Thread: Project Cars help with HPDE / Track Day Driving?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Project Cars help with HPDE / Track Day Driving?

Has anyone done a HPDE / Track Day since spending some time in Project Cars? Did any improvements translate over to real life? I'm currently a level 4 (out of 5) at Summit Point in Group 1 (after only 1 track day). My biggest issue was navigating the wheel on my 135i. I had a tendency to let the wheel return to center as opposed to navigating the wheel to center; otherwise felt like it was a decent showing and a great track day experience. Hoping PCARS improves my driving when I go back in a couple of weeks. In the game I've noticed I've go considerably better at rolling out the wheel after the apex, and keeping the revs up in underpowered cars.

Here's a vid from the HPDE session (hoping summit point gets released in PCARS so I can do a comparison with the 1M):
    The following user likes this Post: robertedell

Platform
    PC
    Hey kramard,

I'm the Chief Instructor for NASA Central Region. I often encourage drivers to use sims for some practice while not at the track. However, with anything that is not the real thing, it will only help if you use in a manner which is conducive to helping. What I mean by that; players who are trying to win sim races are going to find and exploit any weakness of the sim engine to win. If you are using sims to race competitively online, then you will have to do the same which distracts from how you will drive your real car.

If you use sims how you will use a real car, then you can use them to help with your real life track performance. The main area where sims help is with "finding the line". Learning how to find the line and how to correctly put the vehicle where you want it is the same.

On another note, never turn your head backwards on the track!
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Platform
    PC
    I've found the opposite for now. Having raced around Oulton I find I'm more competitive there in-game now, as I know that place back-to-front. Tho I'm sure when I get the chance to get back on track what I've learnt in pCars will ultimately help.

Oh and "quarter past 9", not 12 o'clock. Maybe it;s the road steering, but watching you put your hand on the top of the wheel makes me shudder
    Processor: Intel i7-4790 @ 3.6GHz Mainboard: Asus Maximus VI Memory: 32GB DDR3 Videocard: MSI 980ti Motherboard Sound/Headphones: Creative SB Z + M/B Sound for SimVibe / Onkyo 5.1 Surround + Astro A50 Headphones Monitors: 3 x Asus 27" VN279H PSU: OCZ ZX1250W Keyboard+Mouse: Corsair Gaming K70 RBG / Logitech G700 Mouse Gamepad/Wheel: Fanatec CSWv2 + BMW Rim, Fanatex CSPv2, Fanatec CS Shifter SQ v1.5 OS: Win7 Ult x64 Storage: 256GB SSD + 3TB HDD
    Resolution: 5040x1080@60Hz Texture Res: High Texture Filter: 4x V-Sync: No AA: MSAA4x FXAA & SMAA: Off Reflections: Low Vehicle Detail: Ultra World Detail: High Shadow Detail: Low Motion Blur: None
    My vrHive Telemetry and Dash App (PC/PS4/XB1) - Forum Page: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...nt-Server-more
    My vrHive Telemetry and Dash App (PC/PS4/XB1) - Web Site: www.vrhive.co.uk
    My YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TR7V8Mike?feature=mhee
    My Twitch Channel: http://www.twitch.tv/mikeytt

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Aaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh!!!!!! I'm watching your hands.

After almost 10 years as a HPDE Instructor, I agree with the other responses. Using a video game to improve real-world track driving *can* help, but only if you focus on *how* it can help.

In your case, at this point in your "HPDE Career," I'd say you could *hugely* benefit from practicing hand positions / actions while playing P-CARS (I assume you're using a wheel with P-CARS). You should only adjust hand position *when you must* - that means leaving 'em at 9 and 3 unless your arms start to cross (roughly speaking, have an instructor show you). Also, never leave your hand resting on the stick --- keep it on the wheel until you're at your shifting point, then shift and get right back in place.

- Don
    It never ceases to amaze me that nothing amazes me anymore...