Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Merry Christmas, your gift, another FPS thread!!!

Platform
    PC

Merry Christmas, your gift, another FPS thread!!!

Merry Christmas guys. After playing PC2 for a few weeks now (oculus Rift)and having a great experience, smooth play, no stutters, silky smooth operation i assumed the FPS would be very close to 90. Last night i tried 3 different FPS monitors (steam,GE Force,oculus debug) and it shows locked solid on 45FPS. I can crank up all the settings, game still runs smooth, night time, lots of cars, my machine handles it great, but still a solid 45. I can open with Steam or Oculus, same results.

I spent hours searching threads and it seems a fair amount of ppl have this issue and a fair amount don't. A few ppl say a steady 90 is not possible in this game and some say they have it. Some ppl say steamvr locks at 45FPS etc etc......i am getting more answers than i have questions!!

I did find this suggestion, go into steamvr/settings/performance , un click "allow interleaved reproduction" , but in the newer versions of steam(maybe beta) there is no longer a performance tab and reproduction is on by default and i can't find a way to change that.

I built my set up with solely VR play in mind, so i just got a cheap 60HZ monitor, i came across a thread that said the FPS displayed could be for the monitor and not representative of FPS in the oculus. Also, i can't get the FPS to display in oculus, it only shows on the monitor unless i use debug tool, which still shows 45FPS in the headset.

My machine is totally capable,Alienware with I7-8700,GTX1080TI plenty of ram and memory. Like i said, i am totally pleased with the performance,smooth as silk!!! But seeing this 45FPS has sent me into a rabbit hole, trying to get it the absolute best it can be.

Even though i am pleased with the gameplay i would really like some answers on this, give me a nice Christmas gift guys!!!!!

Thanks in advance, Merry Christmas!!
    Last edited by supremedk; 25-12-2018 at 17:12.

Platform
    PC
    If you want to see the actual FPS in the Oculus Rift you have to use the Oculus debug tool.

https://developer.oculus.com/documen...dg-debug-tool/

If you have Oculus ASW forced ON it will limit the FPS to 45fps, you have to set it to auto, meaning only kick in when the FPS drops below 90. Steam also has a similar thing called motion smoothing in Steam VR, make sure that is also not forced ON and set to auto like Oculus ASW.

Not sure what your settings are but you may also need to turn down your graphics settings to get 90fps. In my experience, even a 1080Ti can't run the game in VR with all the settings maxed out.
    What line?
    PC: Ryzen7 5800x 3D, RTX 4090, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD HD, Oculus Rift, Vive Pro, HP Reverb G2
    Wheel/Pedal: Fanatec Clubsport wheel, pedal, shifter and handbrake
    Next Level Racing Motion V3/Traction+

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya View Post
    If you want to see the actual FPS in the Oculus Rift you have to use the Oculus debug tool.

https://developer.oculus.com/documen...dg-debug-tool/

If you have Oculus ASW forced ON it will limit the FPS to 45fps, you have to set it to auto, meaning only kick in when the FPS drops below 90. Steam also has a similar thing called motion smoothing in Steam VR, make sure that is also not forced ON and set to auto like Oculus ASW.

Not sure what your settings are but you may also need to turn down your graphics settings to get 90fps. In my experience, even a 1080Ti can't run the game in VR with all the settings maxed out.

ASW on auto, no change. I tried that last night. And yes, I understand settings on high is taxing on a system, my point was I can have everything high, everything low or anyplace in between and 45FPS locked.

I would assume a game running at 45FPS would be at minimum somewhat choppy, mine is running, as mentioned above very smooth in all conditions.

Platform
    PC
    Have you checked Steam VR for motion smoothing setting? It has the same effect as ASW.
    What line?
    PC: Ryzen7 5800x 3D, RTX 4090, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD HD, Oculus Rift, Vive Pro, HP Reverb G2

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by DaWorstPlaya View Post
    Have you checked Steam VR for motion smoothing setting? It has the same effect as ASW.
    I have, same result. I just did a night race at Red Bull ring, 15 cars not even a hint of stutter, smooth as anything. I am really happy with how the game runs so I am Going to stop stressing about this. I will try any recommendations, until then I guess “it is what it is”.

edit:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6102.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	263085

since I was going to only play in VR I got the cheapest thing I could find in a decent size, (which is 60hz)thinking it wouldn't really matter. the game working well but the monitor showing 45FPS makes sense with the above info.
    Last edited by supremedk; 26-12-2018 at 00:18.

Platform
    PC
    I don't think that is correct. I have 60Hz monitors and am able to get 90fps on the Rift and HTC Vive Pro. It's gotta be a setting somewhere that you might have clicked by mistake. You can turn OFF ASW using the Oculus Debug tool and launch PCars 2 directly from Oculus home bypassing Steam. Or launch it from Steam (just don't turn ON Steam VR), right click on the game and launch in Oculus VR mode.

Then look at the FPS on the VR overlay while the game is running.

However, if you are happy with the 45fps then don't sweat the details.
    What line?

Platform
    PC
    well darn!!! I usually launch from steam in oculuc vr mode, I tried steam vr mode but haven't tried launching directly from oculus, I guess that's next. sooner or later I will stumble across something, my machine is capable of more than 45.

Platform
    PC
    Well, For whatever reason the ASW disable is working
    Today. With it off I can hold 90fps below 1.5SS, 1.5 it will drop into the 80’s and with ASW on auto
    It will activate and go to the default 45.

I think I may prefer running the ASW on auto with 1.5ss as I have better clarity and the game runs
    Smooth glitch free.

Next issue, low performance headroom, even going negative at times. Trying lower settings
    Including SS helps a little but not much. Any ideas??

Platform
    PC
    Yes try lowering visual settings. Based on your system specs you're probably running out of GPU 3D compute resource. Most likely you are running some sort of MSAA/PostAA with SS. I would lower MSAA/PostAA before touching the SS setting. SS is better for visuals than MSAA/PostAA. Honestly if you are running SS 1.5, you don't need MSAA/PostAA, I turn both those OFF.

You can use task manager on Windows 10 to look at your GPU usage too.
    What line?

Platform
    PC
    Prior to building my setup (nov)I was just a casual computer user, 90% computer
    Illiterate. I knew very basic things. At this point I actually get as much enjoyment learning
    All the ins and outs of the machine and
    Other hardware/software as I do playing the game, I have learned so much!!!

I appreciate the help, thanks!!
    The following user likes this Post: DaWorstPlaya