Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rediscovering Project CARS 1

Platform
    PC

Rediscovering Project CARS 1

I've been on GT Sport as my go to racing game for a while now, and I have grown to really like it. I've never come across a game where the physics and tyre model gel so well with controller input, plus I like getting a gift car every day for doing the 26 miles. So after a few months, I thought I would give PC2 on the PS4 another look, and I found it to be very unsatisfying with the controller, no matter what I did, I couldn't get the same feel of buttery smooth fine control that comes with GT Sport. I then thought, let's give PC1 a go, and you know what, it is fantastic on the controller, easy to set up and very similar to GTS, but with a bit less masking of human error. I've only ever really played Project CARS with a wheel to any serious degree, and I always felt really clumsy using a controller on any game (20th century thumbs), but spending time with GTS has now trained my ape like digits to a higher level of dexterity.
    I just couldn't get PC2 to work without frustration on the controller, and I know that many have said that PC2>PC1 for controller use, so I was a bit puzzled. But getting PC1 dialled in has been very satisfying, so I bought the digital game of the year version for a tenner on the PS store and I'm having a blast. They must have removed some of the filtering between PC1 and two, as I find PC2 to be far more twitchy, where PC1 allows fine and subtle control. I think GTS is still the benchmark for controller use though, but I hope PC3 matches GT Sport in the controller stakes when we eventually get to see it.
    i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/HP Reverb G2/Fanatec CSL wheel + Clubsport V3 pedals/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Personally I find PC1's controls on Xbox 360 controller to be more responsive than PC2. Both games feel like there's a bit of input lag and some filters/dampers that cannot be turned off, especially when compared to games like rFactor and Automobilista, but PC2 feels worse in those aspects. While PC1's controls can feel too sensitive PC2's controls feels more on the numb side and not sensitive enough imo. Also I think PC2's default setups aren't that great, usually I need to adjust steering ratio and some other setup parameters to get the cars to feel right.
    That's coming from someone who plays with realistic driving aids, manual transmission, and uses precision steering, for people who use tap steering PC2's numb default controller settings might actually work better.

There's other reasons to still play PC1: FA is better in PC1, FB is better than FR3.5 is only available in PC1, DTM is only available in PC1, superkart is only available in PC1.
    The following user likes this Post: John Hargreaves

John, I'd be interested to see what settings you ended up with in PC1...

Ryzen R7 3800X - Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite - 16Gig DDR4 (Ballistix Elite 3600) - ZOTAC GTX1080Ti FE with EVGA Hybrid Cooler - iiiyama ProLite B2783QSU - Oculus Rift CV1 - Samsung 860 250G SSD, WD 6T Black, WD 2T Black, OCZ 120G Vertex 2 SSD, LiteOn iHAS122 DVD-RW - Creative 5.1 speaker system - Logitech G19 - Gigabyte GM-M6880X Gaming Mouse - Fanatec CSL Elite + Formula V2 + CSP V3 + SSH Shifter - Windows 10 Pro (64 bit).

Second machine used for additional testing. Ryzen R5 3600X - Asus Prime X570-P - 32G DDR4 (Crucial Ballistix 3200) - EVGA RTX2060 - iiyama Prolite E2607WS - Oculus Rift CV1 - W10 Pro (64 bit) - xbox360 pad or Logitech DFP (all at stock speeds)

HTPC - For testing of Steam Big Picture Mode (Hopefully from Media Portal 2) - i5-4590S - ASUS H81M-C - 8G DDR3 PC-10666 - Gigabyte GTX1050Ti - Windows 10 Home (64 bit) - xbox360 pad

YouTube channel - My attempt at a PC2 Career - a work in progress! - Trying other other racing content
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hargreaves View Post
    I've been on GT Sport as my go to racing game for a while now, and I have grown to really like it. I've never come across a game where the physics and tyre model gel so well with controller input, plus I like getting a gift car every day for doing the 26 miles. So after a few months, I thought I would give PC2 on the PS4 another look, and I found it to be very unsatisfying with the controller, no matter what I did, I couldn't get the same feel of buttery smooth fine control that comes with GT Sport. I then thought, let's give PC1 a go, and you know what, it is fantastic on the controller, easy to set up and very similar to GTS, but with a bit less masking of human error. I've only ever really played Project CARS with a wheel to any serious degree, and I always felt really clumsy using a controller on any game (20th century thumbs), but spending time with GTS has now trained my ape like digits to a higher level of dexterity.
    I just couldn't get PC2 to work without frustration on the controller, and I know that many have said that PC2>PC1 for controller use, so I was a bit puzzled. But getting PC1 dialled in has been very satisfying, so I bought the digital game of the year version for a tenner on the PS store and I'm having a blast. They must have removed some of the filtering between PC1 and two, as I find PC2 to be far more twitchy, where PC1 allows fine and subtle control. I think GTS is still the benchmark for controller use though, but I hope PC3 matches GT Sport in the controller stakes when we eventually get to see it.
    I disagree completely. To me PC2 is driveable (top 10 times on leaderboard and such)with a controller. For me PC1 was undrivable. I couldn't stay on the road. It also was far far more twitchy and it wasn't fun. There were moments on formula rookie where I could control the car. But PC2 was a massive step in the right direction. I certainly hope they don't go back in the direction of PC1. Because I loved the vision but I hated the controls. And reading back I was not alone. It's strange that we have the complete opposite view. I don't know anything about GT Sport, so I can't compare to that. From the video's I have seen it looks much more static. You have to use much less corrections. Compare this to ACC and PC2 and the difference is clear.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Al View Post
    John, I'd be interested to see what settings you ended up with in PC1...
    These are the settings that seem to do the trick for me. I'm still clumsy with a pad, hence the aids, but these settings are giving me the most fun and satisfaction.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200203_22_04_41_Pro.jpg 
Views:	2 
Size:	203.0 KB 
ID:	277968Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200203_22_05_05_Pro.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	238.1 KB 
ID:	277969
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200203_22_04_01_Pro.jpg 
Views:	1 
Size:	223.3 KB 
ID:	277970Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WIN_20200203_22_05_33_Pro.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	207.3 KB 
ID:	277971
    i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/HP Reverb G2/Fanatec CSL wheel + Clubsport V3 pedals/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following user likes this Post: Mad Al

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bliman View Post
    I disagree completely. To me PC2 is driveable (top 10 times on leaderboard and such)with a controller. For me PC1 was undrivable. I couldn't stay on the road. It also was far far more twitchy and it wasn't fun. There were moments on formula rookie where I could control the car. But PC2 was a massive step in the right direction. I certainly hope they don't go back in the direction of PC1. Because I loved the vision but I hated the controls. And reading back I was not alone. It's strange that we have the complete opposite view. I don't know anything about GT Sport, so I can't compare to that. From the video's I have seen it looks much more static. You have to use much less corrections. Compare this to ACC and PC2 and the difference is clear.
    I'd love to see your settings if you are able to post them, like I said I've struggled to get PC2 running right with the controller on PS4

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following user likes this Post: Bliman

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hargreaves View Post
    I'd love to see your settings if you are able to post them, like I said I've struggled to get PC2 running right with the controller on PS4
    I shall look tomorrow. But know that I use an Xbox one.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Sorry I forgot it today. I shall try to think about it tomorrow.

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I always feel like an outcast when looking at other people's controller settings since I prefer higher sensitivity and more responsive controls than most people:

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    XBOX1
    Ok here are the controller settings I use. Mind you it is with an xbox one controller and console.
    steering deadzone=7
    steering sensitivity=25
    throttle deadzone=0
    throttle sensitivity=5
    Brake deadzone=0
    Brake sensitivity=80
    clutch deadzone=10
    clutch sensitivity=25
    speed sensitivity=94
    controller damping=38
    minimum shift time=0
    I hope it helps.