Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BMW M3 GT4 car feels broken, can setup fix it?

WMD Member

BMW M3 GT4 car feels broken, can setup fix it?

So this car I do not understand.

Every other car when you come into a corner with a little too much speed you get understeer. Which is what I want. If I push too hard I want the front end to wash away.

With this car when I turn in, if I have too much speed I just flip ends. It's not even trail braking I can get to neutral throttle holding a line through a longer corner and if I dial in a little more steering angle, poof spin. It also tends to snap oversteer with too much throttle on exit, but at least with that I have a point of reference trying to modulate the throttle a little better.

I've tried maxing out the front springs, stiffen up the front ARB, removing the rear ARB, recalced the shocks with Jussi's calculator. This thing still feels like it's trying to kill me and I don't understand why.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by sotti View Post
    So this car I do not understand.

Every other car when you come into a corner with a little too much speed you get understeer. Which is what I want. If I push too hard I want the front end to wash away.

With this car when I turn in, if I have too much speed I just flip ends. It's not even trail braking I can get to neutral throttle holding a line through a longer corner and if I dial in a little more steering angle, poof spin. It also tends to snap oversteer with too much throttle on exit, but at least with that I have a point of reference trying to modulate the throttle a little better.

I've tried maxing out the front springs, stiffen up the front ARB, removing the rear ARB, recalced the shocks with Jussi's calculator. This thing still feels like it's trying to kill me and I don't understand why.
    Hey, you are not showing what platform you are on but I am assuming you are on console. Start with the Default Stable setup and make the changes to the LSD I have in this screenshot.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pCARS2 2018-12-18 17-06-50-12.jpg 
Views:	7 
Size:	239.7 KB 
ID:	262995
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

WMD Member
    I'll give that a whirl, thank you.

Didn't know that platform mattered, but I am on PC using a Fanatec CSWv2.5. I've tried both the RAW FFB as well as the Jack Spade custom FFB. Both feel similar in regards to the issue I'm facing.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by sotti View Post
    I'll give that a whirl, thank you.

Didn't know that platform mattered, but I am on PC using a Fanatec CSWv2.5. I've tried both the RAW FFB as well as the Jack Spade custom FFB. Both feel similar in regards to the issue I'm facing.
    Ok, since you are on PC have you already tried the setups other people use for this car in Time Trial? That LSD I gave you is for lessening the oversteer on corner exit.

I have the same wheel as you with the V3 pedals. Normally you should be using Default Loose with a wheel but since you seemed to have more than 1 issue I suggested starting with Default Stable. You can use the same LSD settings on Default Loose.
    Last edited by blinkngone; 18-12-2018 at 22:42.
    Bikes wrecked-77 Suzuki RM125, 78 Honda Elsinore 250, 81 Honda CB900F, 2000 Kawsaki ZX12R(2), 2001 Honda F4I, 2005 Yamaha R1. A bike hasn't been made I couldn't wreck, spectacularly, but I'm retired now.

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    I am not sure if I understood correctly, are you getting oversteer also on corner entry? If yes, I think it's when downshifting, right? Try putting the engine braking to 10, also give it some throttle while downshifting (it's an H-pattern shift car), or just use auto clutch on. For during the corner, I think blink's suggestion will do and of course as you said you need to modulate the throttle.

As for why this car is different to other GT4, that's because if I am not mistaken, it's a front engined car, so much weight in the front side, not so much in the rear, so it is easier for the rear tires to break loose..

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    I am not sure if I understood correctly, are you getting oversteer also on corner entry? If yes, I think it's when downshifting, right? Try putting the engine braking to 10, also give it some throttle while downshifting (it's an H-pattern shift car), or just use auto clutch on. For during the corner, I think blink's suggestion will do and of course as you said you need to modulate the throttle.

As for why this car is different to other GT4, that's because if I am not mistaken, it's a front engined car, so much weight in the front side, not so much in the rear, so it is easier for the rear tires to break loose..
    In GT4 the only rear engine cars are the Cayman and X-Bow. You didn't drive it back when we running GT4s in the beginning at SilNat, I drove it once. Default Loose Engine Braking is at 5, 7 for Stable, it can go to 10 as you suggested. Using Default jammerjoh has a good recent run with it.

Banned
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by blinkngone View Post
    In GT4 the only rear engine cars are the Cayman and X-Bow.
    Oops, good point
    Thx, had not realized that.

Edit: I just run it now, I see what you guys mean about power oversteer, it's massive. Higher Power Ramp should take care of it indeed.

Edit2: Nah, put it to 90 degrees, but did not make a noticeable difference. But then I additionally lowered the rear height to minimum, and that has helped, made the rear much more predictable. @sotti, give this a try, change rear ride height to minimum, it should help a bit.
    Last edited by cpcdem; 19-12-2018 at 02:17.

Platform
    PC
    You could also soften the rear as much as possible (ARB and springs) and then stiffen the front to get the understeer back.
    Ryzen 5 2600x | Arctic Freezer 33 Plus | Gigabyte X470 AORUS Ultra Gaming | GIGABYTE GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6G | 16GB G.SKILL RIPJAWS V 3200 | Fanatec CSL Elite Wheel Base + CSL Elite McLaren GT3 + Fanatec Clubsport V3 Pedals | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter - Windows 10 x64

Member of Revolution Sim Racing

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Shepard2603 View Post
    You could also soften the rear as much as possible (ARB and springs) and then stiffen the front to get the understeer back.
    The M3 GT4's default setups are already very US biased, suspension wise.
    I wouldn't recommend to unbalance that even more to get rid of issues that are rooted somewhere else.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 10700KF@Stock + UV | GPU ASUS TUF RTX3080 Gaming OC 10GB 1920MHz@900mV | RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | MB MSI Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | SSD 1 1000GB Patriot VPN100 M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVME | SSD 2 1000GB Samsung 860-EVO | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Monitor Iiyama 34" Ultrawide Curved 3440x1440 | Wheel Fanatec CSW 2.5 + Clubsport Formula V2 + CSL Elite Steering Wheel WRC | Pedals Fanatec CSL Elite LC
    Second Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27

STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Oops, good point
    Thx, had not realized that.

Edit: I just run it now, I see what you guys mean about power oversteer, it's massive. Higher Power Ramp should take care of it indeed.

Edit2: Nah, put it to 90 degrees, but did not make a noticeable difference. But then I additionally lowered the rear height to minimum, and that has helped, made the rear much more predictable. @sotti, give this a try, change rear ride height to minimum, it should help a bit.
    Hey, lowering the rear would make the setup similar to the 320 TC which you used to race a while back. Good run with your adjustments.
    320 TC ride height.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	pCARS2 2018-12-19 05-38-53-37.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	188.4 KB 
ID:	262999
    The following user likes this Post: cpcdem