Thread: Why am I slow? Asking racing advice...

Platform
    PS4

Why am I slow? Asking racing advice...

Hey all,

A video shows more than a thousand words right. I can get round corners fine but I am too slow and it's hard to improve. I also feel it's hard to really push: whenever I try that, I lose the car (see oversteer in second to last corner!). Where can I improve? If anyone would want to look at the video and give me driving advice that would be awesome!

I'm on PS4, I use T300RS with T3PA (with brake mod). Informative ffb, with 75/60/20/60.
    This is Ferarri GTE, with default loose setup, hard tyres, 58/42 bias, 2/8 wings and softened fast damping for the high kerbs at Imola. Stable setup feels even slower, very understeery.

Thanks!

Platform
    PC
    If you could load a run with a ghost that has the pace you are looking for, it would be easier to see where you are losing time.

The first thing I noticed was that you are using traction control. I have never been able to get close to my own times when that's enabled.
    Steam name: z1nonly YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Z1NONLY/featured Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/z1nonly172
    3800X / RTX 3080 FE / 32gb DDR4 @3600 C15 / HP Reverb Pro / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Some thoughts:

- You are not very slow, a flat 1:44 which I am sure you can do would bring you in the top 25%-30% of the PC leaderboards (in time trial conditions). Of course you can go much faster, but it's not like you are slow now. You just need to gain maybe 1 second per sector.

- Go back to Deault Loose setup. A downforce setting of 2/8 that you are using now will slow you down enough, especially in a power track like this you will lose enough time in the straights. A 58/42 brake bias will make you lock your front tires a lot under heavy braking in this track, which also slows you down in corner entry. And the rest of the settings, it is very likely that you have made the setup more difficult to drive, that's very often the case and when people go back to default, find they suddenly become a lot faster. And before you think that Default setup is slow, people in the leaderbooards are doing times below 1:40 with default.. Especially in this car (same as in the Ford GTE), default is very good. If there's maybe one thing you'd want to change is Engine braking, put it to maximum value if it gives you trouble when downshifting and unsettles your car (it is very likely the cause of the sudden oversteer moment as you shift gear down in the last two corners)

- The Ferrari GTE (and the GT3) has a turbo engine which has all it's power at low rpm and drops very quickly as rpm go very high. So you need to downshift exactly at the moment that the gear indicator in the speedometer turns red. Right now you are up shifting right at the end of the limiter and this reduces your acceleration very considerably.

- I suspect (but I am not sure) that you also have auto clutch enabled. This makes gear changes slower, resulting to a few tenths per lap lost. Turn it off, if you have it on.

- I agree with Twinz, traction control also slows you down. Not by a huge margin, maybe again a couple tenths or so per lap.

- Each of the above adjustments can give you a few tenths already. But the biggest speed improvement will come from putting the power down earlier. See for example the first five turns in sector 1 in your video, you spend a considerable time in each one of them coasting, so neither braking nor on gas. This is where usually most of the time can be gained (provided the racing lines are fine, which in your case they generally are), you need to start putting the gas down as much faster and faster as you can, right after the braking phase. Of course this is also the most difficult part, it needs dozens and dozens hours of practice to get it right!

Hope this helps a bit!
    The following 3 users likes this Post: blinkngone, Maskmagog, Olijke Poffer

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    Some thoughts:

- You are not very slow, a flat 1:44 which I am sure you can do would bring you in the top 25%-30% of the PC leaderboards (in time trial conditions). Of course you can go much faster, but it's not like you are slow now. You just need to gain maybe 1 second per sector.

- Go back to Deault Loose setup. A downforce setting of 2/8 that you are using now will slow you down enough, especially in a power track like this you will lose enough time in the straights. A 58/42 brake bias will make you lock your front tires a lot under heavy braking in this track, which also slows you down in corner entry. And the rest of the settings, it is very likely that you have made the setup more difficult to drive, that's very often the case and when people go back to default, find they suddenly become a lot faster. And before you think that Default setup is slow, people in the leaderbooards are doing times below 1:40 with default.. Especially in this car (same as in the Ford GTE), default is very good. If there's maybe one thing you'd want to change is Engine braking, put it to maximum value if it gives you trouble when downshifting and unsettles your car (it is very likely the cause of the sudden oversteer moment as you shift gear down in the last two corners)

- The Ferrari GTE (and the GT3) has a turbo engine which has all it's power at low rpm and drops very quickly as rpm go very high. So you need to downshift exactly at the moment that the gear indicator in the speedometer turns red. Right now you are up shifting right at the end of the limiter and this reduces your acceleration very considerably.

- I suspect (but I am not sure) that you also have auto clutch enabled. This makes gear changes slower, resulting to a few tenths per lap lost. Turn it off, if you have it on.

- I agree with Twinz, traction control also slows you down. Not by a huge margin, maybe again a couple tenths or so per lap.

- Each of the above adjustments can give you a few tenths already. But the biggest speed improvement will come from putting the power down earlier. See for example the first five turns in sector 1 in your video, you spend a considerable time in each one of them coasting, so neither braking nor on gas. This is where usually most of the time can be gained (provided the racing lines are fine, which in your case they generally are), you need to start putting the gas down as much faster and faster as you can, right after the braking phase. Of course this is also the most difficult part, it needs dozens and dozens hours of practice to get it right!

Hope this helps a bit!
    This is incredible feedback, thank you so much! Very happy with this.
    The following 2 users likes this Post: blinkngone, cpcdem

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Cumulonimbus View Post
    This is incredible feedback, thank you so much! Very happy with this.
    You're very welcome! Don't forget to come back and let us know about your progress!

Platform
    PS4
    Quote Originally Posted by cpcdem View Post
    You're very welcome! Don't forget to come back and let us know about your progress!
    I changed brake bias to 56/44, wings to 5/1 and a higher setting for engine braking. Tyre pressures should be fine, after 5 laps they are around 1.82 bar each. But now I oversteer a lot at the end of braking. Almost every turn, I brake hard, then brake softer for a slight tail braking effect while turning in but the car never stops turning.... and I end up backwards.
    Setup or driving problem? Or both?

Edit: or is this because I turned auto clutch off? Never had any experience without auto clutch or rev matching or any of that.
    Last edited by Cumulonimbus; 08-01-2021 at 11:40.

Platform
    PC
    The *timing* of your downshifts becomes more imortant as you get engine braking closer to zero.

As you brake, you downshift and the engine braking helps the car slow down. But if you downshift into a gear when you are going faster than that gear is capable of, you lock up the rear tires and upset the rear of the car.

This can also happen to a lesser extent even when the next gear down is capable of the speed you are traveling but the engine revs have not been matched to the road speed. Autoclutch matches the revs for you (assuming the gear is capable of the speed you are traveling) but does so in a lethargic way so as not to give you an advantage over doing it manually and nailing the rev-match.

The sequential-transmission cars match the revs even in manual clutch mode though, so I suspect it has more to do with timing and the engine braking being at zero in your case.
    Last edited by Twinz; 08-01-2021 at 15:07.
    Steam name: z1nonly YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Z1NONLY/featured Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/z1nonly172
    3800X / RTX 3080 FE / 32gb DDR4 @3600 C15 / HP Reverb Pro / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5
    The following user likes this Post: hkraft300

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Yeah, indeed autoclutch off did this, put "Engine Braking" to maximum value, to help you out with this rotation. Later, when you have put more practice in, you may want to put it back to a lower value, because you can actually use this effect to better rotate the car in corner entry when downshifting, but for now better put it to maximum value. Or be careful with your downshifts, don't do it while turning. Also remember that by putting downforce to 5 instead of the default 6, you are changing the aero balance of the car and trigerring some oversteer as well. If it feels better at 5 for you, then that's fine and you get some extra acceleration, but I'd suggest doing enough testing also with the default value, to make sure which suits you best.

Platform
    PS4
    I reckon you'd find a few tenths if you use more of the kerb. Turn 4/5 chicane the exit of that is 3rd gear if you keep your speed up. Small adjustment - eating too much of those big kerbs will throw you.
    Also see turn 8/9/10.

Look at your throttle application in turn 6: I have the same terrible habit of getting on the throttle too early then having to back off. That can keep up your mid-corner speed a little but kills your exit speed and therefore lost time.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10

Platform
    PS4
    Also check out Driver61 on yt. Scott mansell is a racer and coach. Rehashing his basics cut seconds from my lap times.
    G29 FFB RAW 100-40-5-10