Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Separate leaderboards for custom & locked setups for Time Trial...

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Question Separate leaderboards for custom & locked setups for Time Trial...

Please read fully before commenting, thanks :-)

In my opinion this just simply has to happen.

Those who enjoy racing for the sheer fun of racing as a driver to see who is the fastest on a complete level playing field with regards to car setups and tracks need their own leaderboards to do so. And likewise those who enjoy tuning cars to see who can make the fastest setup also need their own space to compete, and here's why:

As someone who enjoys hot lapping in the Time Trial section I enjoy jumping in a car I know is identical to that of everyone else getting on track and setting laps one after another over and over so I can stay in the zone and slowly lap by lap by lap work on my lines and technique and work my way up the leaderboards knowing full well it's my driving skill that's got me there. BUT with the current system I have to compete for space on the leaderboards with custom car tunes, some of which I'm told have been tuned to literally just survive for one lap due to heat and low fuel etc, which means that these drivers are starting a Time Trial, putting in 1 fast lap, then having to quit the session to save their time, then restart the session and obviously keep repeating this over and over. Now to me that's not what hot lapping is all about at all. This method will undoubtedly produce faster single lap times which will push all the locked car settings times down the leaderboards. There is also the fact that in game at least there is no way to see who is using a custom tune and who is not which again is not very helpful.

Likewise I am fully aware of the fun and satisfaction that comes from tuning and tweaking a car yourself which sets fast lap times so I fully agree that custom tuning setups should be allowed to participate in Time Trial modes.

I think it would pretty awesome for each party to have somewhere to compete against each others times without having to wade through the leaderboard times to find your actual real "level playing field" rivals.

There is also the time aspect, I for one simply don't have the time to spend hours and hours tuning and testing a certain car for a certain track combination, when I do have time to play PCars I want to drive/race and still be competitive on the leaderboards without having to put in massive amounts of technical background work. And again likewise for those that do have the time to do that, they should have their own place to do so.

Generally speaking I can understand why "tuners" will probably not recognize this as an issue and figure "why not just leave it as it is" and that's more than likely because their times will be at the top of the leaderboards therefore comparing times with each other is actually pretty easy as they will probably be grouped together nearer the top of the leaderboards. It is more of an issue for those who like to compete in locked car setups, we will find our times further down the leaderboards because no matter who fast we can drive, we will never be able to compete with the aero or weight advantages (less fuel carried) that the custom setups can provide.

This game caters for everybody, it can be both a "tuning" simulator and a "driving" simulator, it just doesn't make much sense to force both to compete on the same leaderboards as generally one method will obviously always be faster. The divide between both of these methods of gameplay will always exist within this game and always be problem unless the leaderboards are divided.

FYI contrary to the thread title, actual dividing of the leaderboards entirely may not even be necessary, just adding a search filter button for "locked" & "custom" would also provide the same solution, being able to filter out either type and re assign their leaderboard position would essentially give the same desired results, ie: with no filters applied you might be pos 200 on a certain leaderboard in a locked car setup but when applying a filter to remove custom cars you may actually be pos 1! With the current leaderboards you could actually be the fastest driver of a locked car set and not even know it as you'd somehow have to check all the times above you figure out if they were locked or custom, very tedious work and not a very realistic option.

Likewise this also applies to the Community Events.

I've made my point so I'm not going to continue to argue the case for why either method of gameplay is better, because the bottom line is that both methods are perfect for everybody, both methods should 100% remain in the game, those who tune can tune and those who drive can drive, my argument here is that the method for displaying the results needs some work.
    The following 10 users likes this Post: fancyPants, hotak, Koenigscat, PLTuck, ramonesman1234, scytherage, stux, tennenbaum, VFX Pro, Yoda1285

Platform
    PC
    SO VERY TRUE!

Filtering of customs & locked car setups is a must.

Ripgrove (thanks!!) points out the ultimate truth:

LEADERBOARDS ARE NOT MADE FOR THE 1-10 LEADERS!
    BUT FOR THE HUNDRED THOUSANDS OF PLAYERS HAVING FUN WITH THE GAME who are competing with the pals having similar times.

That's why functional leaderboards with properly designed search-, filter- and compare-functions (for all cars!) are much more motivating then the entire career modus.

Ripgrove described exactly how to do it the best, and why it's so important.

Sometimes devs forget to deploy and boost the dramaturgic aspects (the meta-level of involvement and immersion) that are as much important as the stunning graphics. (Which are indeed stunning!)

The game contradicts its greatness of tuning the cars and applying it to different track locations by its lack of transparency and consistency of when, where and which set up is in effect.

Therefore you need 2-3 setups per car that you must be capable to give names. And, please, display these names in the HUD (during races, TTs, and trainings), so you always know which one is active.

Then - please - make the tuning menu section available directly from the time trial race ( therefore you don't have to leave the TT mode)! You can do so during normal races (in the pit box), but not during time trial.

Hope to see a progression on that matter. -Since the game is so great it hurts me double that the leaderboards functions are so limited.
    Last edited by tennenbaum; 18-05-2015 at 07:27.
    The following 5 users likes this Post: Koenigscat, ramonesman1234, Ripgroove, Thales Baptista, Yoda1285

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I think a large percentage of players have not realized that custom setups are being used on TT and Community Events as there is no option to load setup at the start like normal and the LB's in game do not show Custom/Default, you have to view the LB's from here:

http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.co...cle=2219682419

See the guy at #1 is using a custom setup and me at #2 is using a default setup. Soon, given enough time all the top leader board positions will be set by Custom tunes which again is fine as its a large part of the game BUT it pretty much makes the entire leader board pointless for those of us who prefer to compete using driver skill only on a level playing field.
    Last edited by Ripgroove; 18-05-2015 at 11:45.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    +1 for having a stock setup leaderboard also.

However, I was worried I was going to be left behind in this game as I had no tuning experience, after adapting a bit and learning how to adjust the basics I find I can achieve leaderboard times without altering much from stock.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripgroove View Post
    I think a large percentage of players have not realized that custom setups are being used on TT and Community Events as there is no option to load setup at the start like normal and the LB's in game do not show Custom/Default, you have to view the LB's from here:

http://cars-stats-steam.wmdportal.co...cle=2219682419

See the guy at #1 is using a custom setup and me at #2 is using a default setup. Soon, given enough time all the top leader board positions will be set by Custom tunes which again is fine as its a large part of the game BUT it pretty much makes the entire leader board pointless for those of us who prefer to compete using driver skill only on a level playing field.
    Didn't know there is such nice thing like the steam car stats web link! Is there one for ps4 playstation network, too?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by tennenbaum View Post
    Didn't know there is such nice thing like the steam car stats web link! Is there one for ps4 playstation network, too?
    No unfortunately it seems it's PC only at the moment.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    I'm thinking of building a community website for players to upload and share their tunes, settings, even events (similar to https://sites.google.com/site/gt6tunes/home). I'm not sure if people would be interested in using it, but it's more of an individual project for myself on my spare time.

It would be interesting to see if project cars will eventually provide a public API for developers to pull stats from their central database, then I would be able to add some sort of leaderboard to the site.
    The following user likes this Post: scytherage

Rookie
    Platform
    PC

I think this is a fantastic idea!

Quote Originally Posted by j.lai View Post
    I'm thinking of building a community website for players to upload and share their tunes, settings, even events (similar to https://sites.google.com/site/gt6tunes/home). I'm not sure if people would be interested in using it, but it's more of an individual project for myself on my spare time.

It would be interesting to see if project cars will eventually provide a public API for developers to pull stats from their central database, then I would be able to add some sort of leaderboard to the site.
    I would love to be able to share my tunes and even try out other people's tunes as well. There really needs to be better descriptions or someone needs to come out with a guide for tuning in this game because it is very in depth and most people don't have a clue.

Platform
    PC
    OP is spot on and gets my vote for all the reasons stated, with the added point that XB1 users cannot see leader boards by car types - which has been discussed in other threads as well and hopefully may be included in future updates.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by inthebagbud View Post
    OP is spot on and gets my vote for all the reasons stated, with the added point that XB1 users cannot see leader boards by car types - which has been discussed in other threads as well and hopefully may be included in future updates.
    Nice one.