Thread: DualShock 4 Motion Steering

Rookie
    Platform
    PS4

DualShock 4 Motion Steering

I’ve been using motion steering lately with the PS4 controller. After playing the GT Sport demo, motion steering in that is excellent and it feels instant between tilting your hands in real life and the driver in-game turning the wheel at the same speed, mirroring what your hands are doing.

Driveclub also did the motion tilt steering really well (there’s YouTube vids showing this).

It has advantages too over using the analog stick because it means you’ve always got access to the full range of steering regardless of your speed (ie. it’s impossible to drive on speed sensitivity = 0 with the analogue stock) and it’s a lot easier to have finesse vs. using an analog stick with only a few mm of travel. I’m finding in these games it’s noticeably easier to correct slides, drift, as an example. Overall it’s more akin to using a wheel.

The issue is, in PCars2 right now there’s a ~0.5sec delay or the input from the tilt sensor has a speed limit on how fast you can turn the wheel which makes it feel laggy and unpredictable (even with controller damping set to 0, and regardless of what speed sensitivity you have).

If the devs were able to get the tilt steering working without that lag in Pcars2, could be a game changer.

Cheers
    Last edited by Blindside92; 11-10-2017 at 15:52. Reason: Added a bit more info
    The following 2 users likes this Post: JasperBowels, Jocky

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    I know your pain. Been using tiltmotion controls since i simply couldnt stand left analog stick and suffer same problem. there seems to be a little latency between left-right inputs, i mean the hands in game do the same exact thing than my hands, but with a little delay. cheers!

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Hi. I love motion sensor for racing games and I can confirm that pCars 2 suffers input lag while steering using motion sensor in DS4. I hope they fix it soon

Rookie
    Platform
    PS4 Pro

Motion Steering for Project Cars 2

Hi might be a real rookie question but how do I setup up motion steering on Project Cars 2

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay680 View Post
    Hi might be a real rookie question but how do I setup up motion steering on Project Cars 2
    when you're assigning the buttons in the control menu, tilt left and right for the options of steering left and right

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Is the lag still present? / Is it enough to break the experience? I suppose one can get used to it...

Rookie
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyluca View Post
    Is the lag still present? / Is it enough to break the experience? I suppose one can get used to it...
    Thanks for the heads up, it's still there but it's better than toggle steering