Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Handbrake for PC2

Platform
    PC

Handbrake for PC2

So unlike our tarmac only PC1, in PC2 a handbrake will be a must for non-tarmac racing.

Looking at the DirtRally forums, it seems like the only option for a production handbrake is the Fanatec one. However, that one is $180 shipped to my place in the US and A (USB connector included in that price). I don't know about the rest, but paying the same price for 1 button is ridiculous when you consider a good H/Sequential shifter like the TH8A is the same price.

Anybody hear of any Thrustmaster or Logitech handbrakes coming out? Seems like there should be enough business for somebody other than Fanatec to make a standalone handbrake?

Browsing the Dirt forums, it looks like a lot of people are DIYing theirs. Obviously a lot of difference in the finished product across the board...

Another great idea is to use an old flight joystick and just map it as the handbrake. This might be what I try first, unless a reasonably priced (around $100 is max I would pay for 1 button) handbrake comes out. Has anybody done this?

I want to hear what people are planning on doing for handbrakes when PC2 comes out. Lets hear it!

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by ramm21 View Post
    So unlike our tarmac only PC1, in PC2 a handbrake will be a must for non-tarmac racing.

Looking at the DirtRally forums, it seems like the only option for a production handbrake is the Fanatec one. However, that one is $180 shipped to my place in the US and A (USB connector included in that price). I don't know about the rest, but paying the same price for 1 button is ridiculous when you consider a good H/Sequential shifter like the TH8A is the same price.

Anybody hear of any Thrustmaster or Logitech handbrakes coming out? Seems like there should be enough business for somebody other than Fanatec to make a standalone handbrake?

Browsing the Dirt forums, it looks like a lot of people are DIYing theirs. Obviously a lot of difference in the finished product across the board...

Another great idea is to use an old flight joystick and just map it as the handbrake. This might be what I try first, unless a reasonably priced (around $100 is max I would pay for 1 button) handbrake comes out. Has anybody done this?

I want to hear what people are planning on doing for handbrakes when PC2 comes out. Lets hear it!
    Dang it i thought i had finally finished my rig thanks for bursting that bubble....That being said

Derek Spears has some hand breaks too Fanatic isnt the only one out there you just have to look

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/handbrake.html
    Jackie Stewart - "Sometimes you need to ease off in order to go faster"
    Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 5.1GHz, Ram: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64GB DDR4 3600 CL16-19-19-39 1.35V Dual Channel, 64 bit OPS, MSI Nvidia 3070TI Suprim X, MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX Gaming Motherboard, EVGA Supernova 1000 G6, 80 Plus Gold 1000W power supply

Platform
    PC
    Derek's products are quite a bit more than $180 so I doubt that will make him any happier..

To the OP, the brakes are not button based so they are an axis typically (i.e. not necessarily an on/off switch).
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    Derek's products are quite a bit more than $180 so I doubt that will make him any happier..

To the OP, the brakes are not button based so they are an axis typically (i.e. not necessarily an on/off switch).
    could we use the clutch pedal if we use automatic

and my point wasnt over the price it was that fanatic isnt the only one that makes hand brakes
    Intel Core i7-10700K CPU @ 5.1GHz, Ram: G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64GB DDR4 3600 CL16-19-19-39 1.35V Dual Channel, 64 bit OPS, MSI Nvidia 3070TI Suprim X, MSI MPG Z490 GAMING EDGE WIFI ATX Gaming Motherboard, EVGA Supernova 1000 G6, 80 Plus Gold 1000W power supply

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by dault3883 View Post
    could we use the clutch pedal if we use automatic
    You can map it to any button/axis you want in most titles. There will be some adjustment of the handbrake in the cars that support it for pC2 (so that button users aren't completely left out in the cold compared to those using hydraulic handbrakes).
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips
    The following user likes this Post: proterra1

Platform
    PC
    Dang it i thought i had finally finished my rig thanks for bursting that bubble....That being said

Derek Spears has some hand breaks too Fanatic isnt the only one out there you just have to look

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/handbrake.html
    I guess its an option... but its kind of going the other way of my original post. Im looking for a simple, cheap handbrake, not a $425 stick without a cover that my 4 year old would take apart in 2 minutes.

Platform
    PC
    You can map it to any button/axis you want in most titles. There will be some adjustment of the handbrake in the cars that support it for pC2 (so that button users aren't completely left out in the cold compared to those using hydraulic handbrakes).
    but do you believe that the clutch pedal would be a suitable replacement? Im trying to get your opinion on it or as Dale Jr said about Jimmy Elledge "im going to go pick by brother in laws brain" LOL

Platform
    PC
    I guess its an option... but its kind of going the other way of my original post. Im looking for a simple, cheap handbrake, not a $425 stick without a cover that my 4 year old would take apart in 2 minutes.
    if you find something let me know LOL id probably want to buy one too.

Platform
    PC
    So I started rally with DirtRally on PS4. I used different buttons on the wheel, using paddle shifters and first gear as handbrake, etc... everything except for an actual handbrake.
    IMO- Axis is best. On/off is second best. Mapping handbrake to wheel or not using a handbrake at all is by far the worst. Lack of a good handbrake is why I quit playing Dirt...
    In short, I'll happily take an on/off handbrake over not having one.

Platform
    PC
    but do you believe that the clutch pedal would be a suitable replacement? Im trying to get your opinion on it or as Dale Jr said about Jimmy Elledge "im going to go pick by brother in laws brain" LOL
    It's all in what you can get used to... I've been using one of the buttons on my wheel just fine. So yes, you likely can use the clutch pedal as long as you don't need to use the handbrake, real brake and accelerator at the same time.

So I started rally with DirtRally on PS4. I used different buttons on the wheel, using paddle shifters and first gear as handbrake, etc... everything except for an actual handbrake.
    IMO- Axis is best. On/off is second best. Mapping handbrake to wheel or not using a handbrake at all is by far the worst. Lack of a good handbrake is why I quit playing Dirt...
    In short, I'll happily take an on/off handbrake over not having one.
    I'm not saying one is better than the other. I'm just pointing out that you are getting more than an on/off switch with the purchase of a sim handbrake.

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips