Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: PCARS2 handling discussion (wheel and controller)

Platform
    XBOX1 X

PCARS2 handling discussion (wheel and controller)

I know the PCARS2 E3 Inside Sim racing handling review was very positive as well as various people talking about PCARS2 handling from their own experience (Team VVV after the April Rallycross media event for example). However GT Planet doesn't seem to be too impressive about the wheel (might be the G29) and the controller at E3.

I'll post the link here:
    https://www.gtplanet.net/project-car...s-impressions/

Put all handling related questions, comments and videos in this thread as well as there does 't seem to be on yet. Mods if I overlooked it, feel fee to merge my thread to an existing one.
    enjoying the best of both worlds in my living room - XBox One X SE (+ Elite controller) & PS4 Pro (+ GT:Sport DS4)
    Samsung UE65JS8500L 65" 3D 4K HDR SUHD LED TV ~ Denon AVR-X1300W + 4x Canton CD1090, Canton CD1050, Canton Sub600 ~ Apple TV 4K ~ comfy sofa

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    If insideSimRacing and Team VVV think it's good, I wouldn't pay too much mind about what GTPlanet thinks since they aren't focused on sim racing. I do hope they include that "counter-steer" assist for the controller, though. I'm quite good with the controller, but even I have trouble counter steering sometimes. That assist does help when using the controller.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: hkraft300, Mr Schumacher

Platform
    XBOX1
    So long story short, GT planet just confirmed I was right, and Team VVV was right. The gamepad handling is still broken. (Or at least not polished enough to be released.)

"Driving the Ferrari at*Algarve, the gamepad felt twitchy and disconnected. Even after a few laps, we*felt uncomfortable and frustrated, constantly making awkward steering adjustments to keep the car on the racing line. It was not fun to play, and we were*ready to put the pad down and move on to the Logitech wheel." - GT planet E3

"I think it's fairly early development as far as controller is concerned. Some of the inputs come across too drastic sometimes, especially mid corner like you can see here. Coming in on the inside of this Aston Martin, I make a little bit of a adjustment and get into a fishtail mid corner." - Team VVV Apr 18, 2017 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sv7V1qNMOO8

Come on guys it's 2017, I though we had things like gamepad controls figured out to the T in like 2008. Twitchy and disconnected is almost the perfect way to describe Pcars 1 right now on my Xbox. I feel like I'm merely offering a vague suggestion on what the car needs to do, but in actual fact it's going to do whatever the heck it wants. And to hear it's not any better on a consumer level racing wheel (Granted it sounds like the wheel may have failed but who knows.) scares me beyond belief. Especially considering this was a GT3 car and they where about the only cars that felt somewhat right on Pcars 1...

I don't know what to think, but I'll tell you this now. I and many others I'm sure are demanding a demo or Beta or at least some way of trying and proving the controls aren't all screwball nearer to release.
    Last edited by snipeme77; 21-06-2017 at 23:50.

As I explained in the comments on the VVV footage, the fishtailing was caused by the TC killing all throttle control as it was coming in for both lateral and longitudinal slip.. this has been corrected and the TC is now way better (as is the SC and ABS) and is now an aid, not a hindrance. So you can basically ignore anything VVV said back in April as it's now no longer relevant (that issue with TC was affecting both gamepad AND wheel users).

I have no idea what the problem was that GT Planet have, and I also have no idea if the 488 they drove has had a final pass on the gamepad settings (which is being handled by none other than Jussi.. who is doing a sterling job)
    I know there will be people who want to wave their cocks about and say how wonderful they are because they can run without any aids on a gamepad.. but you don't need to try and be a hero, they are there to actually help make life easier.

Ryzen R7 3800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite - 16Gig DDR4 (Ballistix Elite 3600) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 860 250G SSD, WD 6T Black, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - Gigabyte GM-M6880X Gaming Mouse - Fanatec CSL Elite + Formula V2 + CSP V3 + SSH Shifter - Windows 10 Pro (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. Ryzen R5 3600X - Asus Prime X570-P - 32G DDR4 (Crucial Ballistix 3200) - EVGA RTX2060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i5-4590S - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad

YouTube channel - My attempt at a PC2 Career - a work in progress! - Trying other other racing content
    The following 7 users likes this Post: breyzipp, Grijo, honespc, Konan, Roger Prynne, Sankyo, VelvetTorpedo

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Al View Post
    As I explained in the comments on the VVV footage, the fishtailing was caused by the TC killing all throttle control as it was coming in for both lateral and longitudinal slip.. this has been corrected and the TC is now way better (as is the SC and ABS) and is now an aid, not a hindrance. So you can basically ignore anything VVV said back in April as it's now no longer relevant (that issue with TC was affecting both gamepad AND wheel users).

I have no idea what the problem was that GT Planet have, and I also have no idea if the 488 they drove has had a final pass on the gamepad settings (which is being handled by none other than Jussi.. who is doing a sterling job)
    I know there will be people who want to wave their cocks about and say how wonderful they are because they can run without any aids on a gamepad.. but you don't need to try and be a hero, they are there to actually help make life easier.

I've got no problem with using driver aids, in pcars I ran with TCS ABS and stability managment and I still have problems driving the cars. Some cars TCS didn't even work, like the V8 supercar.

Whether or not it was the traction control causing the fishtailing on team VVV's video, the fact that gtplanet is having the same problems two months after the fact is worrying, especially when the lead developer''s out telling everyone the controls were fixed on day one. It almost sounds like they had different builds running at E3, most of the press got the good ones but gtplanet got the bad one.

This would be again consistent with the day one edition problems of project Cars 1 on Xbox One like time slowing down when you run a large feel of lmp1 cars at sakkatio. (I think that's how you spell it.) And the fact that there were a lot of glitches that you were never ever able to recreate signals to me that there were multiple versions of the game that got released to the public and they weren't all the same.

Again I can't prove any of this but seeing stuff on the form and my own experiences, I just can't help but worry. Pcars2 is shaping up to be my dream racing game, I fear I might have to wait till pcars 3 before I can have fun playing the game.

Platform
    PC
    GT Planet is the single and only negative or less than stellar feedback we've had from any reviewers running the latest pad code from E3 or elsewhere. The general consensus from the thousands in WMD is that it's great or at least 'dramatically improved' since we tuned it for all cars individually. Team VVV's pad feedback was from a 3 months ago build before the tuning had been started per car...

So, while nothing will ever be perfect for everyone, this is an outlier and you shouldn't worry. I've only been using pad for months now and I think it's ace where I distinctly disliked it, which I openly acknowledged, for pCARS1.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4
    Can someone clarify if we are able to fine tune our gamepad like in Pcars1 or will there only be multiple presets? I always liked that about Pcars1 so I hope it's not changed. I know Pcars1 was a bit of a grind to find that sweet spot but when I found it I couldn't play other racing games on console anymore.
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Bell View Post
    GT Planet is the single and only negative or less than stellar feedback we've had from any reviewers running the latest pad code from E3 or elsewhere. The general consensus from the thousands in WMD is that it's great or at least 'dramatically improved' since we tuned it for all cars individually. Team VVV's pad feedback was from a 3 months ago build before the tuning had been started per car...

So, while nothing will ever be perfect for everyone, this is an outlier and you shouldn't worry. I've only been using pad for months now and I think it's ace where I distinctly disliked it, which I openly acknowledged, for pCARS1.
    Thanks for the reply. The GT Planet E3 experience was indeed inconsistent with everything else I've read up until today about handling. Actually The American's post on the Q&A forum at GT planet made me feel good as he's using the gamepad as well now and he is also a "tapper" he said. Since I played Forza the most myself on my controller I'm also a tapper.

I can already drive some cars in PCARS1 with my XBox controller pretty good, others not so good. But I didn't spend much time tweaking them all individually, they are all either stock or else a recommended tune. So the fact that some work pretty nice already means quite something for me. And since the controller is already vastly improved over PCARS1 I'm confident it will work just fine in PCARS2. It's just that the GT Planet E3 thoughts are not in line with everything else about the handling. Maybe invite them over to redo that Ferrari 488 race on Algarve but maybe on another wheel (since they hint the G29 might be the problem).
    Last edited by breyzipp; 22-06-2017 at 03:49.
    enjoying the best of both worlds in my living room - XBox One X SE (+ Elite controller) & PS4 Pro (+ GT:Sport DS4)
    Samsung UE65JS8500L 65" 3D 4K HDR SUHD LED TV ~ Denon AVR-X1300W + 4x Canton CD1090, Canton CD1050, Canton Sub600 ~ Apple TV 4K ~ comfy sofa

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Dear Ian, some media are not legit (You know That for exemple for sponsoring them). And even if we want to trust You, or at least, trust the quality of the Product, your "words are not enough". Even WMD whovare under NDA cant speak. So, not saying You have something to proove but giving a demo Will ne an enormous push for people confidence. Or not...

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    On the traction control issue in pc1 a user was talking about, and which I didn't know anything about.. then should I disable it for example in GT3 cars, or raising the % or something?. I didn't know It was a hindrance in pc1 and tbh I can not notice it (running between 10-12% setting on GT3 cars). When I disable traction control in GT3 cars they actually become harder to control as expected since these cars seem to depend too much on it, with exceptions like the McLaren and the Corvette.

Could anyone Please explain what to do then or the preferred TC setting for these kind of categories that make use traction control?. Wheel user here, no pad. Better disabled (in the cars that have it) if it's a problem regardless the setting then?
    Last edited by honespc; 22-06-2017 at 04:27.