Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Different handling from Free Practice to Time Trial

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Different handling from Free Practice to Time Trial

Hello, I'm currently trying to make a setup for Monza GP to qualify for an event with a McLaren MP12 GT3. The qualifiers are based on TT score.

Since you can't edit your setup in the TT mode, I decided to do this in Free Practice. So, even though I don't understand the telemetry HUD, I was able to make the car much better and score a 1:47.5 lap time. This was achieved with Soft Slick tyres and I guess 10l of fuel in the tank.

Finding myself comfortable with the setup, I went to TT to get at least close to that lap time but the car behaves differently. It's less responsive and it seems like it lacks traction, even though tyre temps are the same as Free Practice (around 85C) and I can tell it's faster than standard setup. I only managed to improve 4', going from 1:48.642 to 1:48.202, instead of the 1s difference I easily got before.

Why is this happening? Are settings different from mode to mode? I don't think it's my driving, sure I need to improve a lot, but I made some mistakes even on that fast lap as well.

I wonder if it's also different in an online race weekend, because spending hours setting up the car and have it behave differently from mode to mode is just a waste of time to me.
    The following user likes this Post: nedimgbt

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    In your practice session are you running at the same time of day as the TT is being run?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by jason View Post
    In your practice session are you running at the same time of day as the TT is being run?
    Shadows are different, I guess TT has got a real time setting while free practice seems to be set early in the morning. How does that affect my performance?

Moderator +WMD 1/2 Member Roger Prynne's Avatar
    Platform
    PC
    Also the track is 'rubberd in' in TT

in FP you can set date and time.

Difference in track temps.
    Mobo: GIGABYTE GA-970A-DS3P AMD 970 ATX | CPU: AMD FX-8350 4.0 GHz (4.20 GHz Turbo) 8x Core | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master V8 | Memory: 16GB DDR3 (1600MHz)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 2GB GDDR5 - (Driver: 385.69)| Displays: 55" LG 4K UHD TV @ 60Hz - 24" Monitor 1920x1080 @ 60Hz | PSU: Sea Sonic X - 850 Watt
    Storage: SSD 250GB Samsung 850 EVO x2 - 2TB Western Digital Caviar Green Sata III x2 | Sound: X-FI Xtreme Gamer Fatality Pro + 400W Technics 7.1
    Wheel: G25 & Pedals with Nixim mod springs (NO PROFILER USED) | RIG: Playseat Challenge | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A few helpful links for you

Platform
    XBOX1
    I started setting my car up with this in mind. For me the TT is always 1s quicker so when I'm working I always keep that in mind. It's usually no biggie but on some occasions the extra quickness can throw the cars set-up out of whack.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Temps are pretty much the same, just 3-4 higher but that's no big deal since they're already quite low. Anyway, is there a difference between practice and online race weekend as well?

Platform
    XBOX1
    Depends on how the host sets the room. Rain, day, night, time progression and so forth. Most guys run a practice or qualifying so you have time to tune the problems out.

Platform
    PC
    TT start with tyres fully up to temp. FP you'll need at least an out lap to warm them.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mangoat View Post
    TT start with tyres fully up to temp. FP you'll need at least an out lap to warm them.
    Not with GT3 cars. Their tires are always preheated.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 10700KF@Stock + UV | GPU ASUS TUF RTX3080 Gaming OC 10GB 1920MHz@900mV | RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | MB MSI Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | SSD 1 1000GB Patriot VPN100 M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVME | SSD 2 1000GB Samsung 860-EVO | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Monitor Iiyama 34" Ultrawide Curved 3440x1440 | Wheel Fanatec CSW 2.5 + Clubsport Formula V2 + CSL Elite Steering Wheel WRC | Pedals Fanatec CSL Elite LC
    Second Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27

STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1

Platform
    PC
    The difference beteween TT and all the other modes is that TT sets you up with the very most ideal combination of conditions for both car and track. Your car will have a bare minimum of tank in the gas, the very grippiest tyres it has access to, just the right air and track temperature, fully rubbered in track, perfect temperature for the tyres, etc. Theoretically it is possible, I guess, to replicate the same exact conditions in any of the other modes, but it is very difficult to do. Pretty much always one or more factors will be different.

Computer
    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-GAMING 5 | CPU Intel Core i7-4790K @4 GHz, Turbo @ 4.40GHz | RAM Kingston HyperX Predator Beast 2x 8GB DDR3 @2200MHz CL11-13-14 | Graphics 2x Gigabyte GV-N970G1 GAMING 4Gb in SLI | Sound ASUS Xonas Essence STX | OS Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit
    Hardware
    Rig Obutto r3volution | Screens 3x 24" Eizo Foris FS2434-BK @ 5840 x 1080 | Earphones BeyerDynamic DT770 - BeyerDynamic DT990 | Wheel bases Fanatec CSW v2 - Fanatec CSW v1 - Fanatec CSR Elite | Rims BMW rim (2100g, 320mm) - Formula rim (1210g, 2800mm) - Universal Hub + QSP flat touring 300 leather (1600g, 300mm) - Universal Hub + OMP corsica alcantara (1600g, 320mm) | Pedals Heusinkveld Engineering Sim Pedals Pro - Fanatec CSR Elite

Racing experience
    PC Project Cars - NFS Shift 2 - NFS Shift - NFS Pro Street | Assetto Corsa | Raceroom Racing Experience - Race 07 with all expansions - GTR 2 - GTR - GT Legends | F1 2011 - F1 2010 - Dirt 3 | Next Car Game | GRID AutoSport | Juiced | Viper Racing
    Xbox Forza 4 - Forza Horizon - Forza 3 PS3 Gran Turismo 5 - Gran Turismo 5 Prologue - Ferrari Challenge, Trofeo Pirelli

Need a setup? http://projectcarssetups.eu/ - My setups: http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/byuser/RimanDk - Jussi's (OEM) setups: http://projectcarssetups.eu/#/byuser/Jussi
    Everything about the setups website here: http://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sho...ll-your-setups
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Ian Bell, Mellowyellow, Roger Prynne