Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oculus Rift S performance questions

Hybrid View

Platform
    PC

Oculus Rift S performance questions

Hello

I know ... I think I am somewhat late, but I like to play PC1 and PC2 most and therefore I stick to those simulations (also I had a early access to PC1 during development and it was a great time being part of the community!).

That said I hope I will get some support and help for some topics concerning Oculus Rift S gear and its performance ...

I am playing PC1 while launching steam and launching Oculus mode; at the same time I am starting Oculus debug tool in order to display performance HUD (I tried a couple of instructions for FPS displays, but can't get them working). I am playing with cockpit view.

So - with the actual settings I get a stable green "80" line for "app frame rate". This drops - let's say - about 2 or 3 frames for a second if I get hit by opponents and the car is "bumping" around.

While having that "green line" I think everything is ok and I can increase my graphic options and settings in order to get more details and especially a much smoother picture?

I read about smooting graphics by increasing an option within Oculus debug tool - is it the preferred / best way or should I stick to those antialiasing settings within PC for example?

Any help and support would be welcome.

Thanks in advance, Stone
    CPU i5 9400f, 32 GB RAM, 240GB SSD (OS), 480GB SSD (Games), MSI B365M Pro VH Mainboard, Gigabyte RTX 3060ti Gaming OC 8GB, Logitech G27, Oculus Rift S, home brewed SimRacing Rig with racing seat

Platform
    PC
    Have you applied the sharpening effect in the config file? That's definitely worth doing.
    i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/HP Reverb G2/Fanatec CSL wheel + Clubsport V3 pedals/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member

Platform
    PC
    Thanks for your reply.

I have changed <prop name="ResScale" data="1.2" /> from 1 to 1.2 but there seems to be no change - seeing the scene within frame on the monitor (I have set "window" to "yes" in VR options of PC) it is great: smooth, high resolution and so on. Changing it to 1.25 or 1.5 makes things "worse" as I don't see any improvement, but framerat drops to 65 up tp 70 and with 1.5 to around 50 and less.

Resolution is set to 1280x720@60 within PC. I am wondering but there is only 640x and 1280x available.

I came across an information, that CPU is pretty important with 3d headsets, so maybe that's the point: with Oculus performance HUD I see a parameter called "performance overhead" (according documentation it should be unused performance) which is around 5% or even less.

Maybe a CPU upgrade will solve the problem partly?

Regards, Stone
    CPU i5 9400f, 32 GB RAM, 240GB SSD (OS), 480GB SSD (Games), MSI B365M Pro VH Mainboard, Gigabyte RTX 3060ti Gaming OC 8GB, Logitech G27, Oculus Rift S, home brewed SimRacing Rig with racing seat

Platform
    PC
    I've not heard of the sharpening having an effect on performance, so if you are seeing that it might be coming from somewhere else. I run 1.3 myself, but people have used values up as far as 2.7 but that seems a bit high to me.
    Environment map, shadows and 3D grass have quite a big effect, so you can turn all those down for a good boost.
    i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/HP Reverb G2/Fanatec CSL wheel + Clubsport V3 pedals/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member

Platform
    PC
    Hi

Thanks for explanation - I have read that tools like MSI Afterburner or Geforce Experience may affect VR performance in various ways ... there are a couple of posts around the web. Need to prove this.

But according to Oculus documentation GPU may be the bottleneck, too, as there is nearly no performance overhead left; I already lowered the settings to mid and switched off detailed gras as well as shadows set to low and environment map set to mid.

I am wondering as I am using a 2k monitor and could get a pretty good performance (around 110 to 150 FPS (measured with MSI) at Rouen in a 19 opponents race) with higher settings.

I will switch off all those background tools and give it another try.

Thx, Stone

Platform
    PC
    I've been using fpsVR utility from Steam and it has helped me tweak settings on the fly to get decent fps. AMS2 is very Project CARS like and works well in VR, you might have a look at that one too.

WMD1 + WMD2 Member

Platform
    PC
    My 1070 needed to run low-ish settings for the CV1 rift. The S is slightly more demanding overall though.

Once I got my 1080Ti, I was able to run medium settings with even a few high settings here and there (on my CV1). However once I upgraded my HMD to an HP Reverb, I had to dial everything back down to mostly low.
    Steam name: z1nonly YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Z1NONLY/featured Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/z1nonly172
    5800X / RTX 3080 FE / 32gb DDR4 @3600 C15 / HP Reverb Pro / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5

Platform
    PC
    Thanks for your replies.

I could not get fpsVR up and running (error message is "no HMD found" while starting fpsVR ... Oculus App is already running). Maybe you can help me / support me with this, too? How do you run fpsVR? Oculus Home, Steam, fpsVr and the Project Cars?

I tried switching off every background application, so I had only Steam up and running (beside the OS itself and an antivirus software), but MSI afterburner, Geforce Experience and so on switched off (checked also for remaining processes), but it did not change anything.

I get stable 80 fps with 0 to 5% performance headroom at medium settings with sharpening parameter set to 1.

I checked the parameters influence with some very low settings (0.3 e.g. and you will remember thos C64 and CPC464 days) and some higher settings (e.g. with 2 I had a diashow), so I left it at 1 - I will receive a new graphics adapter next days (hopefully) and will post results.

According to several benchmarks CPU could have an effect of around 5 to 10 fps without VR and around 3 to 5 fps with VR and Oculus documentation points out that "performance headroom" is related to GPU only and will indicate if GPU is loaded 100%, too much or even less (and has got headroom).

Beside that ... and to make things short: Twinz' remark about the 1080ti is also a good hint ... maybe I am expecting too much from my rig.

Regards, Stone
    The following user likes this Post: John Hargreaves

Platform
    PC
    Sorry for being late with new information ...

I received a Gigabyte 3060ti Gaming OC and swapped the cards - I can see a huge performance boost within PC @2k resolution as I could alter the settings from "average" / "medium" (should have switched to English version in order to get them right terms) to "high" and "ultra" (also e.g. detailed gras and particle quality to high) and still get around 125 fps on average at Rouen (this what I am using as reference most of the time with a 19 opponents race) up to 144 fps (I am using gsync with a 144hz screen). I can see GPU load at around 60% on average with peaks to 75% ... CPU is still at around 50% on all cores.

Using Oculus Rift S and the analysis / debugging tool for performance monitoring shows much less performance boost. I expected to see around 25 to 50% "performance overhead" with the same settings as used with the 1660 GPU, but I get only around 10 to 15 while the 1660 had around 0% on average.

As I do get a notification on boot for RAM and / or VGA error I am not sure, if the 3060 is running correctly with the PSU I am using (be quiet bqt-l8-cm-630w 80+ bronze) so I ordered a new PSU with much more power at the same efficiency level (got this hint somewhere on a support forum because the card is acting quiet normal and stress testing GPU and RAM did not show any error or unexpected behaviour).

New PSU should arrive on Monday or Tuesday ...

Keep you informed ... maybe it is an overall discontent with the resolution of the Oculus Rift S per eye in contrast to the 2k resolution of the screen :-(

Regards, Stone
    The following user likes this Post: John Hargreaves

Platform
    PC
    p.s: according various psu calculators my rig should draw 608 watts (let's say 610) with the 3060ti which may cause voltage drop on the psu rails, but I am a little bit astonished as the card and system is stable while playing ... but when swapping the 1660 back in everything is ok and I fear I have to return the 3060ti because of a manufacturing failure / error