Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Let's design the ultimate racing simulation game

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PostBox981 View Post
    Instead of a random failure system I would prefer the engine wear thing that we have in PC2. It is related to race length, driving style, car class and cooling opening/engine temp. The engine works perfect even at 99% of wear but then blows at 100%. So it is not random but you can influence it.

I remember a classic F1 race at Spa Historic, which took over 2.5 hours. We all knew that the engine of the Lotus 25 wouldn´t make it to the chequered flag and we would all have to pit to get the engine repaired for minutes. During the race I found that wear is way lower when I don´t rev the engine to its limit, so I shortshifted in some places and finished the race first. One of my mates is still pissed when he recalls that one race.
    The engine damage feature in pC2 was probably more influential in our 30 minute league races than tyre wear, fuel usage or other damage/pitstops for me. The knowledge of how to balance engine temps and damage was critical in almost all of our races. Watching that damage percentage creep up towards the end of races was always somewhat exciting... the performance suddenly taking a nosedive around 70-80% damage then blowing at 100%... heaven. The amount of times that front runners had completely closed the radiator ducts for qualifying then forgotten to set them in race trim and running away, lap after lap, while you wonder how the hell they have that pace, only to blow the engine 10 laps from home... lol.

No matter how much I love the tyre model/physics/track limits and FFB in pC3, it can never satisfy those itches that make proper sim racing so exciting and technically enjoyable... finding that edge over everyone else. There are no real risks to take in pC3... racers win and lose by the risks they are willing to take... and I miss that so much.

pC4 deserves to be, and should be, utterly epic.. thanks for starting this thread.. it's epic as well.
    Savoury69 - Fanatec CSLE-PS4/ClubSport F1 2018 LE Rim + Podium APM/ClubSport V3 Pedals + Brake Performance Kit - Saor Alba
    The following 6 users likes this Post: hkraft300, John Hargreaves, JohnDriver, Konan, PostBox981, Titzon Toast

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
    Anyone experience the "random" flat tires for the first iteration of Codemaster's ownership of the F1 license, F1 2010?

I raced for 30 minutes, got a flat. Drive into the pits to get a new tire. Drive out of the pits and before I completed the lap, got another flat. Changed that tire and then a few minutes later got another flat and rage quit.
    Yeah, I managed last year to get through 2010-2019. Flat tire was an issue at points.
    PC 3 Win 10 Home 64bit ASUS Prime Z270-A/i7 7700K 4.5 GHz, 32 GB GSKILL Trident White 3200, EVGA SC GTX 1070 (MSI AfterBurner 109/89/124/425) Oculus Rift CV1 (VR Cover for eyewear)
    Monitor LG 29" Ultrawide 2560x1080
    Steam, Origin, Uplay, and Epic (GTsimms)

Primary Fanatec: CSW 2.5, V3 Pedals w/performance kit, R330 and Formula V2 w/APMs, Handbrake v.1.5, and button caps
    Secondary Wheels: T300 w/T3PA Pro (Sparco Rally and F1), T150, CSR, & GT3 RS V2 w/CSR pedals

Other wheels used in the past Logitech G25, DFGT, MOMO, and Driving Force (GT3 A-Spec).

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sum Dixon-Ear View Post
    The engine damage feature in pC2 was probably more influential in our 30 minute league races than tyre wear, fuel usage or other damage/pitstops for me. The knowledge of how to balance engine temps and damage was critical in almost all of our races. Watching that damage percentage creep up towards the end of races was always somewhat exciting... the performance suddenly taking a nosedive around 70-80% damage then blowing at 100%... heaven. The amount of times that front runners had completely closed the radiator ducts for qualifying then forgotten to set them in race trim and running away, lap after lap, while you wonder how the hell they have that pace, only to blow the engine 10 laps from home... lol.

No matter how much I love the tyre model/physics/track limits and FFB in pC3, it can never satisfy those itches that make proper sim racing so exciting and technically enjoyable... finding that edge over everyone else. There are no real risks to take in pC3... racers win and lose by the risks they are willing to take... and I miss that so much.

pC4 deserves to be, and should be, utterly epic.. thanks for starting this thread.. it's epic as well.
    They move the vehicle handling model over from PC3 to PC4 or whatever title is next. I am definitely buying it. Yes, there are good and bad points about PC3.

But damn, driving a lot these vehicles with a good wheel. The handling is nearly perfect. The more I play it. The more, I understand the convincing handling model.
    Last edited by GTsimms; 22-01-2021 at 05:33.
    PC 3 Win 10 Home 64bit ASUS Prime Z270-A/i7 7700K 4.5 GHz, 32 GB GSKILL Trident White 3200, EVGA SC GTX 1070 (MSI AfterBurner 109/89/124/425) Oculus Rift CV1 (VR Cover for eyewear)
    Monitor LG 29" Ultrawide 2560x1080
    Steam, Origin, Uplay, and Epic (GTsimms)

Primary Fanatec: CSW 2.5, V3 Pedals w/performance kit, R330 and Formula V2 w/APMs, Handbrake v.1.5, and button caps
    Secondary Wheels: T300 w/T3PA Pro (Sparco Rally and F1), T150, CSR, & GT3 RS V2 w/CSR pedals

Other wheels used in the past Logitech G25, DFGT, MOMO, and Driving Force (GT3 A-Spec).

Platform
    PC
    I remember a really good suggestion that Nick Hamilton made back in WMD time, and that was for the club level races to start in the paddock, just using tents/gazebos for a garage, and then at the start of the race you have to drive through the crowds and take your place in a waiting area before marshalls call you to the grid. I think that was a great idea, being able to drive through a busy paddock to the track, having to avoid spectators and other vehicles, builds the tension nicely and adds realism I've never seen in any other game or sim. So much as brush a spectator and it's black flag before you even start the race. I think that would be awesome in VR. You could have the spectators stop and gawp at you, give a little wave etc
    i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/HP Reverb G2/Fanatec CSL wheel + Clubsport V3 pedals/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following 5 users likes this Post: chastewand, cluck, hkraft300, Konan, PostBox981

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by John Hargreaves View Post
    So much as brush a spectator and it's black flag before you even start the race.
    Or it turns on Carmageddon mode and you get extra points for brushing more spectators.

Platform
    PS4 Pro
    A small request, and hopefully easy enough to implement... can we please have Bernie sitting somewhere at every circuit...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EsPjRSKXMAAvgn8.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	126.3 KB 
ID:	283675
    Savoury69 - Fanatec CSLE-PS4/ClubSport F1 2018 LE Rim + Podium APM/ClubSport V3 Pedals + Brake Performance Kit - Saor Alba
    The following 7 users likes this Post: John Hargreaves, Konan, Nathan Bell, PostBox981, r_outsider, Tank621, Zaskarspants

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    The GT Sport multiplayer competition system is a must have with cross-play between PC,XB and PS.. Pcars should remove the number from the title. “Project Cars Racing” should be the definitive Game Title, with seasonal support similar to Iracing. Pcars 2 is a very good Base going forward, that could constantly receive improvement and updates. With NewTracks and Cars every season, I could only imagine how great Pcars 2 would be. if Support and features remained under development as a priority, Pcars2 could possibly be the best sim in the industry right now. Look at Assetto Corsa as an example, and all their support is from Community modders. Both GT Sport and Forza have really good paint shops For liveries.
    I was born to Lose, But built to Win..
    The following 5 users likes this Post: chastewand, JohnDriver, machmin333, roddypoddy, Zaskarspants

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    PC4 should be customizable in every aspect except driving engine. I would like to see possibility to customize my main menu buttons and views, for example to be able to remove some buttons or group them in a aggregated button like you can hide few apps on android phone in one button and only after pressing that you can see more. I would also like to be able to withdraw some settings sonthat they are in front of me always, also some statistics, maybe also set different camera view in main menu.

Sound and graphics should also be customizable allowing even for dumb things. And I mean consoles also. For example I would really like to change source of sound in PC3 to have sound like from behind the exhaust in other cameras. Good sound adds the most to the immersion but good sound can mean different things for different people. I would also like to be able to choose songs to be played in menus, amd why not prepare 2-3 completly different styles to match most?

As for graphics settings, make it possoble to lets say, turn off everything except track, for those who really miss FPS for smooth playing. Now it is rather reduction of quality than option to turn, spectators, trees, clouds etc. off.

About tuning, I want to do things you dont allow now, for example I have Lotus Exige Cup 430 tunned max to hipercars but I can not reduce its suspension to lower than 100mm. I also can not reduce air pressure in tires below 2 bars, and why not I am asking? Even if this is clearly dumb, let me discover this or experiment. We should be also able to set power ratio in AWD cars or at least in some of them, which is possible in modern cars, but PC3 doesn't allow. It would also be grat to be able to turn AWD cars into RWD or AWD if player wants to. I would be very happy to try racing civil versions of RWD Porshe 918.

As for tuning, I would like to be able to install for example drag tires, or the very, very fat ones, or broad ones to grip on straights or just for fun. I would also like to experiment with very slim tires in such muscle cars to learn gentle usage of throttle and just have fun.

PC4 should also allow us to have handbrake in every car just as PC3 does with only exception of official class races if there is no handbrake in that class. Adding handbrake should add few kilograms to the car and shoyld cost us ingame currency. Also in online races host should be able to set that on/off.

I would also like to see number of players registered to every event. For example now scheduled events miss that so much, and I usually pass registration as it is not worth to qualify for 10 minutes and then see that there is just one more player that will quit before race starts anyways, so why bother at all.

In the end PC4 should have all exotic racing classes, starting from trucks, ending up with all those strange classes from US, where I feel like people are racing anything - that would be very refreshing.
    Last edited by Zinnsash; 23-01-2021 at 10:14.

Platform
    PC
    Microsoft and Asobo (MSFS2020 devs) have been doing a series of Developer Q&A sessions, where the community manager Jayne collects all the prominent questions and wishlist threads from the forum and does an interview with some of the lead developers. It's done as a video/zoom sort of thing (obviously currently), but I think it goes a long way towards getting the community on board and explains what can and can't be done, and really shows the team are listening to the fans.
    It reminds me a bit of Casey's 'The physics of...' series, but it's a bit more personal and engaging, albeit less detailed.
    Flight simmers are even grumpier than race simmers, but it's a very refreshing and open approach that gets people on your side, and unlike something like discord, the interviews and dialogue are all preserved for reference.
    The questions are curated, so the nutters are kept out, and what is left is both reassuring and informative, and builds a positive community spirit. With PC1-3 I've seen so much time wasted by mods/community manager types here and on discord just dealing with dumbass nonsense, and everyone just ends up getting salty. This is a clever technique to overcome that.

I wouldn't recommend watching all this unless you are really into the subject matter, but just as an example, I'd love to see something like this happen with our ultimate sim race game

i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/HP Reverb G2/Fanatec CSL wheel + Clubsport V3 pedals/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following 5 users likes this Post: JohnDriver, Konan, PostBox981, Ryzza5, r_outsider

WMD Member
    Platform
    PC
    MSFS 2020 was terrible at the start, but now major bugs have been fixed and the game is great.
    Importantly, the ability to add content by third-party developers, both paid and free, is left. And I think this is a good prospect for the long life of the game.
    The following user likes this Post: John Hargreaves