Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reiza Studios-Automobilista-Copyright Issue !

Platform
    PC

Reiza Studios-Automobilista-Copyright Issue !

Yesterday Steam took down Reiza Studios Game Automobilista as it had received a Copyright demand. So Valve doing what they have to took down the Automobilista game from Steam and its store until the matter is solved.

In reply on their Thread, Reiza have only said- (from Reiza's Forums)

"The Steam store page for Automobilista has been taken down due to a copyright infringement claim which had been submitted to Valve.

As is known, Automobilista packages a variety of officially licensed cars & brands alongside fictionalized, originally created content. The claim in question does not make any specific reference to content present in Automobilista supposedly in infringement of the partyīs copyright - until it does, our belief is that it has no merit.

We have already taken the appropriate measures to resolve the issue ASAP, but in accordance to Valveīs policy, the process may take a few days to be completed".

There's quite allot of Speculation that it relates to the F1 models in Reiza's title and the fact their in game Liveries are a very close resemblance (almost too close) to the real ones, yet Reiza don't see it ?
    Some Forums like PRC and RD are allready starting to guess what the Copyright is over as Reiza is bound under the T&C to stay quiet.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	idk-what-to-call-this.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	230733

Name:	renato-2.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	215.5 KB 
ID:	230734

Name:	SaN3EXZ.jpg 
Size:	181.2 KB 
ID:	230735

Then the Next question is that with Reizas Boxa (Porsche GT)coming out soon, will Porsche make a move as well ?

Name:	grab_0031.jpg 
Views:	269 
Size:	47.5 KB 
ID:	230736

Name:	2010-porsche-911-gt3-cup-photo-298680-s-986x603.jpg 
Views:	268 
Size:	83.5 KB 
ID:	230737

Then there's the SuperV8 which is their take on the Australian V8Supercar? Does the V8SC make a please explain as well.

Name:	187512_18_1.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	69.1 KB 
ID:	230738

Name:	gsc-2015-08-31-16-03-18-54.jpg 
Size:	248.2 KB 
ID:	230739

Name:	SCE_1_38_3.jpg 
Size:	254.8 KB 
ID:	230740

Regardless of the Winner, the Sim Community are going to end up being the looser with modders reluctant to push out the Favored Formula 1 Mods and stick to Generic creations or perhaps makes and models that will give no action like the current has. Its not known what the result will be nor do we know how long it could take. I understand someone like Reiza with a love for simracing and wanting to bring out Mods, Tracks etc, but there has to be some level heads about this that brining something like a "Boxa/Boxer" wont draw suspicion regardless of the name or features. Brands have a right to protect their Rights and IP when Licenses are involved.
    CPU-i7 4770, MOBO- Asus Maximus Hero VI, RAM- 12GB, GPU- Nvidia GTX970 G1 Gaming, MONITORS- 3 x 27" Viewsonic. HDD 2x 2TB, 3x1TB, 1x 250GB SSD w/OS Win10 64bit
    WHEEL- G27 w/ Frex Sequential Shifter, DSD FVSII Button Box.

I may not be the Best but its a passion that i have for Livery design and My current work shows my passion. Feel free to look at my liveries at Photobucket

Platform
    PC
    I wasn't really following this game up till now, but it strikes me as rather naive to think they'd get away with such obvious similarities. Especially the Porsche lookalike is guaranteed to give them more trouble (if it's not already the reason for taking the game down now).
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman
    Teach how to think, not what to think
    The following user likes this Post: Invincible

Platform
    XBOX1
    That hrt logo is almost identical to their older one.

I don't understand why with any of those examples that they would toe the line like that. It's just stupid.

Name:	tmp_6791-maxresdefault(2)-2028480858.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	173.5 KB 
ID:	230742

Platform
    PC
    What's next, is Robby Gordon/Traxxas going to claim copyright infringement for the Super Truck?

If it is FOM coming down on Reiza, this is nothing but bad publicity for an organization that has nothing better to do than come down on small game developers. If they want to do that, why not bust down the doors of everyone who made F1 mods for rFactor while they're at it?
    "Racing, competing, is in my blood. It's part of me, it's part of my life; I've been doing it all of my life. And it stands up before anything else." - Ayrton Senna

Steam l PC specs

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flare View Post
    What's next, is Robby Gordon/Traxxas going to claim copyright infringement for the Super Truck?

If it is FOM coming down on Reiza, this is nothing but bad publicity for an organization that has nothing better to do than come down on small game developers. If they want to do that, why not bust down the doors of everyone who made F1 mods for rFactor while they're at it?
    People who make mods don't earn money from it. Reiza does.

We can argue for days how sad such things are for us simracers, but in the end it's about intellectual property and business.
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1/AKG K401 | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen LG 27EA63V-P 27" 1920x1080 | Controllers Fanatec CSW v2.5 + UH, CSP v3, CSS SQ, CSH | Misc TrackIR 4 Pro, Playseat Revolution, DS button box

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman
    Teach how to think, not what to think

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Azure Flare View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Remco Van Dijk View Post
    People who make mods don't earn money from it. Reiza does.

We can argue for days how sad such things are for us simracers, but in the end it's about intellectual property and business.
    Look at RD, they already removed many F1 mods after a claim from FOM.

Edit: http://www.pcgamesn.com/f1-2015/doze...ampionship-ltd
    Last edited by Bealdor; 31-03-2016 at 09:23.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 10700KF@Stock + UV | GPU ASUS TUF RTX3080 Gaming OC 10GB 1920MHz@900mV | RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | MB MSI Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | SSD 1 1000GB Patriot VPN100 M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVME | SSD 2 1000GB Samsung 860-EVO | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Monitor Iiyama 34" Ultrawide Curved 3440x1440 | Wheel Fanatec CSW 2.5 + Clubsport Formula V2 + CSL Elite Steering Wheel WRC | Pedals Fanatec CSL Elite LC
    Second Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27

STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1

I'm going to throw my speculation hat in for the fun of it and say Porsche, they've been openly hostile even to modders in the past for putting their cars into games, so I think it wouldn't be entirely unreasonable to think they might attack if a game is making money from something that is clearly replicating it

It's all speculation though really, hopefully we find out the real story one day

Platform
    XBOX1
    I would not be surprised at all if when the game comes back up it's either a) missing all content that clearly is an unlicensed replica. Or b) they keep everything up and more rights holders challenge them on it.

It could be Porsche, or ea as the digital rights holders. They take groups down for much less

Platform
    PC
    I am not at all surprised by this, I could go as far as to say I have been waiting for it. They have been skirting a very fine line.
    r5 2600X | Asus RX Vega 56 Strix | 16GB RAM | Fanatec CSL Elite + CSP V3 + TH8A shifter | Next Level Racing Wheel Stand

Platform
    PC
    On their official forums they claim they have done nothing wrong nor do there liveries infringe.
    I think Reiza are just playing the "Were a small team and no one will bother us" But the new Automobilista Game all the F1 liveries are way too close to the real ones. With images as someone said on sites like Virtual R, BSim Racing, Race Dep, PRC it was to be expected that it would get out .

They have said that due to the notice given they can't advise the public what the issue is, but looking at PRC some have hit it on the Head. Either F1, V8Supercars, Porsche or the Stadium Trucks is where the issue lies.

On the other hand, Brands have a right to be protected along with the IP etc. It will be interesting to see what comes of it.
    Renato of Reiza Studios replied to the thread at Race Dept-
    "This is not a matter that has value being discussed in detail publicly Iīm afraid.

I will say this though - the anger here is indeed misplaced. Companies can claim rights when they perceive there to be an infringement of their IP- this does not necessarily mean there will be a legal dispute. Usually just adjusting to address what has been objected to can and often suffices. We might do just that if the complaint is further specified - at this stage it hasnīt been, which is why for now we believe it lacks merit.

The real troublesome issue here is why we have been targetted to begin with - generally speaking, we are too small to get in the radar of any major company, and despite some pseudo-legal argumentation going on in this thread, legally there is nothing fundamentally wrong or even different to what is done in other, substantially bigger games (not just in racing).

What has become strikingly evident is that there are some disgruntled individuals in our tiny community doing the scrutinity work & delivering it for these companies - just because these people seem to think thatīs where the fun in simracing is now. With DCMA rules being what they are, if companies or their monitoring agencies are delivered with an argument on a platter, irrespective of its merits, itīs not difficult to use and even abuse that to claim infringement.

If this trend continues (and by now it would be sensible to take that for granted if we want to stay in business), the immediate and long-term effects might well be a further departure from any fictionalized content that may become subject to such complaints in favour of officially licensed content. This will drive costs up, possibly affect our ability to deliver interesting driving experiences, and potentially offset the balance of the product to such an extent that we are forced to redesign it and the business model around it. This is unlikely to affect AMS much, but it will certainly impact our next product where the stakes are already higher.

Iīll be completely frank and state that depending on how things develop from here, this may change how we approach the business altogether. There just isnīt enough money in the type of products weīve been making to be worth this kind of hassle."
    Last edited by Darren O'Brien; 03-04-2016 at 06:59.
    CPU-i7 4770, MOBO- Asus Maximus Hero VI, RAM- 12GB, GPU- Nvidia GTX970 G1 Gaming, MONITORS- 3 x 27" Viewsonic. HDD 2x 2TB, 3x1TB, 1x 250GB SSD w/OS Win10 64bit
    WHEEL- G27 w/ Frex Sequential Shifter, DSD FVSII Button Box.

I may not be the Best but its a passion that i have for Livery design and My current work shows my passion. Feel free to look at my liveries at Photobucket