Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Gift and The Curse Pt: 2 Tales from the Night

Platform
    XBOX1

The Gift and The Curse Pt: 2 Tales from the Night

Introduction: The Gift and The Curse

Whats going on guys. This thread is simply about PCars2 Public Multiplayer. Its a lot of guys that want to play in public multiplayer and they dont know how to find the good rooms and good Lobby Leaders to race with. This is because the public multiplayer system and community is like the rest of PCars 2 quite complex.

Two games changed my video game trajectory a long time ago now and those 2 games were G.R.A.W. and Nascar 09 on the Xbox 360. The reason these 2 games are important to this discussion regarding PCars 2 is because both games multiplayer infrastructure was P2P. These 2 games changed me into a Multiplayer only guy a long time ago.

I am a Professional Driver. No I do not drive race cars. I get to race the Truck everyday. I drive for UPS and I have 20 years of experience driving for them. UPS has the safest driving record in the transportation industry and it is not by accident. They drill Safe Driving into us daily and this is one reason I understand PCars 2 Safety System so well. In Chapter 3 I will give you the 5 UPS Safe Seeing Habits and how I apply them everytime I race.

So what is The Gift and The Curse. It is quite simply PCars 2 Options. The Options are the Greatest gift we could have ever received and yet these same Options at least here in the short term Curse the game because of the complexity these same options bring to the game.

The Curse: (Short Term) The sheer amount of options that PCars 2 has brings about fragmentation and a fracturing of the community because there are just so many ways to play PCars that its hard to find a common consensus on how to play the game.

The Gift: (Long Term) 10 years ago we could only dream of having all these options to play around with. Some of these options have been in Forum wishlist for years and now with PCars we have them right here in front of us. These options are what give PCars its long term play value. PCars 2 in all honesty can be played for a very long time. For as many hours as I have put into PCars there is still so much left unexplored.

PCars 2 is built on a Open Sandbox concept. Its Open Sandbox concept is not like the ones we are use to where you can run all over a given world and do what you want. Its Open Sandbox concept is based around creating whatever kind of race that you want and for most of the community this has proven to be a bit much.

https://youtu.be/HAfFfqiYLp0
    Last edited by DECATUR PLAYA; 05-03-2020 at 18:32.
    CAR AIN'T GOT NO ROOF!!!!! - Young Dro

All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small - Lao Tzu
    The following 6 users likes this Post: Bealdor, cluck, F1_Racer68, hkraft300, Javaniceday, Ryzza5

Platform
    XBOX1
    Chapter 1: P2P

Guess what else uses Peer-to-Peer networking. Bitcoin and Blockchain technology.

Alright in this section we are going to talk about P2P networking. Before I start look I drive a truck for a living I am not a programmer so if I say something wrong here I will be happy for you guys to correct me. I have been using P2P for a long time and I know what I know. I know P2P well enough that 2 weeks after PCars 1 came out I was running a full room nightly with a bunch of guys I didnt know on Xbox with NO SERVER BROWSER. I knew how find the guys and they knew how to find me.

1)To get the best out of whatever Internet connection that you have you must hardwire your system to your modem. Wifi cuts your speed in half.

Example: I got a buddy that I met from New Zealand named Needless Monster. Monsters connection sucked. It has always sucked. I thought it was just the distance until 1 day Monster told me that he was using Wifi. I told him to hardwire but because of his setup he couldn't. Needless was a great driver but his Safety Rating was like a 800 because of all his disconnects. The last 3 times that I got to play with Monster before I stopped playing he had finally hardwired his Xbox and all his lag and disconnect problems had gone away.

2)Your internet connection matters. The best consumer grade internet I can get here in Atlanta, Ga comes thru fiber optic lines. Fiber optic Internet is provided here by Comcast and AT&T U-Verse. If you have Fiber Optic internet then you will generally not have a problem with PCars. The problem is Fiber Optic is expensive and everyboy cant afford expensive internet. I have had lower grade internet. Hardwired it was very playable. When I went Wifi it was unplayable.

3)Number 3 is a little more sinister. ISP's do something called Data Capping if I am not mistaken to preserve the overall health of the internet so they say. To explain it simply if you dont declare that you are a gamer or need all your speed for a buiness application then your ISP will restrict your internet. Sometimes these Firewalls wont let 2 guys connect even with a good internet service. These 2 guys IP addresses will not connect to each other. This bug is hard to find but it is not the fault of SMS or any other developer that uses P2P.

Example: 2 of my close racing buddies had this problem HMM DETROIT and Bushman33. For months they just could not connect to each other. After we finally located the problem and HMM DETROIT haggled with his internet service provider for about a month the problem was finally fixed.

About 8 years ago I was a member of a really good Nascar forum much like this one with loads of great guys. It was for a Nascar game developed by a British developer (go figure) called Eutechnyx. Early on we had very good communication with the development team much like here early on. One night one of the developers came on the forum and stated the 3 things that I just stated above. The community went nuts on the developer because they thought that the developer was trying to put the games problems off on guys individual internet connections. They absolutely gave the developer the buisness and this night and next couple of days would prove to be the end of developer and community relations.

Story sound familiar guys.

Edit: Had to edit this post because I left something out. Not all of the community went crazy on the developers. As I said that community had some really good guys just like this community. It was those guys that chased down the leads and breadcrumbs that the developer left for us. It was those guys in the community that found that everything the developer was telling us was true.
    Last edited by DECATUR PLAYA; 02-03-2020 at 04:36.

All difficult things have their origin in that which is easy, and great things in that which is small - Lao Tzu
    The following 4 users likes this Post: Bealdor, cluck, Javaniceday, Ryzza5

Platform
    XBOX1
    Chapter 2: The Lobby Leader

Alright you should know this right out of the gate. If you are surfing for rooms and you choose a Lobby Leader that sucks then that race experience is probably going to suck.

I have been running my room the exact same way that I ran it early on in PCars 1. What I basically did was to take the options and create my own game mode. I based that game mode off of the widely used 30 min game model. Let me explain.

Ranked Madden game= 25 to 35mins
    FIFA Season game=20 to 30mins
    Ranked 2k B ball game= 30 to 40mins
    Battlefield 4 Rush match= 30 mins
    Call of Duty match= 20 to 30mins
    And list goes on

The point of the 30 min game model is this. 30 mins is just enough time to create a great experience. 30 min is also about the most time most guys can endure a bad experience.

I wanted my room to be friendly and welcoming to new and inexperienced drivers while also having enough simulation quality to capture hardcore veterans. I made it habit not to waste guys time. I also wanted a fast room and for a room to be fast you need fast conditions.

There are 3 main options that I focused on to create the type of racing that I wanted for my room.

1)No Damage

The main reason I wanted No Damage is so that guys could just relax and race. Basically I did it so guys including myself could just have fun and race with out having to worry about getting wrecked out of the race. Initially that was my main reasoning but later I found out along with other fast guys that racing this way perfectly preserved the Safety Rating and Points system.

To explain this in a very simple way. Without Damage your not going to beat a Alien if your not a Alien. This made it a lot more fun for the experienced, fast drivers to race with less experienced drivers.

2)Stability Control On

The Stability Control quite simply acts as a set of training wheels for new drivers but there are some other benefits to using Stab Control in a public race. Stab Control can be really good for controller/pad users.

Stab Control also created a condition we liked to call Quick Tuning. Quick Tuning is a quick form of tuning where you can do very simple things to the car to get it to go fast and the Stab Control will sort of cover your mistakes. It is really a improper form of tuning but at least it gets guys Tuning.

The Stab Control also turns the car into a Tank so small knocks and bumps dont get the car out of whack as easily. Also good for New drivers.

3)Weather

The weather on PCars is unbelievable in the effect it has on the car. Doing different weather conditions is great for League racing but for Public Multiplayer all it does is rachet up the difficulty and weather effects can be really rough on new players. Again I wanted a fast room and for your room to be fast you need fast weather conditions. This is why I mostly race in Clear and Favorable conditions.

Heavy Weather settings can also be very demanding on your system depending on your system. I play on a OG Xbox so I try not push it harder than I have to.
    Last edited by DECATUR PLAYA; 02-03-2020 at 04:40.

Platform
    XBOX1
    Chapter 3: Lobby Leader pt:2

My race settings

Host settings

Password: None
    Privacy: Public
    Broadcast: Off
    Wait for Race Ready Input: On

Realism Settings

Allow auto start Engine: On
    Force Interior View: No
    Force Driving line Off: No
    Force Default Setups: No
    Force Manual Gears: No
    Force Realistic Driving Aids: No
    Allow Anti-Lock Brakes: Yes
    Allow Traction Control: Yes
    Allow Stability Control: Yes
    Damage Type: Off
    Mechanical Failures: No
    Allow Ghosted Vehicles: Yes
    Force Manual Pit Stops: Yes
    Pit Stop Errors: No
    Tyre Wear: Authentic
    Fuel Depletion: Yes
    Force Cooldown Lap: Yes

Vehicle Selection: Your Preference
    Track Selection: Your Preference

Race Settings

Duration Type: Laps
    Number of Laps: 30 min game model
    Date Type: Custom(Weather)
    Session Start Time: 11:00am(Weather)
    Time Progression: Real Time
    Season: Spring
    Weather Slot: 1
    Weather Forecast: Clear
    Weather progression: Off
    Start Type: Your Preference
    ( Tip for start type. If you disable rolling start in main menu and then enable it here you will get a AI controlled start.
    Formation Lap: No
    Mandatory Pit Stop: No
    ( Can be fun if everybody's on the same page)

Session Settings

Practice: Off
    Qualifying: On
    Session Start time: 11:00am
    Session Duration: 15min

Opponet Settings

Maxium Grid Size: 14 (Xbox)
    Maxium Human Opponents: 13
    Fill with AI: Off
    Opponent Field Type: Same Class

Rules and Regulations

Rules and Penalties: On
    Track Limit Penalties: On
    Allowable Time Penalty: 10
    Drive through Penalty: On
    Pit Exit Penalty: On
    Competitive Racing License: On
    Min. Competitive License: F800

UPS 5 SEEING HABITS

1)Aim high in steering
    How do you do it?
    *Imaginary target
    What does it do for you?
    *Centers car in lane
    *Safe path on turns
    Key Phrase
    *Find a safe path well ahead

2) Get the Big picture
    How do you do it?
    *How wide/deep
    *Whats in it
    *Objects and ground
    What does it do for you?
    *Keeps you away from billboards
    *Smooth stops and turns
    *Buys time
    Key phrase
    *Stay back and see it all

3) Keep your eyes moving
    How do you do it
    *Move eyes: front- 2 seconds
    *Rear 5 to 8 seconds
    What does it do for you?
    *Keeps you alive at intersections
    *Keeps eyes ahead of car
    Key phrase
    * Scan- Don't Stare

4) Leave yourself an out
    How do you do it?
    *Have an escape route
    *Take path of least resistance
    What does it do for you
    *Space on all 4 sides. Always in front
    Key Phrase
    *Be prepared. Expect the unexpected.

5) Make sure they see you
    How do you do it?
    *Communicate in traffic. Use horn, light, and signals
    What does it do for you
    *Establishes eye to eye contact
    Key phrase
    *Dont gamble. Use horn lights and signals

TO BE CONTINUED.....
    Last edited by DECATUR PLAYA; 02-03-2020 at 04:44.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Very cool insight.

Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by Javaniceday View Post
    Very cool insight.
    Got more. HA HA HA!!!

Platform
    XBOX1
    Chapter 4: Community Events

This 1 burns me a little bit. The Community Events are a very important part of PCars and a Super important part of Multiplayer. Its a reason its called a Community Event because it is a time when the Community can come together around 1 Car, at 1 Track, with 1 set of weather conditions and see who is the FASTEST!!!!

Mr. Bell and the team told us very early on that the functionality of the leaderboards was not what SMS wanted but that it was dictated to them by XBOX and Playstation to I believe. The P.C. leaderboards work fine. The leaderboards not working properly really took some punch out of the effectiveness of the Community Event. On PCars 1 with functioning leaderboards the Community Events had a much bigger impact on PCars 1. This is how you got to know the names of some of the guys coming thru your room because you would see their names in the Community Event. You may have even raced their ghost in the Community Event.

The reason this burns me a little bit is because I believe Mr. Bell and the team. I smell B.S. Once again a part of PCars 2 wrecked and it is not the fault of SMS but the fault of restrictions put in place by the Big Boys.

The reason I believe the team is because the Leaderboards on Xbox are really well done. The way they put the avatars and gamer pics up on Xbox was really cool and it brought a lot life to the Leaderboards. I cant see them putting in all that work to execute the end result the way it was executed. Just my opinion there.

The following 2 users likes this Post: Bealdor, cluck

Platform
    PC
    It may sound strange but those restrictions from XB1 and PS4 are definitely in place and already were for PCARS 1. They just look like they became more severe with PCARS 2 because the number of cars, classes and track layout increased significantly.
    That's why putting multiple classes in one discipline and limiting leaderboards by disciplines instead of classes was a necessary evil.

Lovin' your inside stories btw. Keep it up!
    Last edited by Bealdor; 12-12-2019 at 05:49.
    Main Rig: CPU I7 10700KF@Stock + UV | GPU ASUS TUF RTX3080 Gaming OC 10GB 1920MHz@900mV | RAM G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB DDR4 3200Mhz | MB MSI Z490 Gaming Edge WiFi | SSD 1 1000GB Patriot VPN100 M.2 PCIe 3.0 x4 NVME | SSD 2 1000GB Samsung 860-EVO | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Monitor Iiyama 34" Ultrawide Curved 3440x1440 | Wheel Fanatec CSW 2.5 + Clubsport Formula V2 + CSL Elite Steering Wheel WRC | Pedals Fanatec CSL Elite LC
    Second Rig: CPU I7 4790K@Stock | GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB | RAM 16GB DDR3 1866Mhz | MB Gigabyte GA-Z97X Gaming 3 | SSD Samsung 850 EVO 120GB | HDD Seagate SATA 1TB | O.S. Win 10 Pro 64bit | Wheel Logitech G27

STEAM ID: Bealdor

The forum search is a powerful tool, if you know how to use it...

Please check out our Project CARS 2 FAQ and Tips

PCARS 1 Known Issues threads: PC / PS4 / XB1
    The following 2 users likes this Post: cluck, DECATUR PLAYA

Platform
    XBOX1
    Chapter 5: Friends

First off I want to thank all my buddys that I have raced with over the years. You guys have given me some great memories. I will see you guys back out on the track soon.

Guys if you want enjoy multiplayer you got to make some buddies. At least 2 or 3. You dont even have to talk to them. Just send them a friend request so you can at least see when they are on. If you only have time to play in a certain time window then you need to make some buddies that play in that time window. If you just make 1 or 2 buddies out there you wouldnt believe it you will be racing everyday. It takes off quick.

If you are trying to run a room then you definitely need some buddies. Let me explain how it works. I see guys on the forum all the time say I created a room and nobody ever comes in my room. What Im about to say next is just part of the Underground Code. Nobody goes in a 1/16 room. If you create a room and your sitting in that room by yourself your either
    1) Dont know what your doing.
    2)A Troll
    3)Creepy

Nobody goes in a 1/16 room because it is generally a waste of time. Now after you get a following you can do the 1/16 thing but I wouldn't do it starting out.
    Last edited by DECATUR PLAYA; 02-03-2020 at 04:48.

Platform
    XBOX1
    Chapter 5: Race Teams

After you make some buddies then the next step is you and those buddies form a Race Team. Race Team members are like clan members in Call of Duty. Race Team members normally identify themselves with 3 Capital Letters in front of their Gamertag name.

My Race Team was LMS short for
    LEROY MOTORSPORTS.

Some Famous Race Teams on Xbox
    BAM
    SDL
    EMW
    ATR
    OTL
    TNT

There are many more but I cant think of any more right now. Being a member of a Race Team makes PCars so much easier. These guys generally work on the car together. They practice together. They share secrets with each other. They network together. They know where the good racing is.

Each race team has a ALPHA DOG. A fastest guy. Sometimes the Alpha Dog is not the fastest guy but just the guy that runs the Group but if he or she is not the fastest guy he or she is probably a real close 2nd.