Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [HELP] Quick tyre temp/pressure question (Telemetry screenshot included)

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Question [HELP] Quick tyre temp/pressure question (Telemetry screenshot included)

I'm new to Project Cars 2, I had Project Cars 1, Forza 2 & 3 and still have Assetto Corsa so I'm not a total noob, but I'm in a battle with a friend of mine for a #1 Hot Lap Leaderboard position (we keep stealing it from eachother every other day) so I'm working on my car setup a bit more and could do with a bit of help with the tyres. So far I've tweaked the camber to get a pretty even tyre temp across the width of all the tyres as that makes sense to me (correct me if I'm wrong please), so now my main issue is knowing what I should be aiming for here, do I aim for a specific temp (which means pressure is all different) or do I aim for a specific pressure (which means temperature is all different)?

My gut tells me I should be aiming for a specific temp, so if that's the case what temp? (Car and track detail below) And also as you can see me right side tyres are a lot cooler than my left tyres so I tried upping the pressure in those (this I probably the wrong thing to do but seemed right at the time because as I added pressure the temps started to rise) but I've got to a point where the middle of the tyre is getting hotter than the outsides (which makes perfect sense) so how can I get heat into the left tyres so they match the right tyres?

I'm not looking for pages and pages of technical data sheets, just a quick rough insight into what I'm supposed to be aiming for and how to start to achieve it

Car - Mini Countryman RX
    Tyres - 'Dry' (No slicks available on this car as far as I can see)
    Track - Donington National
    Track Condition - Ambient 83F - Surface 116F - Medium Cloud (These are the permanent settings for Hot Lap mode)

Yes its a Rally Cross car on a tarmac circuit but its fun once you start to develop a tarmac setup for it.

Last edited by Ripgroove; 18-08-2021 at 15:13.

Platform
    PC
    Hey, mostly you could try for even pressures. https://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...Tyre-Pressures

Don't worry as much about temps as you are not running many laps. It's an older game, try to balance the pressures, the newer game doesn't have temps and pressures to worry about, grip is mostly the same. With your pressures jacked up on the right it might make turn in more difficult since you are mostly making right turns at speed.

From your screenshot it looks like your left tires are higher temp than your right to me, which is fine. Once you get the pressures more balanced there might be a bigger Delta in temps.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pCARS2 2021-08-18 13-52-17-52.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	111.5 KB 
ID:	284987
    Last edited by blinkngone; 18-08-2021 at 17:53.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkngone View Post
    Hey, mostly you could try for even pressures. https://forum.projectcarsgame.com/sh...Tyre-Pressures

Don't worry as much about temps as you are not running many laps. It's an older game, the newer game doesn't have temps and pressures.
    So, if I go for even pressures then I end up with hot tyres on one side of the car and cold on the other, that can't be right surely? And I actually do do a lot of laps when chasing a leaderboard time, sometimes I lap for 2hrs straight.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkngone View Post
    the newer game doesn't have temps and pressures to worry about
    Exactly one of the reasons I don't have it and stick to AC and PCars2.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripgroove View Post
    So, if I go for even pressures then I end up with hot tyres on one side of the car and cold on the other, that can't be right surely? And I actually do do a lot of laps when chasing a leaderboard time, sometimes I lap for 2hrs straight.
    Ok. But maybe you shouldn't do that many laps in TT, just a few then restart.
    Keep in mind this from Casey, "Any MotorTrend readers will know how much they stop every few laps and bleed pressure to hold that target during the BDC tests."

Here are some of your setup pages. Your Brake Ducts are at 80% most people close these more to get ideal pressure within a couple of laps.
    Attachment 284988
    Most people reduce the radiator opening for short TT runs.
    Attachment 284989
    Last edited by blinkngone; 18-08-2021 at 18:15.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I work much better when I do a lot of laps in a row, I need to get into a zone so I always set my car's up on previous games so they are race ready after they are completely warm. I tried closing ducts and all that but the tyres have barely warmed up and the engine goes bang lol. I've had a fair few #1 LB positions in the past so I know my methodology checks out, I just need a few pointers on how this specific game reacts to tyre and suspension tuning so I can fine tune some of my car's that I think have the potential to be at the top of the boards.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I will try a tune with equalised tyre pressures and see what it's like but I don't like the idea of cold tyres on different corners of the car.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I will try a tune with equalised tyre pressures and see what it's like but I don't like the idea of cold tyres on different corners of the car.

Platform
    PC
    Well first off, you are running a rallycross car on a tarmac course. The tires are designed for 5-6 lap races on mixed surface tracks which are typically .5 to 1 miles long. With that, you are asking a lot of the tires doing something they aren't designed for.. Second, some tracks will work one side harder than the other. That's just the nature of the track (Barcelona is another one).

Typically, lower tire pressures will create more heat (because lower tire pressures create more friction). However, more friction means they are also slowing the car down a bit. There is no easy tweak. It's doubtful you'll get all 4 tires even for that car on that track. You can try some asymmetric suspension changes but I doubt it would be worth it.

Also, the even tire temp thing.... You typically want the inside tire warmer than the middle, and then the middle warmer than the outside. Unless you are an F1 car, you won't use the outer tire that much. The inner is used a lot and should be hotter. I remember seeing a racer's quote one time and he said if your inside tire temp isn't hotter than your center or outer, then you are losing.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Platform
    PC
    I work much better when I do a lot of laps in a row, I need to get into a zone so I always set my car's up on previous games so they are race ready after they are completely warm. I tried closing ducts and all that but the tyres have barely warmed up and the engine goes bang lol. I've had a fair few #1 LB positions in the past so I know my methodology checks out, I just need a few pointers on how this specific game reacts to tyre and suspension tuning so I can fine tune some of my car's that I think have the potential to be at the top of the boards.
    I think in TT you do get tire wear, ben a few years though. You can't turn Engine Damage off.

Yeah, I checked your LB. You have 9 runs and the WR with Focus RX, good.

No need to torture yourself to get the pressures exact, probably won't happen. Definitely don't think your 40 PSI inside tire pressures are a good idea though.
    Last edited by blinkngone; 18-08-2021 at 18:47.