Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why can't I turn?

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by ex_ View Post
    he did say this even occurs at slow speeds. I think that was his way of saying he knows how to drive Just sayin'
    Yeah, believe me, I thought it was just crippling understeer at one point, until I found I could spin the steering wheel 3 times and actually make it around the corner. So it's not just shove. I'm not a great racer, but I do understand weight-transfer, lift and turn, slow in-fast out and all that. And I've been using the race line. On top of that, I've owned a Focus, I know how that car and its steering reacts in general.

I will do more testing later tonight so I can give exact speeds and good approximations of my steering lock and the types of turns I'm trying to take and under what conditions. I'll try some other road cars as well. But if you've run the Focus series, I'm pushing straight ahead on the first bend with a high degree of steering, but I can dial in a lot more wheel and make it around, it's just not normal or comfortable.

The car just feels like a pig in general. My Focus always felt pretty nimble around the curves.

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by vicdavery View Post
    He did say, at slow speeds. But then clarified with:

What I think is slow, and what ForkInSocket thinks are slow might be two different things. 60-70mph and a 15 degree turn in a road car sounds quite quick to me.

Just sayin.....
    I go around a much tighter downhill bend on the highway in a Fusion at 75mph everyday. I'm probably turning the wheel 60 degrees and its a safe, mundane action.

I would guess that 15 degrees on an undulating road shouldn't be hairy unless you're traveling at speeds > 90mph.

Platform
    PC
    try Meg3 RS at Nords and compare with the Meg3RS lap out there in youtube

THat's look pretty similar to me. Maybe a very very slight ratio adjustment but at defaults sounds about right.

The thing is perception, If you were on that same circuit with an SUV, you would be more conscious about turning speed and that turn will look much shaper than a road actually.

I own a Clio IV RS 200 EDC, and It happened sometimes that I though "this one -real car- is stiffer and turns faster and sharper than the MegRS onPCARS" but.... when I check the speeds and I compare satellite images I realize that:

1) I was goin like at half of the speed in Real life
    2) the bend in real life was much much longer with a much higher radius (not the degrees but the radius is key here)

Hope it helps
    Systems tested with Project CARS 2:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 4790K - nVidia GTX 1080ti - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 7700HQ - nVidia GTX 1050 - 16GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i7 6700HQ - nvidia GTX 980m - 8GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i5 4670K - 2x AMD 7970 - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    Core i7 4700HQ - nVidia 970M - 16GB RAM - (Laptop)

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    ForkInSocket did you ever get to the bottom of this? Tuning/settings etc? I'm really struggling with this Focus. Unbelievable understeer even with warm tires. I know the car must be capable of more because the AI can hold a good line around long fast(ish) corners much better and at much higher speeds than I can manage. I just can't compete in this car yet I don't have similar problems in similar cars.

Platform
    XBOX1
    calibrate it again but this time with no much less lock, this will mean less turn of the wheel to make turns.

remember, the more you have to turn the wheel the longer it will take to make a turn, it may only seem like milliseconds but thats all it takes to miss an apex

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Goldenballs2003 View Post
    ForkInSocket did you ever get to the bottom of this? Tuning/settings etc? I'm really struggling with this Focus. Unbelievable understeer even with warm tires. I know the car must be capable of more because the AI can hold a good line around long fast(ish) corners much better and at much higher speeds than I can manage. I just can't compete in this car yet I don't have similar problems in similar cars.
    We'd need more info about how you're driving it. I have no issues with the car, the last time I tried it it had a good bit of lift-off oversteer that can be used to improve turn-in. But being a FWD car, it tends towards understeer normally and especially when pushing hard and/or overdriving it.
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1 for games - RME ADI-2 DAC FS + Hifiman Ananda for music | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen Iiyama ProLite E2607WS 1920 x 1200 |

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman
    Teach how to think, not what to think

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    It is disheartening to see so many assuming the OP is crap at the game rather than entertaining the idea that something may be wrong. I've had the same issue, no by now means am I good at these games, but I'm not totally inept and I found constant handling issues quite annoying.
    I did happen to stumble upon an issue that came up due to another symptom. For me it was a problem with my computer registering two wheels under the same name in the game, so when I turned one, the other (phantom) didn't turn and the game tried to find the middle ground by giving a very reduced steering input. I went to device manager and found 2 versions of the wheel listed, I disabled one and found the problem disappeared.