Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Wheel/pedals randomly stops working, seems connected to playing online?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Wheel/pedals randomly stops working, seems connected to playing online?

This is game-breakingly frustrating and seems to have started only with the most recent patch.

Every time I start a session, I play a roulette game of, "Will my wheel work? Or will I have to restart my game and try again?"

What happens is that every time I start a new session, there is a high chance that none of my wheel (or pedal) inputs will be recognized and FFB goes dead. It happens randomly, but the only thing I've been able to do to make it happen more often is to join/host online servers. It's almost like after playing one session online, all subsequent sessions (and the game as a whole) will no longer recognize wheel input.

I cannot overstate how frustrating this is. It is game breaking. This is as close as you can get to being unplayable short of the game not starting up.
    Is there a known fix to this? I've searched everywhere but haven't found anything. The best I've been able to find is other people having this problem but with no solutions. I don't know if those people are still playing the game or not. I heard somebody say that turning off Steam Overlay would help, but it didn't. I'm at wits end here.

I'm using a Driving Force GT. My drivers are up to date. I'm using the recommend Logitech Profiler.

Edit: Later on in the thread I found a way to repeat the issue. Basically, it's the online menu with the server browser. Going into that menu guarantees a loss of control that you can tell because the D-Pad or face buttons on the wheel no longer respond or allow you to manipulate the menu. Entering a race after this happens means you will have no control whatsoever.

The below post is when I figured it out.

Quote Originally Posted by Why485 View Post
    I'm able to cause repeatedly by starting the game, navigating to the online menu using the wheel, waiting for the servers to load using the wheel, backing out to the main menu with the wheel, then repeating over and over again. Eventually I won't be able to back out anymore to the main menu anymore because the wheel will have lost connection the game and is completely useless. The shortest it's taken is 3 cycles. The longest it's taken is 11 cycles. I'm not sure what's been different that would cause the different number of cycles.

Edit:
    Ah, you beat me to it, but yes we seem to have got a good lead on what causes it. I was just about to see if it was timer based, but if you waited 10 minutes it doesn't seem to be.

Edit 2: Doesn't look like you need to wait for the server list load. This time I quickly entered and exited the menu fast enough that it never displayed the list of servers. Eventually it stopped working and I lost wheel input. It almost feels like it's timer based considering how many button presses of X and O (enter and exit) it took me to do this compared to waiting for the list to load, but that doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Edit 3: It does not seem to require wheel input. I just did the enter/exit the server browser menu over a bunch of times using only the keyboard and mouse. After doing it for a minute or so, I tried to use the wheel to do anything and it didn't work. I've done this twice now with only keyboard/mouse and got the same results.

Edit 4: It's definitely something about the online menu. I just spent a couple minutes trying to cause it by going into and out of the Solo menu but it worked just fine. After giving up on that I decided to try the Online menu again. After 10-15 seconds of entering/exiting it, I lost wheel connection.

Edit 5: Tried something a little different this time. I entered the Online menu and waited for 2 minutes without touching anything. After 2 minutes, I was able to back out of the menu with the wheel. I re-entered it again, and this time the game had lost connection to the wheel and I couldn't back out.

Something important to note here is that I never lose connection in any screen other than the Online server browser. There's never been a case where I lose connection in the main menu or another menu and cannot enter commands with my wheel to go somewhere else. It's always in the server browser that I lose connection.

I don't know what else to give SMS beyond this. If this isn't already in some internal bug tracker it needs to be now. The best advise I can give players to avoid this is to go through the Online menu as fast as possible and hope you beat the wheel giving up.
    Last edited by Why485; 08-11-2015 at 05:20.

Banned
    This happens at seemingly random times. Like after a race I go to make setup changes in the garage, and my wheel and pedals have disconnected. Don't think it's related to online play, just a general glitch I think. This happened far less often before patch 4.0. You need to restart the game when this happens. Thrustmaster TX and Fanatec CLubsport Elites here.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    same for me on the DFGT too.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    It also happens to me with a DFGT, there has been posts with other wheel users experiencing the same issue.

The suspicion is its something to do with this part of the last update:

"Steering wheel angle now reverted to always centering during pause / pits / menus / etc. An alternative fix is now implemented to prevent the jolting when un-pausing the game."

I am quite surprised there has been nothing done about this issue yet :/

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    This has happened multiple times to a friend of mine with a G27 as well. I was going to say that maybe it's a Logitech thing but then Krus Control says he has a Thrustmaster so I don't know.

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    This happens to me when I alt tab to another program excel say for setups or pcars profiler
    i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz, MSI r9 390x gaming 8gb, 16Gb of ram

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Is this an official bug reported anywhere? It seems pretty commonplace.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Well its not on their list of known issues so probably not.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Hi! I have the same problem, only sometimes when I try to play a online race.
    Do we have any answer from the developers?
    Thanks.
    Best regards.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I had the same problem, and it seems solved now by means of installing the correct ... or any driver for that matter, THEN installing Project Cars.

You see, I'm not sure I installed any driver at all, cause some games don't mind, but I did for Project Cars. One difference is that the game was already installed, and then I installed some drivers.
    These are just the ones you get from logitech.com/support/g27 (in my case). I may either had no, or I had the 32 bit drivers.

Now I re-installed Windows, installed the 64-bit Logitech drivers, THEN installed Project Cars ... and all seems OK now.
    I also had problems saving ANY setting (not only wheel), he would reset most or all to default, on every restart.

That seems OK now.