Thread: New TV Question...for PC

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Question New TV Question...for PC

Just try to get a feel on what I could be expecting if I were to go out and buy a new TV....

I am currently playing pCARS on PC on my pretty old Sony 1080p 60hz TV. Its only a 32" and since I am playing on a Obutto without using the TV mount the screen is pretty far from me. And while I've done this for years I figure the TVs are cheap enough now to maybe consider doing something bigger. Pretty much most new TVs out there now can be had with 4K and quite a few are pretty affordable. But I don't think I can even consider running games in 4K on my PC:

i7-5820k
    MSI X99 Krait
    32GB DDR4
    eVGA GTX970 SC 4GB

I can run pCARs now pretty well I think(to my eyes) on the TV at 1080p, I am seeing 80-90fps normally running pretty much highest detail level and even in pretty demending state(20+ car in the storm at Bathurst) I am still getting 60fps driving. In replay I've seen it dips to 40-50fps. But I am sure in no way this can handle actually 4k in pCARS. So I am wondering what can I expect more or less from a image quality or performance standpoint that if I were to get a new 4K TV but run the game in just 1080p mode. Also wondering what the impact maybe with the newer TV being 120hz vs my old one being 60.

Thanks.

Platform
    PC
    TV's well most run HDMI only can run at 60HZ. My tv was 240 but that done in the tuner so you only getting 60. That's why I bought a 144HZ monitor with display ports. Well I bought 3 as I run 3 monitors. 1080 AT 144hz LOOKS BETTER THAN 60 AT 4k TO ME.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Well monitor isn't an option mainly because I am looking for a replacement TV and I have no dedicated space for a monitor...

WMD Member
    Get a Tv tuner for your X99 pc system and then get a suitably sized pc monitor?
    i7 5820k @ stock (for now) | Gigabye X99 Gaming 5P | 16GB DDR4 3000MHz @2133 (for now) | Sapphire Nitro R9 390 | Fanatec GT3 RS v1 & Clubsport Pedals | Windows 10 home| Samsung 512GB NMVe | 512GB MX100 SSD | BenQ XL2730Z

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by N0body Of The Goat View Post
    Get a Tv tuner for your X99 pc system and then get a suitably sized pc monitor?
    A 40"+ monitor?

Personally I am not a fan of sitting in the Obutto outside of actually racing. I still use a separate desk for all my regular computing use. Switch to TV to race or if I have movie on the PC I want to watch(but I still don't sit in the Obutto when I do).

Platform
    PC
    I ran on my 70 big screen TV for a year it was more of a funds thing for me. After I went with a new pc and triples I was much happier. If I download a movie I just put it on a usb and watch it on the tv. The only issues would be getting close enough with the Obutto depending on the size of the TV.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    There are a few 40Ē UHD monitors on the market, and thereíll probably be more over the coming year as I think the popularity of this size has caught the industry by surprise (look out for reviews of the Philips BDM4065UC and Iiyama ProLite X4071UHSU-B1 on Google).

As to a bigger HD TV, I think you've identified the potential issues when you talk about the size and distance from the screen. I actually sit further away from my 42Ē HD TV than I would like to (donít have a dedicated stand for it at the moment, using a standard TV stand with selves instead).

Just measured it and my head sits around 4ft/120CM from the screen, and even at this distance I can notice the aliasing on the graphic edges (not necessarily a problem for you, but it is for me). Thankfully, I have an SLI set up and PCars gives us tons of choice when it comes to AA, so itís not so bad as in other sims, which shall remain nameless at this point

Of course UHD over HD would solve this to a degree, but then I would be swapping AA performance overheads for pushing more pixels, no problem on my SLI rig, but still something to take into consideration - As always with these things, itís a case of when do I jump in. Like I say, I'm sure the choice in 40Ē PC monitors for gaming will only increase, so that means so will the added features like G-Sync/FreeSync, etc.

Right now I would say that there is little difference between choosing one of the monitors described above and a good UHD TV with HDMI 2.0 and a low input lag - if I were in your shoes, then Iíd have to weigh up the importance of gaming verses TV/movie watching in making a decision.

You can always wait and see where the industry goes of course (some exciting things happening with VR and OLED right now), but then I've been waiting to see what happens for around two years now, and I still canít make up my mind.

Platform
    PC
    Great site for POV calculation distance for size and distance from monitor.

http://www.projectimmersion.com/fov/howto.php?g=pCARS

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Rumor has it that Samsung are planning on releasing a 32:9 (3.5x wider than high) display in 47 and 49" sizes, running just below 4k total resolution. That would be pretty awesome. And if true, I'd prefer to save up some cash and pick up a Pascal based video card and one of these beasts.

Depending on how rendering such a wide angle would be handled by games.
    PC: i7-4790k@4.5, 16GB RAM, GTX 1080, 34" 1080p Ultawide Display, TrackIR5