Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Possibly nooby tire pressure question

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

Possibly nooby tire pressure question

Hi everyone

First post! I'm pretty much just starting out in car sims after basically not playing many since Gran Turismo 4 was new... liking PC2 for its realism and range of cars, as well as flexibility in set ups. The thing I'm not quite getting though is how to know your tire temps. I know the basics regarding how to tune around them wrt camber, caster, toe and nominal pressures, however the issue is that every time I am in practice or any race mode and I get a few laps in to bring the tires to the temps the current settings get them to, I go back to the pits to adjust and it has reset the tire temps to fresh and cold and it won't tell me what they were. It just displays 80/80/80 or whatever the temp is for that race. The little HUD display shows me the pressures as a whole so I can see which tires are warming up more than others so I can see grip loading per corner, but I can't really see how to optimise the other settings to make use of full mechanical grip across the tire as those temps get thrown out.

I am on a PC, running through Steam and it tells me it is up to date and no updates are pending so I'm not sure if there is a glitch and patch needed, or if I have a setting wrong or something?

Thanks in advance!

Platform
    PC
    I think one of the HUDs has the detailed tire temp info. It takes up your entire screen though, so maybe use it just before going into the pits. Map a button to cycle through the HUDs so you can quickly glance at it and get rid of it.
    Steam name: z1nonly YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Z1NONLY/featured Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/z1nonly172
    5800X / RTX 3080 Ti / 32gb DDR4 @3600 C15 / HP Reverb Pro / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
    I think one of the HUDs has the detailed tire temp info. It takes up your entire screen though, so maybe use it just before going into the pits. Map a button to cycle through the HUDs so you can quickly glance at it and get rid of it.
    HI Twinz, thanks for your response.

I looked through the HUDS and made the one that shows the tire pressure "full" instead of "minimal" and it did show more, but not tire temps. Am I looking at the right HUD? Is there a way to fix that issue where the tuning set up in the pit resets your tire temps? I'm pretty sure it is a bug as it starts at 26/26/26 when you first start the practice session which is what you would expect, then after driving it and getting heat in, it changes to 80/80/80 (on formula F5 which is what I'm driving now anyway) but when you get back on the track, the tires are blue and cold according to the HUD, as if they were brand new on the car. If they were uniform at 80c, I wouldn't think they would be blue any more! Has anyone else come across this issue? Unless I'm looking at it wrong, I can't really tune pressures or geometry without knowing those temps... or can I?

Platform
    PC
    A few things. Some cars support tire warmers, some cars do not. Race cars that are designed for amateur level racing typically do not support tire warmers so at the start of a practice session, they will be cold. However, at the start of any "race" session, all cars will start with warm tires.

Here's a visual just to make sure you are looking at the right screen (for Telemetry):

https://youtu.be/ziaDnA4ud-o?t=262
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    A few things. Some cars support tire warmers, some cars do not. Race cars that are designed for amateur level racing typically do not support tire warmers so at the start of a practice session, they will be cold. However, at the start of any "race" session, all cars will start with warm tires.

Here's a visual just to make sure you are looking at the right screen (for Telemetry):
    That is most definitely not what I have on my HUD! How do I get this display up?

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Satus Post View Post
    That is most definitely not what I have on my HUD! How do I get this display up?
    If you start in the same video around 5:50, he shows you which assignment you need to toggle it.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    If you start in the same video around 5:50, he shows you which assignment you need to toggle it.
    That is awesome! I'll try that when I'm on the game next and hopefully that resolves it for me! Do you still have the same thing happen as what I'm describing when I go back into the pits during qualifying or practice and it's showing the temperature as uniform? Is that normal or a bug?

Platform
    PC
    Honestly, I've never looked. I set my tires up for how they race and never pay attention outside of that.

However, if the crew changes your tires or you go into the garage then yes they will be uniform across the tire. Without actually seeing what you are doing when entering the pits, it's hard to say if what you are experiencing is expected or not.

If you want to make a video to point out what you are seeing, that would help make sure we are providing the right feedback for your situation.

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Honestly, I've never looked. I set my tires up for how they race and never pay attention outside of that.

However, if the crew changes your tires or you go into the garage then yes they will be uniform across the tire. Without actually seeing what you are doing when entering the pits, it's hard to say if what you are experiencing is expected or not.

If you want to make a video to point out what you are seeing, that would help make sure we are providing the right feedback for your situation.
    Thanks so much for that telemetry tip! Wow, it is great to see the figures live like that!!! This is a great game! I was able to adjust my temps better like that and produced a much more balanced car out of it. I'm still quite new so I'm going for a balanced car that is easy to drive fast, even though a slightly twitchy car can be theoretically faster (I'll spin out too often at this stage haha).

I"ve taken a screenshot of what I am seeing but I can't see how to upload it without a link and I can't post links yet as I am too new. I am convinced it is a bug as the telemetry is showing me around 40c for the tires (closer to 50 on a hot day), but when I pit, it is howing 80. 80 is a bit crazy for a tire, it would be on its way to melting, if not already there! My guess is there is a glitch and it is showing cold fahrenheit as 80F is roughly 26c. I have set everything to metric so that is clearly an issue. Does anyone know if there is a ptach for this?

Platform
    PC
    I'm not exactly sure what you are seeing, but support ended for this title in 2018. What you have is what you have...

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips