Thread: Anyone have a Sony Android TV?

Platform
    PC

Anyone have a Sony Android TV?

Interested in upgrading my old HDTV from ~2009 and like the idea of having Android as the OS so I don't have to keep changing inputs for things like Kodi + Google Cast.

That has me looking at Sony's. It's a tough choice between the following:

2015 Full HD - would probably do that job for the next # years, seems to have most of the smart TV features and double to onboard storage (for Android apps) at 16GB. Some feedback of slow performance accessing media files via USB but no such issues over home network (NAS). $1198 AU

2015 4K - supposedly can be upgraded to have a 'taste' of HDR via software update. ~$1625 (down from original $3000 price tag when first released)

2016 4K HDR - HDR standard not completely agreed on yet (another format war between open source (winning) and Dolby, and some are dissing the HDR Premium standard as partially irellevant (requires too much brightness capability) so some are ignoring it altogether. $2496 down to $2296.

The only problem with going latest and greatest is there won't be any 4K (let alone HDR) content for quite some time. I'm in no rush to buy another optical player (not that many exist) and our Australian Internet can sometimes struggle with 1080P streaming depending on bitrate. For the price of the 4K HDR TV I could purchase the standard Full HD and 9 years of Netflix by way of comparison.

So just checking to see if anyone has either of these and what they think. I'm not a massive videophile when it comes to screen panel/backlight tech used.

MB Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390 // CPU Intel i9 9900K // RAM Corsair Vengeance RGP Pro 32GB DDR4 @3200MHz // GPU Gigabyte nVidia 1080 Ti // M.2 NVME SSD Samsung 960 EVO 2TB // SSD Samsung 850 Evo 1TB

CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x62 280mm AIO // Case Fractal Design Define R6 Type C // Display ASUS PG34Q 34" 3440x1400 100Hz G-SYNC LCD // Speakers Logitech Z5500-D 5.1ch // OS Windows 10 Pro x64// Build Default Parameters

VR Oculus Rift CV1 // Wheel Fanatec CSR Elite // Pedals Fanatec Clubsport // Shifter Thrustmaster TH8RS with InterfaceOne wheel adapter // Head Tracking TrackIR v4 // Audio Transducer ButtKicker Gamer v2.0 //

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    Yeah ive got the 2015 UHD KD 55x 8500c , i paid $16xx late last year , thought they'd be cheaper by now ,
    Anyway , smart features and accessing media via usb storage are pretty slow even through 3.0 compared to my mates similar spec samsung .
    Pretty happy with UHD video images . Ive got 6 sony uhd's on a harddrive (sony privilage movies) that are , i guess upscaled blue ray and downloading UHD stuff from youtube .
    My internet struggles with any 4k streaming but full HD Netflix looks nice . Black look abit grey when watching movies in the dark although my Wife doesn't see it , just me .
    I game on it , in game mode i dont notice much lag but in any other mode i could make a coffee inbetween input to responce , lol , horrible .
    For the price i paid im happy , had i paid more id be a little annoyed with black level but watching anythink UHD during the day is pretty awesome , it even deals well with fast moving pictures well .
    The worst thig about it is accessing the web , slow slow slow . I refuse to use those features , so if you would be wanting smart features choose samsung . Other than that get the sony as they all struggle with black levels but sony colours are more true to life .

Platform
    PC
    Cheers mate. They had 40% off Sony soundbars yesterday so thought I better do something and after staring at the pixels at point blank range I figured what the heck and got the X85D with a HT-NT5. Something like $4000 down to $2800 with the specials and a little negotiation. With just a few hours experience I can confirm a lot of what you mentioned is still there overall it does look like a big jump over the old Gen5 screen I had. While I don't mind a bit of Opera browsing on PC the Android TV experience was not good as you say. Their PS3 browser was better.

Just been trying to find all the HD channels and map them to the single-digits. Seem to be missing ONE HD, and ABC HD. Also thought 7mate had a HD version as well but most of their shows are a decade old anyway so nvm.
    Major issue so far is getting HDMI ARC + CEC working. TV just refuses to notice the soundbar. All software up to date and verified it's wired up correctly. Optical for now, which sounds ok but requires the use of two remotes.
    Last edited by Ryzza5; 21-07-2016 at 03:19.

MB Gigabyte Aorus Master Z390 // CPU Intel i9 9900K // RAM Corsair Vengeance RGP Pro 32GB DDR4 @3200MHz // GPU Gigabyte nVidia 1080 Ti // M.2 NVME SSD Samsung 960 EVO 2TB // SSD Samsung 850 Evo 1TB

CPU Cooler NZXT Kraken x62 280mm AIO // Case Fractal Design Define R6 Type C // Display ASUS PG34Q 34" 3440x1400 100Hz G-SYNC LCD // Speakers Logitech Z5500-D 5.1ch // OS Windows 10 Pro x64// Build Default Parameters

VR Oculus Rift CV1 // Wheel Fanatec CSR Elite // Pedals Fanatec Clubsport // Shifter Thrustmaster TH8RS with InterfaceOne wheel adapter // Head Tracking TrackIR v4 // Audio Transducer ButtKicker Gamer v2.0 //
    The following user likes this Post: BigDad

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Hi i have just brought a 2016 sony SD85 and I'm very happy with it I haven't got a 4k blue ray player but the picture quality is a massive improvement over my old Sony bravia, only paid 1220 for it bargain!