Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: pCARS 2 - lots new features - but have they polished what was there?

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

pCARS 2 - lots new features - but have they polished what was there?

I've waited a long, long time to make this post. I wonder if it'll get any attention. So the league I race at, PRL, dropped pCARS due to the fear of bugs - some legitimate, a lot not, but nonetheless the game got this somewhat unfair reputation and people just didn't want to deal with it anymore. People were afraid of turning on Time and Weather progression for fear of crashing the game, for instance. I always pushed to keep the game, but I wasn't able to keep a positive attitude around the game and everyone migrated to AC or iRacing.

The reason I appreciate the game, and put up with things not quite working 100% correct, is because of how ambitious it was. Weather, single player career, tons of cars on track, etc, etc. And compared to other games, it was a complete experience. AC, for instance, doesn't even have in-menu music - it feels like a beta game.

Regardless, probably due to the vastness of the game, some features just didn't work they way they should have. A few examples -
    - Inters were useless 'cuz when it started raining, no matter intensity, the track would be 100% wet within a lap.
    - FB wet tires worked quite well and would last quite a while in a dry track. And the Medium tires were FASTER than the softs.
    - Clip cup rain tires worked better when cold, and even better when they were worn down to nothing.
    - Navigating menu options was super twitchy - you're hitting down on the dpad, but a tiny glance on left or right would be detected as a full press - so when you're in the pits, it was super easy to accidentally put on wets without noticing when you just wanted to navigate down. So people would pit, and come out with Wet tires, and they would scream out "BUGGGG!!"
    - Single player weather was scripted
    - In single player you couldn't get a new contract offer from a better team in the same championship - and a really strong opponent in one race might be awful in the next race - so you could win championships rather easily just be doing ookay. winning wasn't necessary.

Then there's stuff that other racing sims have done well that pCARS could just do the same way because it works, but it doesn't. Like a pit menu while out on track the way codemasters does it. Or having refueling and changing tires happen at the same time like AC does it. Or the most facepalm thing, the player names while out on track - the text was super tiny b4 so it was useless, so months later they fix it.... by increasing the font size, but it scales up as the cars get closer to you so they look HUGE - again useless. Look at how F12016 does it! Just do it that way, it works! Same font size that fades in and out with distance! jeesh.

So none of these were legitimate bugs, they were design choices, or overlooked design choices, that nonetheless felt like bugs to a lot of people. Then there were the legitimate bugs, being upside down on the grid b4 the race, going to the pits and never being allowed to go out again, the car exploding hitting invisible walls.

So I hope that since there will be so many new features in pCARS2, I sure hope more importantly than the new features, they made sure that existing features worked better.

We'll see....
    Last edited by Javaniceday; 14-02-2017 at 05:30.

Platform
    PC
    Who are 'they'? You know you're on our forum right?

Call us 'you'
    The following 7 users likes this Post: breyzipp, F1_Racer68, Francisnf, JessicaWalter, Konan, RacingAtHome, SlowBloke

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Bell View Post
    Who are 'they'? You know you're on our forum right?

Call us 'you'
    Hi Ian! Big Fan. I'm so rooting for you guys. Can't wait for the game I just wanted to addresses these issues I've been worried about 'cuz I wanna be able to play it with the league. Thanks for reading!
    The following user likes this Post: Ian Bell

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaniceday View Post
    Hi Ian! Big Fan. I'm so rooting for you guys. Can't wait for the game I just wanted to addresses these issues I've been worried about 'cuz I wanna be able to play it with the league. Thanks for reading!
    Short answer for you is that we've went hell for leather to make pCARS2 a great option for leagues and esports. Probably 95% of the customer requested features have been and are being worked on.

In terms of bugs specifically, pCARS1 was a very special case of development with 80,000 people inputting, little funds available for QA and a crazy ongoing monthly feature and asset update.

It's all different this time.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    @Ian Bell
    I read somewhere that pCARS2 for PC will have some kind of race result export for use for ex. league admins... Since im on console this caught my attention, as this feature would be awesome, maybe export options for console user could be via UDP ? we saw with pCARS1 that there is a lot of really great app developers out there....

Could you shed any light on the possibilities for a feature of this kind ? could be really cool with a pCARS2 api for extracting this type of information, maybe SMS could store all the needed information for a shorter period of time (24 hours or a couple of days) - just so the league admin could have enough time to extract the information for use...

What's the status for dedicated servers making it into the game for console users ? - i've mentioned it way back that SMS could look in the direction DICE went with Battlefield4 and now BF1 for renting servers...

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by BulletEyeDK View Post
    @Ian Bell
    I read somewhere that pCARS2 for PC will have some kind of race result export for use for ex. league admins... Since im on console this caught my attention, as this feature would be awesome, maybe export options for console user could be via UDP ? we saw with pCARS1 that there is a lot of really great app developers out there....

Could you shed any light on the possibilities for a feature of this kind ? could be really cool with a pCARS2 api for extracting this type of information, maybe SMS could store all the needed information for a shorter period of time (24 hours or a couple of days) - just so the league admin could have enough time to extract the information for use...

What's the status for dedicated servers making it into the game for console users ? - i've mentioned it way back that SMS could look in the direction DICE went with Battlefield4 and now BF1 for renting servers...
    It will. http://www.projectcarsgame.com/onlinechampionships.html

I can't give any specifics on anything beyond that and this: http://www.projectcarsgame.com/esports.html
    The following 2 users likes this Post: BulletEyeDK, seb02

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    @Ian Bell - thanks for taking time to answer.... and WOW this is looking simply amazing for us league admins, thanks for the link

GT5 Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    hello Ian, I hope you are fine. Thank you again for taking the time to talk about Project Cars 2. It is a rare practice coming from a studio manager and it is very appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	replays_1_orig.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	138.0 KB 
ID:	236976

I noticed the box below "ShoutCast feed". The fact of writing "Incident on Turn 10" is indeed a coincidence, nothing to do with another studio for example? I liked this trait of humor.
    Can you tell us a bit more about the solo mode: custom championship, career with ability to change date, time, weather ...?, Quick race ...? Will the option mandatory Pitstop be available on solo mode ?

Thanks

Superkart Pilot
    Talking of "polishing what was already there"

Has the issue of changing contrast in cockpit with different FOV and variations with different cars had some attention

I am greatly impressed with what was achieved with Pcars 1 but this was a constant irritation more than it would seem when hopping from one car to another to find either the road and sky 'blown out' to white or visibility very reduced compared to looking out the rear view

It could all be sort of corrected with ingame settings but was time consuming and annoying, with a low "realistic" FOV in an Aston GT3 compared to a BMWZ4 GT3 a lot of lighting change had to be done to make it playable and then changing to open cockpit would require re setting again

I think at default 80 field of view these issues were not so noticeable

hope to see some advances in this area, very much looking forwards to Pcars 2 and happy to see your input here again on the forums

Cheers Dakpilot
    i5 3570k @ 4.46ghz H100i//P8Z77-I-DELUXE//16GB 1600mhz ram//Galax GTX970 4GB EXOC//Samsung evo840 128gbSSD x2//LG 49" 3840 X 2160//Win10 64bit//

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaniceday View Post
    I've waited a long, long time to make this post. I wonder if it'll get any attention. So the league I race at, PRL, dropped pCARS due to the fear of bugs - some legitimate, a lot not, but nonetheless the game got this somewhat unfair reputation and people just didn't want to deal with it anymore. People were afraid of turning on Time and Weather progression for fear of crashing the game, for instance. I always pushed to keep the game, but I wasn't able to keep a positive attitude around the game and everyone migrated to AC or iRacing.

The reason I appreciate the game, and put up with things not quite working 100% correct, is because of how ambitious it was. Weather, single player career, tons of cars on track, etc, etc. And compared to other games, it was a complete experience. AC, for instance, doesn't even have in-menu music - it feels like a beta game.

Regardless, probably due to the vastness of the game, some features just didn't work they way they should have. A few examples -
    - Inters were useless 'cuz when it started raining, no matter intensity, the track would be 100% wet within a lap.
    - FB wet tires worked quite well and would last quite a while in a dry track. And the Medium tires were FASTER than the softs.
    - Clip cup rain tires worked better when cold, and even better when they were worn down to nothing.
    - Navigating menu options was super twitchy - you're hitting down on the dpad, but a tiny glance on left or right would be detected as a full press - so when you're in the pits, it was super easy to accidentally put on wets without noticing when you just wanted to navigate down. So people would pit, and come out with Wet tires, and they would scream out "BUGGGG!!"
    - Single player weather was scripted
    - In single player you couldn't get a new contract offer from a better team in the same championship - and a really strong opponent in one race might be awful in the next race - so you could win championships rather easily just be doing ookay. winning wasn't necessary.

Then there's stuff that other racing sims have done well that pCARS could just do the same way because it works, but it doesn't. Like a pit menu while out on track the way codemasters does it. Or having refueling and changing tires happen at the same time like AC does it. Or the most facepalm thing, the player names while out on track - the text was super tiny b4 so it was useless, so months later they fix it.... by increasing the font size, but it scales up as the cars get closer to you so they look HUGE - again useless. Look at how F12016 does it! Just do it that way, it works! Same font size that fades in and out with distance! jeesh.

So none of these were legitimate bugs, they were design choices, or overlooked design choices, that nonetheless felt like bugs to a lot of people. Then there were the legitimate bugs, being upside down on the grid b4 the race, going to the pits and never being allowed to go out again, the car exploding hitting invisible walls.

So I hope that since there will be so many new features in pCARS2, I sure hope more importantly than the new features, they made sure that existing features worked better.

We'll see....
    Just want to point this one out..... The game's core seemed to be focused around Sportscar racing. In Sportscar racing, most series do not allow refuelling and tire changing at the same time. It's part fo the rule set.

With that said, I know pCARS 1 had multiple disciplines, but I doubt that it would have been possible to change the core mechanics of the game to reflect pit stop rules for each series (someone from SMS please feel free to correct me here).

Even the "almighty iRacing" has some ridiculous NASCAR induced limitations on non-NASCAR cars, such as not being able to adjust certain tuning aspects of GT3s because they cannot be adjusted on NASCAR cars because the core platform originated with NASCAR Racing from Papyrus.
    Last edited by F1_Racer68; 15-02-2017 at 01:28.
    CanAm Virtual Racing League - League President Twitter: @canamvrl @F1_Racer68
    System Specs
    CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 3600X w/Wraith Spire Cooler MoBo - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 16GB 3200 DDR4, Video - Zotac GTX1060 AMP! 6GB DDR5, OS - Win10 Pro 64bit, SSD - Corsair 240GB Force LE, Controller - Fanatec CSW v2.5, CSL Elite LC Pedals, DIY Button Box, G27 Shifter (USB) Monitor - Samsung UN28H4000AF 28" LED x3