Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How to: Develop Your Racing Skills

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by lawrencep93 View Post
    I bought PC2 recently, and I noticed I am not very good at sim racing I have the logitech G27, just ABS and TCS on.

Should I drive with stability control on?

I tend to spin in a few corners here and there, but I think from the links by the OP I worked out that I let the back end get too light into corners or lift get on the accelerator too early. Don't seem to have too much of an issue with understeer it's more oversteer and spinning when I try to go fast.

What else would you recommend for a newbie trying to improve. Also should I stick to career mode and drop the AI difficulty?
    I have the G25, and is the same principles as G27. My personal advice, set the accelerator sensitivity to: 0 (zero), or stay here, or fine tune from here and try, the initial push is much more progressive which leads to drastically reducing this behavior. My is set to zero, and I like it for all kind of cars.
    Last edited by Herege; 21-11-2017 at 19:10.
    Grip is a wonderful thing.

Platform
    PC
    Enjoy yourself in Abu Dhabi.
    CPU: Intel Core i9 10900K | Mainboard: MSI Z590 Pro WiFi | RAM: 32GB DDR4-3200 | GPU: Palit RTX 3090 Gaming Pro | HP Reverb G2 | Operating System: Windows 10 Home x64 | Controls: Fanatec DD1 Wheelbase / Forza Motorsport Wheel / Clubsport Pedals V3 / ClubSport Shifter SQ

In case you´re looking for some clean and relaxed online racing with 1+ hrs of racing time, take a look at this: www.malzbierbude.de

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    I'm pretty new to sims, only had my wheel for a couple of months, I'm on the Xbox. Started in the Ginetta Jrs and spent about 12 hours working my way through that series doing lots and lots of practice, struggling to get a handle on the car etc but got there. Moved to the Clio Cup after and it was a bit of a shift at first but given that they're pretty stable as long as you avoid that turn in understeer (which you can catch anyway), that went by pretty quickly. However I'm now in the Group As, driving the BMW (I tried the other two briefly as well), and I've spent two hours on track now in practice on Hockenheim, and I can barely string two fast laps together without spinning. When I do those laps are around 1:43-45 at the best, and I've gradually turned the AI down until it's now at 30 and pole still does 1:42s.

I'll work through the links provided by OP to try to keep improving, but I'm really stuck here. Any general tips for these Group As?

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    What wheel do you use?

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Thrustmaster TMX, I haven't futzed with the settings at all other than to try out the different presets.

Edit: Hmm, I just jumped back on for another crack at it and noticed the setup is called 'loose', turns out there's also a 'stable' preset. It feels like a different car now! Still need to work on it a lot but I can get the power down now without losing the back end.
    Last edited by ModoX; 26-11-2017 at 16:24.
    The following user likes this Post: Konan

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Quote Originally Posted by ModoX View Post
    I'm pretty new to sims, only had my wheel for a couple of months, I'm on the Xbox. Started in the Ginetta Jrs and spent about 12 hours working my way through that series doing lots and lots of practice, struggling to get a handle on the car etc but got there. Moved to the Clio Cup after and it was a bit of a shift at first but given that they're pretty stable as long as you avoid that turn in understeer (which you can catch anyway), that went by pretty quickly. However I'm now in the Group As, driving the BMW (I tried the other two briefly as well), and I've spent two hours on track now in practice on Hockenheim, and I can barely string two fast laps together without spinning. When I do those laps are around 1:43-45 at the best, and I've gradually turned the AI down until it's now at 30 and pole still does 1:42s.

I'll work through the links provided by OP to try to keep improving, but I'm really stuck here. Any general tips for these Group As?
    I'm in the BMW, group A too at the moment. Also spinning a lot, and it's near impossible to catch it in the BMW (I'm on a controller). For qualification, I've often used wet tyres, even if it's dry, as that weirdly gives a lot better grip. It does overheat quickly though, so it seldom works in races (unless it's raining of course).
    Try the Race Engineer. He can help with stuff like anti-roll bar, springs etc (greek to me, I'm no tuner). And I've had some success changing power ramp and coast ramp in Clutch LSD section (I think).

Otherwise see if you can load a ghost time, and study it to see where you can gain time.

A bit frustrating at times, but overall a fun car!

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Well good luck to you too! I'd recommend switching to that stable setup. I parked it 6th on the grid on Hockenheim and it was a wet race - only two spins through the whole race (that was late on when I was pushing for a fast lap for fun), and I finished three minutes ahead of second place. I'm obviously going to turn up the AI again, there seems an even larger than usual discrepancy between the qualifying and race times. It's odd because the top practice time barely changed between 55 AI and 30.

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    The stable setup is automatically chosen as default if you use the controller. On a wheel it is the loose setup that is default.
    Put the engine breaking at max, it will help with the spinning in the curves!
    Also try reducing the turbo boost if possible(depends on the car).

Platform
    XBOX1 X
    Thanks! Yes, AI is really slow in the rain. And wet tyres have really good grip. I think that the "imminent" patch will change that, and tweak AI overall.

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    I must admit I stumbled apon the wet tires thing too. It gives you unbelievably more grip in the dry, at least until they get to hot. IMO this is in general a controller problem, I just got a wheel 2 days ago and it is so much easier to not spin. And if you lose control you can catch the car easier then on a controller. Plus the fun factor.
    But it takes a couple of hours getting used to.