidia Control panel Manage 3D Settings to DEFAULT, set Power Management to PERFORMANCE, GPU Acceleration to SINGLE DISPLAY
    - After setting everything in Nvidia Control Panel to USE 3D APPLICATION SETTINGS - try forcing AA filters using the Override or Enhanced options
    - When testing try using the lower (MSAA, HIGH, DSX2) settings in game as well...

Hopefully that helps... I was able to get a lot out of that build but 1920x1080res can be demanding... talking about around half the fps over 720p! You could gain fps by using the following startup param
    -skipcrowds
    Otherwise it appears GRASS and ENVIRONMENT MAP are the bigger impact performance wise... disabling/lowering those won't take away the eye-candy.

Worst case - GPUs are cheap... GTX960 benchmarks with a 770 for 200 bucks... a 970 would be a good upgrade.
    - If you look around you will find high-end last-gen GPUs for a few hundred bucks... I bought 2 GTX690 cards (quad SLI build) for under 700 the other month.
    That was Nvidia's $1000usd GPU the other year which benchmarks with the GTX980. Due to SLI support I'm running a GTX970 now.
    Last edited by JSNFARRELL; 12-05-2015 at 10:09.
    The following user likes this Post: Mark Bevan

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by JSNFARRELL View Post
    When testing CARS on a i7 rig with a GTX770 it ran pretty well... what I was using (that I can remember)
    - Max all out, turn Grass OFF, set Environment Map to LOW, set Anisitropic to desired, disable all other AA filters
    - Reset Nvidia Control panel Manage 3D Settings to DEFAULT, set Power Management to PERFORMANCE, GPU Acceleration to SINGLE DISPLAY
    - After setting everything in Nvidia Control Panel to USE 3D APPLICATION SETTINGS - try forcing AA filters using the Override or Enhanced options
    - When testing try using the lower (MSAA, HIGH, DSX2) settings in game as well...

Hopefully that helps... I was able to get a lot out of that build but 1920x1080res can be demanding... talking about around half the fps over 720p! You could gain fps by using the following startup param
    -skipcrowds
    Otherwise it appears GRASS and ENVIRONMENT MAP are the bigger impact performance wise... disabling/lowering those won't take away the eye-candy.

Worst case - GPUs are cheap... GTX960 benchmarks with a 770 for 200 bucks... a 970 would be a good upgrade.
    - If you look around you will find high-end last-gen GPUs for a few hundred bucks... I bought 2 GTX690 cards (quad SLI build) for under 700 the other month.
    That was Nvidia's $1000usd GPU the other year which benchmarks with the GTX980. Due to SLI support I'm running a GTX970 now.
    Not everyone can just pull money out of their asses whenever they please to update their build, everyone doesn't have free money laying around all the time, I'm 23 and keep going on/off with jobs, possibily going into school. I'm lucky I was able to build the system I had, it's barely a year old yet.

Plus I did the nVidia settings on the control panel, and lowered/fixed the settings how you said you had them and I got a very slight improve, or almost to no improvement, I might have gotten 5 more FPS at most. After the race is going for 2 laps on Sakkito, the FPS climbs to 50-60 but isn't capped at 60 like other tracks. But this is only once I'm in the race for a few laps, it's almost like it's warming up to the track as playtime progresses. Also there was ZERO change on Azure Circuit, I even turned the car graphics down to medium, and even tried low(on both tracks) with no improve as I stated a few sentences ago. For shits and gigs I wanted to see how much Rain would affect FPS, on Azure Circuit it got worse, it went down too 15-35, and on Sakkito it went down to 30-50 depending on what part of the track I was on, but once it was the 3rd lap, no matter where I was on the track my FPS was at 40-60 but mainly in the 50's. Idk why over time on a track the FPS would get better, and other tracks it's just constantly bad.
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor 4.0GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - 8GB DDR5 - EVGA SuperClocked | MoBo: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer | RAM: ADATA XPG V2 16 GB DDR3-1866 | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Drives: 128 GB ADATA SP900 SSD & 1 TB HDD | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit | Display: LG 27" LED Monitor | Audio: HyperX Cloud I Headset | Control: Xbox 360 controller

Kart Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Killa162 View Post
    Not everyone can just pull money out of their asses whenever they please to update their build, everyone doesn't have free money laying around all the time, I'm 23 and keep going on/off with jobs, possibily going into school. I'm lucky I was able to build the system I had, it's barely a year old yet.

Plus I did the nVidia settings on the control panel, and lowered/fixed the settings how you said you had them and I got a very slight improve, or almost to no improvement, I might have gotten 5 more FPS at most. After the race is going for 2 laps on Sakkito, the FPS climbs to 50-60 but isn't capped at 60 like other tracks. But this is only once I'm in the race for a few laps, it's almost like it's warming up to the track as playtime progresses. Also there was ZERO change on Azure Circuit, I even turned the car graphics down to medium, and even tried low(on both tracks) with no improve as I stated a few sentences ago. For shits and gigs I wanted to see how much Rain would affect FPS, on Azure Circuit it got worse, it went down too 15-35, and on Sakkito it went down to 30-50 depending on what part of the track I was on, but once it was the 3rd lap, no matter where I was on the track my FPS was at 40-60 but mainly in the 50's. Idk why over time on a track the FPS would get better, and other tracks it's just constantly bad.
    Was worth a shot... that GPU is a pushing the limits for such games at 1080p (60fps) so higher settings wont really help achieve that.
    If anything it appears you expect 60fps in 1080p but even people with higher end builds are breaking 60fps steady... some get more if they kill the settings some or have higher performance hardware.
    I no longer have a GTX770 around (gave it to a friend) or else I would be able to help more.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by JSNFARRELL View Post
    Was worth a shot... that GPU is a pushing the limits for such games at 1080p (60fps) so higher settings wont really help achieve that.
    If anything it appears you expect 60fps in 1080p but even people with higher end builds are breaking 60fps steady... some get more if they kill the settings some or have higher performance hardware.
    I no longer have a GTX770 around (gave it to a friend) or else I would be able to help more.
    So what would be the next best reso to switch to so it's not blurry or offset on a 1080p monitor? If you know what I mean.
    CPU: Intel® Core™ i7-4790K Processor 4.0GHz | GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 - 8GB DDR5 - EVGA SuperClocked | MoBo: ASRock Fatal1ty Z97 Killer | RAM: ADATA XPG V2 16 GB DDR3-1866 | PSU: Corsair CX750M | Drives: 128 GB ADATA SP900 SSD & 1 TB HDD | OS: Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit | Display: LG 27" LED Monitor | Audio: HyperX Cloud I Headset | Control: Xbox 360 controller

Kart Driver
    well... most 1080p monitors natively support 720p... at least thats how it use to be. Thats been less common nowadays.

1280x720
    - depending on the monitor you may have to use the scaling options under the Menu/Settings (of the TV/monitor) to get it to display properly.

This my first 1080p display for PC use... prior to - I used 720/760p displays to ensure higher fps in all games maxed
    - this wasnt a good res in the past but these days displays are higher quality so honestly what I see between my 720 and this 1080 now is just a bigger screen
    ... otherwise at first it seemed like a difference (sometimes) but overall its just change that offsets your perception
    Last edited by JSNFARRELL; 12-05-2015 at 13:18.

Platform
    PC
    The first things I would try, would be Environment Map and Reflections to Low.

If you have Geforce Experience installed with the nvidia drivers, it will Auto set what it thinks are the best settings. You could always give that a try and just see what it has.

From your specs, i'm actually surprised you can not run a bit higher than that.
    PC - || Corsair 600C || 1080 TI Founders Edition || AMD Ryzen 7 1800x || 16GB DDR4 4000mhz || Asus Crosshair VI Hero || EKWB 360 + 240 RAD Custom Loop (CPU / GPU) || Corsair AX1200 || Logitech G910 Orion Spectruim || Logitech G700 || Fanatec CSW v2 BMW GT & Formula Rims || Fanatec CSS SQ v1.5 || Fanatec CSP V3 Brake Performance Kit || Fanatec Handbrake || Simvibe || Logitech 5.1 Speakers || 2x Yamaha HS80 || Oculus Rift CV1 ||AOC 34" Ultra-Wide IPS || Synology DS1817+ || Windows 10 Pro x64 ||

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Have you tried the problem tracks with vsync disabled (for testing only)? Some tracks are likely more intensive than others and if you are using vsync and are unable to produce a solid 60fps or close to it you will notice a more severe performance drop than with vsync disabled.