Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rain and Puddles - problem / bug

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro

Rain and Puddles - problem / bug

Hey there, i am testing the wet track experience for some hours now and there is something very wrong with it. I have played with two Porsche-s - 911 RS and the GT3 24H edition. The track that i tested most was Donington Park GP.
    The normal Porsche is totally undriveable in rain. The surface is like ice. With normal "RAIN" it so slippery, even after the tires are warmer, that you cannot take any corner with more that 60kmh. With the GT3 version, there is no problem staying on the track and pushing the limit of the car. But this is not right. Even my Opel Astra can take a corner with more than 80km/h and not slide like crazy.
    The puddle situation is even worse. They are 100% slippery, and even driving with 30km/h trough them you are aquaplaning and the car just goes straight. The FFB is totally lost, like you are on ice. If you go trough the puddle you get literally killed, but there is no problem driving trough the wet grass and mud outside the track, where you can take the corner with little to no problems with a greater speed.

Ether this is the next bug in this game, and a serious one, or it is really intended to be so ? This is highly unrealistic .... a track, rain tires, somewhat race compound and you are dancing like crazy with little to no speed and gentle force on the acceleration pedal??
    Last edited by porkovich; 07-10-2017 at 18:10.

Platform
    XBOX1
    Similar problems on Xbox. I did a 20 lap race around Brno in the Super Trofeo that went from evening into night, random weather, and it was basically pouring rain the entire time. Toward the end of the race, the puddle coming around the final corner had gotten so big, it was literally the size of a small lake. It didn't matter how much I slowed down before getting to it, and even being completely off throttle with zero steering input, I'd hit it and completely skate across the track like I was on ice. Yet the AI were able to zip through like it was a dry track. I actually lost the race because of this...literally every time I hit that section and turned into the start/finish straight, I'd lose control and had to slow down so much, only to watch the AI fly on past while I tumbled down the order.

And road cars in the wet? So far I've only driven a few, but let's just say my experience hasn't been particularly enjoyable. I understand that they're going to be difficult due to not having dedicated wet weather racing tires, but it's a struggle just to keep the car on the road most times...even in a straight line, the car wants to buck and dart all over the place like a spooked horse. I can barely complete a lap in most cases, nevermind being competitive. Then the fact that the AI doesn't seem to be affected in a similar way only makes the frustration worse.

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    The tunnel at Monaco in heavy rain becomes a lake

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    The rain is awful, the AI are zipping around and I can't keep the car going straight for the life of me, regardless of my settings.

Platform
    PS4
    All this talk of driving on ice...

Maybe you should try the Mercedes track

PS: avoid the puddles. Get the wet tires on (automatic by weather I've seen always works for me but I don't entirely trust it).

Also, drive hard, get some heat in the tires. How many AI do you have on track?
    Got a screenshot of your telemetry screen in a wet race?
    Last edited by hkraft300; 08-10-2017 at 02:29.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I've had the same problem in career mode racing GT5 at Silverstone. Tons of big puddles down a particular straight, with all the A.I. cruising through just fine. Very frustrating. In a later race at Brands Hatch I had problems with the tires which were supposed to be automatic by weather. Started the race on wet tires in sunny weather. This made me wonder if my car in Silverstone started on slicks, although that race did start in the rain. Are you sure you had on wet tires even though the game was set to automatic tires?
    Last edited by SpeedyMcQuick; 08-10-2017 at 04:09.

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    The Supercars guys at Bathurst today might have something to say about how slippery driving in the rain can get.

Platform
    PS4
    I was in a wet race driving the KTM X-Bow R, and I realized that the lowest grade of tire works best when wet. For road cars there generally isn't a tire that is called "Wet", but the track tires don't work as well as the regular road tires. For the X-Bow, the options for tires are "Semi-slick", "Track", and "Summer". In the wet you get by far the most grip with the Summers. With the Summer tires on, the X-Bow is decently grippy, and quite comfortable to control. So it could just be a tire thing. Try all of the other tires and see if they all have no grip.

I know what you mean about the standing water though. I honestly don't know if what happens when you drive through them is realistic behavior, but they are quite tricky. I've never tried driving through them really slowly, but if I have to drive through a big one and it's unavoidable, I just try not to be on a lot of throttle and hope for the best.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: hkraft300, OldTymeHockey

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Awong124 View Post
    I know what you mean about the standing water though. I honestly don't know if what happens when you drive through them is realistic behavior, but they are quite tricky. I've never tried driving through them really slowly, but if I have to drive through a big one and it's unavoidable, I just try not to be on a lot of throttle and hope for the best.
    In a real car, not a sport one, driving with 80km/h trough a deep puddle can result in aquaplaning, but most of the time you are massively slowed down, especially with winter tires on. The feeling is there even with normal summer tires, but most of the time you are slowed down. The car can be controlled felt or right, to certain degree, but it's not like you cross your fingers and goes trough. Here the FFB gets super lite, and this means no grip at all. There is no difference when you go trough it i lap 1 or lap 5, so on puddles you lose 100% grip, every time... ?

PS: i will check the tire setup, it really can be a problem with Auto.

Banned
    Platform
    PS4
    If anyone watched the Supercars race at Bathurst today they would realise what happens in PC2 is possible, it is at the extreme but not exactly unrealistic. Those guys at Bathurst today spoke of how tricky and slippery the conditions were. They talked about those conditions being the most difficult conditions they had ever raced in and talked about how at some points they were doing road car speeds not race car speeds and struggling. And as a testament to those statements the number of drivers who spun or went off completely unexpectedly was also unprecedented I think.

The rain wasn't very heavy and that was a large contributor. They had perfect conditions up until that point, there was incredible rubber build up on the track so when it started to rain there was no grip at all on the racing line. What doesn't help when you first get moderate rain is how the oils in the road are pushed to the surface making it even more slippery. Some drivers today described it like driving on ice. It took some of them a long time to realise the grip is off the racing line because they never really got rain heavy enough to wash the track clean.

Tire pressure management became critical because at first they didn't have enough pressure and their tyres were not getting into the working temperature range which just made the grip situation worse.

That's all realistic because we saw it happen today in real life but it is an extreme example. These are Australia's best race drivers and many were saying they had not experienced anything like this before. It was actually a little frustrating to watch considering at no point did the commentary understand what was happening or why it was happening and much of the commentary team are made up of former race drivers.

What we saw today
    No grip in the rain
    Drivers describing it like driving on ice
    Drivers hitting standing water and going off track

It's an extreme example but it is realistic.