Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thrustmaster or Mad catz ?

Rookie
    Platform
    XBOX1

Thrustmaster or Mad catz ?

Hi folks trying to decide whether to go for a thrustmaster or mad catz wheel. Seen so many reviews for both wheels and just can't choose between them. Any feedback from owners of both set ups would be appreciated.

Thanks

Graeme

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I haven't used the Madcatz but I watched a lot of reviews before buying. I got the trustmaster tx and previously had a fanatec csr wheel and pedals. So I can compare it to that. It is every bit as good as my fanatec was and I only have the standard pedals and paddle shifters right now. With my fanatec wheel I had the csr elite pedals which had adjustable pressure via springs. Those are really nice and gave braking a lot more of a real world feel. I plan on adding the 3 pedals to the tx and the gated shifter too. I'm a big fan of using the clutch and a proper gearbox. The modular setup of the tx is very much in line with the fanatec so I'm pleased with my choice. Projectcars makes braking more realistic even with the standard pedals. Typically in forza it's very hard to be progressive and not lock up the wheels. I find in this game even without the spring adjustable pedals I can modulate the brakes very well. I'd highly recommend the tx. Now having said that they do have some issues. The first one I got wouldn't center itself after 1 hr of use. They swapped it no problem though and this one has been flawless since.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    KD can you list what you would buy if you had no setup and was starting from scratch.
    I use controller but may look to get a setup together.
    I too like the idea of it being as close to real world as possible with clutch and manual.
    I gather controller is faster? at least thats what i heard with forza.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    The very first purchase to me would be the base package of wheel & pedals. This changes the experience so much that there is no question in my mind. I personally don't care whether I'm faster or slower as much as I care about the "feeling" of true racing. The wheel and pedals do this. I'm still running a 32" 720p TV so the visuals are less important to me than the driving experience. Again this is what the wheel gives you especially in this game. Feeling the bumps in the track even when going down a straight or the "kickback" of a hard wide open shift are just incredible. After the wheel and pedals I'd highly recommend a play seat. The driving position makes for a much more realistic experience. After that my recommendation would be the 3 pedals and shifter. Then move on to a higher def TV. Then if you really want to get into it start working on a good surround system. I run with noise cancelling headphones personally because it allows me to enjoy the sound without everyone in the house having to listen to it.

Hopefully this answers your question. If you are enjoying this game and haven't played it with a wheel do that first and foremost it is just a completely different experience. I've never played with the controller and can't image using one. I did play Forza for a very short time with the controller while waiting for my wheel and I can't stand it. Trying to turn smoothly and hit apexes is just annoying to me using a controller. With the wheel when I'm focused I can hit them good and when I lose focus for a moment I'm off the track and into a barrier. For me this is exactly what I expect.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    So what wheel and pedals would you go for? I know some arnt compatible with xb1. The fanatec pedals look ace.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    For XB1 only the trustmaster and Madcatz are available and of those two I picked the trustmaster.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Go with the Thrustmaster TX. I've had mine since launch in November 2013. Love it. See my signature for how I run it on Project Cars.
    Project CARS 2 - Gold Member
    Xbox Series X/Seagate SSD 1 TB USB/Netgear Nighthawk xr700 Gaming Router/Thrustmaster TX/TM Leather 28 GT Rim/Wheel Stand Pro Deluxe V2/T3PA Pedals/Turtle Beach Elite Pro 2 + Superamp Pro/LGCX48OLED
    The following user likes this Post: Robhd

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    The Thrustmaster has more upgrade options, for example there's the TH8A shifter and the T3PA or T3PA pro pedals, plus there are currently 3 extra rims available. It also has much stronger feedback and you can manually centre the wheel.

Also the TX works with PC, it has been more widely adopted and seems to have much better support.
    Last edited by SN1P3R SK33T; 17-05-2015 at 00:04.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Sounds like the Thrustmaster is favored but it has a stinking Ferrari emblem on it. Not spending a dime on anything Ferrari. I know seems like a lame reason not to buy the better wheel. Ferrari is the enemy. Don't want to finance the enemy.

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by RUSH3RCR View Post
    Sounds like the Thrustmaster is favored but it has a stinking Ferrari emblem on it. Not spending a dime on anything Ferrari. I know seems like a lame reason not to buy the better wheel. Ferrari is the enemy. Don't want to finance the enemy.
    There's a leather wrapped add on steering wheel that isn't Ferrari labeled. May not make you feel better :P

I love my TX. I have read some bad things about the Mad Catz wheel. Those helical gears are pretty odd. See some videos for yourself (both ISR reviews).

Mad Catz Review:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5kyHwH5zCOk

TX Review:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PolMv5B0IEg