Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rookie question about PC1 and PC2

Rookie
    Platform
    PC

Rookie question about PC1 and PC2

Hi all

I have very recently picked up PC1 on Steam and am having an absolute blast. It's great for me as it allows so much customisation of settings so I can have a lot of fun journeying towards a more sim like experience from my quasi-arcade beginnings. A huge thank you to the Devs! I have been looking for an accessible racing game for years - not straight arcade and not a mandatory hardcore only sim. The flexibility is mighty fine

Now, PC2 has come on sale and normally I would just stick with what I've got now - after all I'm just starting in PC1 so have a lot to look forward to. However I have noticed tha PC2 includes Indy tracks and cars. I have a huge soft spot for Indy from playing Indy 500 back in the 90s (or was it the 80s?). Anyway, at the crazy good price that Steam has on PC2, I think I will probably get it, and would appreciate it if you could help me with some questions.

1) Is PC2 as tweakable as PC1 when it comes to what level of complexity it can be played at? I imagine so, but wanted to double check.

2) If I got PC2, would there be any benefit in playing PC1 first?

3) Is the driving experience very similar to PC1? I know I enjoy PC1 very much - but if there has been a great change in driving design philosophy, fair enough but I will have to hope it's as personally enjoyable as PC1. (Hmm can play for a couple of hours before refund if needed I guess so no problem there...)

4) Minor side query here - does PC2 have your best laptimes easily visible for later reference? I may be being dim, but the only time I can find my last race laptime in PC1 is in a brief post-race screen that disappears; also I can only find my best laptime by selecting me as a ghost car in a time trial.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Dhansak View Post
    1) Is PC2 as tweakable as PC1 when it comes to what level of complexity it can be played at? I imagine so, but wanted to double check.
    Similar to PC1, there are driver aids they can be enabled.

2) If I got PC2, would there be any benefit in playing PC1 first?
    A per below, some people like PC1 more than PC2. I prefer PC2 over PC1.

3) Is the driving experience very similar to PC1? I know I enjoy PC1 very much - but if there has been a great change in driving design philosophy, fair enough but I will have to hope it's as personally enjoyable as PC1. (Hmm can play for a couple of hours before refund if needed I guess so no problem there...)
    There were a lot of changes to the tire model from PC1 to PC2. There are those who enjoy PC1 more than PC2. PC2 is going to be a bit more difficult to get into than PC1. There is a demo in Steam for PC2 so you can try it before you buy it.

4) Minor side query here - does PC2 have your best laptimes easily visible for later reference? I may be being dim, but the only time I can find my last race laptime in PC1 is in a brief post-race screen that disappears; also I can only find my best laptime by selecting me as a ghost car in a time trial.
    No different there. You can find some of the add on apps that can help.
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Platform
    PC
    For what they cost these days I'd definitely recommend getting both PC1 and 2, but maybe have a good play on PC1 first and get your money's worth, then go on to PC2. It feels like an all round improved version, and you are less likely to go back once you play PC2. PC1 does have some content that didn't make it to two though, and for me, gamepad handling is slightly smoother in 1, so it still has things going for it. The UI and general game design is definitely more refined in PC2 though, so you'll miss that going back to 1.
    i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/HP Reverb G2/Fanatec CSL wheel + Clubsport V3 pedals/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following user likes this Post: Zaskarspants

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Thank you both for the information - much appreciated!

Think I will give the demo a try just in case my gamepad "skills" elude me in PC2. PC1 is the first game I have had a good experience with a controller; all the rest of my gaming is done with mouse & kb or HOTAS - so I have very little competence with a gamepad. But it is rather good with PC1!

Steam is currently selling PC2 for about 7, with the Deluxe version about 11. Given that PC1 only cost me 3, the total cost for all the play (even if I only got PC2 for Indy stuff) - would be trivial if it gives me the hours of fun. Will download the demo as suggested and see how it goes.

Thanks again for the help
    The following user likes this Post: John Hargreaves

Platform
    PC
    I prefer the lower power cars when playing on a pad, touring cars, Ginetta G40, GT4s etc, and I use TC,ABS and SC assists. I find it makes the experience feel more like it does when I use a wheel, where I would tend to drive with assists on real.
    i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/HP Reverb G2/Fanatec CSL wheel + Clubsport V3 pedals/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Thanks John! In PC1 I have tried a few car classes and have gravitated towards GT3 - my Logitech controller seems to work well for me there. i have yet to work out the best key config though. At the moment I am using the right analog stick to steer and the left dpad for brake and accelerator. However when the pressure is on, I revert to trying to steer and speed up/slow down with just the dpad, or less often - just the right stick. I have come to the conclusion that my muscle memory is still locked onto WASD lol, so when in panic mode that's what my fingers do... eek. BTW great avatar pic - if you ever need a dogsitter let me know

Mahjik - I downloaded the demo (good call - thx! - hadn't noticed there was a demo) and it seems different with the controller but fine. You mentioned some apps (re lap times) - are they windows apps or something on Android?

Will look at it all properly tomorrow - now it's lockdown movie night with my wife!

Platform
    PC
    I started my gamepad experience on Gran Turismo on the PS1 with x for gas and square for brake, d-pad to steer, so it took me a while to adapt to analogue controllers when they first appeared. It was worth retraining the muscle memory even though it felt very awkward at first, so I'd suggest using the triggers for gas and brake and the thumb switch to steer. It's pretty much standard on current consoles. Hardest part is getting the smooth tiny movements to steer, but it is literally just a question of practice. Definitely worth retraining those 20th century thumbs though.

WMD1 + WMD2 Member

Platform
    PC
    Mahjik - I downloaded the demo (good call - thx! - hadn't noticed there was a demo) and it seems different with the controller but fine. You mentioned some apps (re lap times) - are they windows apps or something on Android?
    There are apps across the various platforms. I don't really use them so I can't help much but point you in the direction of looking:

https://forum.projectcarsgame.com/fo...API-Discussion

https://www.projectcarsgame.com/two/apps/
    Intel i7-4790K @4.4GHz | 16gb ram | ZOTAC GeForce GTX 1080 | 5040x1050 | Windows 8.1 64-bit | Thrustmaster TX Servo Base | Thrustmaster TH8A Shifter
    ProtoSimTech PT-1 Pedals | rSeat Evo V2 | Front/Rear Transducers | SimVibe | Black Max II Button Controller | Sennheiser PC 360 Headset

Forum Rules
    PC2 FAQ & Tips

Rookie
    Platform
    PC
    Have bought and installed PC2 - yay! Have not had time to play it yet - boo!

John - will try and get my muscle memory sorted with the controller. I have got used to the analog stick for steering, but found my hand cramped up a bit when using the buttons for gas and brake. Holding it too tight in my excitement I suspect!

Mahjik - thanks very much for pointing me in the right direction for the apps.

Thanks again for the assist guys - much appreciated
    The following 2 users likes this Post: John Hargreaves, Mahjik

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    I feel it is definitely worth mentioning the advantages of a FFB Wheel setup. For me, gamepads were always problematic, especially after long gaming sessions. Callouses on my thumbs if I used buttons for gas/brake. Awkward finger positions of using triggers for gas/brake, and using sticks for gas/brake just never felt right to me. Plus the problem of "controller claw", where your hands cramp in a controller-like position after long sessions.

All of that goes away with a wheel. Plus, it feels natural and you can be much more sensitive with a wheel for steering and pedals for gas/brake. The FFB also makes it so you can actually feel the bumps in the road and respond to losses in traction much more intuitively. The cost of entry is a bit higher than with gamepads, but in my opinion is definitely worth every penny.