Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Low GPU/CPU usage after upgrading GPU.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Low GPU/CPU usage after upgrading GPU.

I'm getting 20-60% GPU usage on Project CARS and any other games. CPU usage doesnt exceed 90%. What is the problem? I get a very unstable 30-80 FPS.
    My PC configuration:
    I3 4150
    Asus B85M Gaming
    Powercolor HD 7870 XT Myst. Edition (as fast as 270x)
    2x4 GB DDR3 1333MHZ
    Corsair VS450

[spoiler][/spoiler]
    Settings are on High except the reflection quality which is on Ultra.

I've seen a I3 4150, 4GB DDR3 1333MHZ and GTX 750 TI setup perform better than my mine on Project CARS. I'm pretty sure my HD 7870 beats the 750 TI. I don't want to believe that it's a bottleneck. Also mentioning that it's not the only game. I can't seem to get over 60% GPU and 90% CPU usage in games or applications.
    Last edited by kekate; 16-05-2015 at 18:03.

Moderator+WMD 1/2 Member Siberian Tiger's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    An I3 Processor is definitly a Bottleneck...

pCars is very demanding on your CPU with all that Physic Calculations...

Even older i5 are struggling with it.
    Member Status: WMD 1 Senior x3 / WMD2 Gold
    Portable System: Dell XPS 17 Notebook CPU: Intel Core i7-2670QM @2.2 GHZ , RAM: 8GB, GPU: NVIDIA GForce GT555M, HDD: WD 2.5" Notebook 500GB, OS: Windows 7 64-bit,Wheel: Logitech G25, Sound: NVidia Onboard Soundcard
    Gaming System AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 / i7 7700K with Antec H2o 920 Liquid Cooling System / PSU: Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 680W / GPU: MSI Gaming GTX1070 (OC) / RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance / SSD: 250GB Samsung Basic 840 / HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Black / OS: Windows 7 64-Bit / Wheel: Thrustmaster T500RS - Standart GT Rim / Monitor: Epson EH-TW3200 Homecinema 16:9 Full HD Beamer / RacingSeat: Playseat with some Modifications...
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Aldo Zampatti, Morgan Henstridge

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Siberian Tiger View Post
    An I3 Processor is definitly a Bottleneck...

pCars is very demanding on your CPU with all that Physic Calculations...

Even older i5 are struggling with it.
    Why doesn't it put the I3 up to its limits then? It's staying below 85% usage.

Platform
    PC
    Ahh and now i see you are on AMD...

They have to do some fixes in there Drivers...

AMD and Windows 8.1 are give you not that Power that should be possible.

AMD has allready tweeted they are working hard on it.

Several Users say with Windows 10 you will get significant more Performance...
    Portable System: Dell XPS 17 Notebook CPU: Intel Core i7-2670QM @2.2 GHZ , RAM: 8GB, GPU: NVIDIA GForce GT555M, HDD: WD 2.5" Notebook 500GB, OS: Windows 7 64-bit,Wheel: Logitech G25, Sound: NVidia Onboard Soundcard
    Gaming System AsRock Z77 Extreme 4 / i7 7700K with Antec H2o 920 Liquid Cooling System / PSU: Be Quiet! Straight Power E9 680W / GPU: MSI Gaming GTX1070 (OC) / RAM: 16GB (4x4GB) Corsair Vengeance / SSD: 250GB Samsung Basic 840 / HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Black / OS: Windows 7 64-Bit / Wheel: Thrustmaster T500RS - Standart GT Rim / Monitor: Epson EH-TW3200 Homecinema 16:9 Full HD Beamer / RacingSeat: Playseat with some Modifications...
    The following user likes this Post: Aldo Zampatti

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmrbV78DoWA
    He has GTX 750 TI and gets stable 50-80 FPS. 99% GPU usage, 80-99% CPU while running 8.1 x64.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Ahh and now i see you are on AMD...

They have to do some fixes in there Drivers...

AMD and Windows 8.1 are give you not that Power that should be possible.

AMD has allready tweeted they are working hard on it.

Several Users say with Windows 10 you will get significant more Performance...
    Thanks for letting me know! Should I upgrade to Windows 10 or downgrade to 7?

Platform
    PC
    I would personally wait for the Driver Fix from AMD...

Because Windows 10 is not Retail... And Windows 7 has his own Problems...

So probably not worth the big work to change to another OS.

AMD should release there New Drivers soon...
    The following 2 users likes this Post: Aldo Zampatti, Gavin Thomas

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I would personally wait for the Driver Fix from AMD...

Because Windows 10 is not Retail... And Windows 7 has his own Problems...

So probably not worth the big work to change to another OS.

AMD should release there New Drivers soon...
    Thanks man. I'm sure that there's a tiny bottleneck in my configuration, but I'm happy to know that the gpu usage is not hardware related, but software. I'll have to reinstall Windows anyways and put my 750GB and 320GB HDDs into RAID. After upgrading/downgrading the OS, I should expect a perfomance increase. Correct?
    Last edited by kekate; 16-05-2015 at 18:16.

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    There is an extensive pCars benchmark on GPU and CPU also on this website.
    http://www.computerbase.de/2015-05/p...sor-vergleich/

According to those figures, the performance described here is about to be expected. As I understand, pCars needs at least 2 CPU cores with good single core performance. 4 cores are only a little better (I assume more stable overall FPS however). Hyper threading does not help at all. Most performance gain comes from increased GHz (=single core speed).
    Last edited by Driiiiver; 16-05-2015 at 19:16.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by kekate View Post
    Thanks man. I'm sure that there's a tiny bottleneck in my configuration, but I'm happy to know that the gpu usage is not hardware related, but software. I'll have to reinstall Windows anyways and put my 750GB and 320GB HDDs into RAID. After upgrading/downgrading the OS, I should expect a perfomance increase. Correct?

2 things:

1) Big kitty up there is correct. i3 is a weak processor for pCARS. i5 Quad Core is recommended.
    2) If you upgrade, do PLEASE reinstall your OS., And AMD is below par at this moment because of drivers issues. I would say "wait until AMD releases a PCARS drivers" and then make your upgrade decition. It should also help with CPU utlization
    Systems tested with Project CARS 2:
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 4790K - nVidia GTX 1080ti - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Core i7 7700HQ - nVidia GTX 1050 - 16GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i7 6700HQ - nvidia GTX 980m - 8GB RAM (Laptop)
    Core i5 4670K - 2x AMD 7970 - 16GB RAM (Desktop)
    Core i7 4700HQ - nVidia 970M - 16GB RAM - (Laptop)

The following user likes this Post: Siberian Tiger