Thread: New player introduction and impressions (VR)

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC

New player introduction and impressions (VR)

Hello everybody. First off, as a new player I want to say thank you to the devs for making an awesome game.

My story:
    Recently, a friend was telling me about his new Oculus2 and how awesome it is. He convinced me and I decided to pull the trigger and order one. While waiting on my order, my brain tells me "you know what probably translates really well to VR is racing games". I've been known to play some arcade racers with a controller, but obviously with VR I wanted something more realistic, both in terms of input and driving physics. I decide to order a FFB wheel setup with H-shifter. Since money is a concern I went with the G29. Project Cars 2 was the obvious first choice of game, with research telling me that it has excellent realism while also being accessable to newcomers.

After some initial hiccups with wheel setup, I get everything working properly and get my career started with the Ginetta Juniors. First impression is OMFG!!!!!! This is amazing!!!!!! The immersion is just incredible in VR. Actually being able to use the cars dashboard indicators instead of an artificial HUD, turning your head to anticipate corners, checking your mirrors, looking out the side window as you pass or get overtaken, all of it just absolutely incredible. Feeling the bumps in the road and that feeling when you lose the back end around a corner, even with my entry-level wheel, wow.

Thanks again to the devs who have made an amazingly awesome and accessable game, and for incorporating VR in a way that really puts you there. I am looking forward to the many hours of enjoyment that I will getting out of this.
    The following 9 users likes this Post: Asturbo, Cote Dazur, DaWorstPlaya, GTsimms, John Hargreaves, Konan, N8s2Slow, roddypoddy, Twinz

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by LostCoastRacer View Post
    Hello everybody. First off, as a new player I want to say thank you to the devs for making an awesome game.

My story:
    Recently, a friend was telling me about his new Oculus2 and how awesome it is. He convinced me and I decided to pull the trigger and order one. While waiting on my order, my brain tells me "you know what probably translates really well to VR is racing games". I've been known to play some arcade racers with a controller, but obviously with VR I wanted something more realistic, both in terms of input and driving physics. I decide to order a FFB wheel setup with H-shifter. Since money is a concern I went with the G29. Project Cars 2 was the obvious first choice of game, with research telling me that it has excellent realism while also being accessable to newcomers.

After some initial hiccups with wheel setup, I get everything working properly and get my career started with the Ginetta Juniors. First impression is OMFG!!!!!! This is amazing!!!!!! The immersion is just incredible in VR. Actually being able to use the cars dashboard indicators instead of an artificial HUD, turning your head to anticipate corners, checking your mirrors, looking out the side window as you pass or get overtaken, all of it just absolutely incredible. Feeling the bumps in the road and that feeling when you lose the back end around a corner, even with my entry-level wheel, wow.

Thanks again to the devs who have made an amazingly awesome and accessable game, and for incorporating VR in a way that really puts you there. I am looking forward to the many hours of enjoyment that I will getting out of this.
    yup, game changing right? There's no going back to pancake mode for me.
    The following 3 users likes this Post: Cote Dazur, DaWorstPlaya, LostCoastRacer

Platform
    PC
    Have a bash at the Nordschleife, alone at dawn in VR with either the Ferrari 250 Testarossa (DLC car) or the Aston Martin DBR1-300 the 1950s ones. Then you will realise just how much value for money you get with all that new kit. Welcome to the game, enjoy yourself, plenty of info in this forum on how to get the best out of it.
    i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/HP Reverb G2/Fanatec CSL wheel + Clubsport V3 pedals/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member
    The following 3 users likes this Post: cluck, Cote Dazur, LostCoastRacer

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Yeah, I'm super-stoked. I feel like my graphics card isn't breaking a sweat yet (fans not needing to go to full), so time to start tweaking the quality settings to see what kind of visuals I can squeeze out of my gaming rig.

Managed to get my first 1st place finish on a Ginetta Juniors race during my last session, competitors set to default skill(medium). So satisfying. I was really feeling the nerves around the last lap, and smartly sacrificed a little time around the final corners in order to keep it safe and maintain position. The necessity of such strategy was unheard of in arcade-style games. This is so much better!
    The following 3 users likes this Post: cpcdem, John Hargreaves, N8s2Slow

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Any issues with motion sickness or headaches? If you don't mind saying...how old are you?

(I've been considering VR for a long time, but sticking with 49" unltra-wide)
    The following user likes this Post: LostCoastRacer

Platform
    PC
    change to <prop name="GForce" data="0" />
    <prop name="WorldMovement" data="0" /> in your vr setting file
    CPU: i7 7700k| GFX: gtx 1080ti 11gb ,RAM: 32Gb DDR4 | Wheel:dd1, csp3| OS: Win 10pro 64-bit;agon 32 ",valve index
    The following user likes this Post: LostCoastRacer

Kart Driver
    Platform
    PC
    Edbert: No motion sickness or headaches for me, though I've never been particularly susceptible to motion sickness (I can read a book in a moving car without problem). When I first started using the VR headset I would occasionally get the "floating hands" feeling when not in VR, but that went away after about a week or two of VR use. The one place in VR where things feel weird to me is if I go in reverse my body wants to compensate when I press the brakes. Not really a problem, especially since reverse is only used if I messed up really bad anyway. I'm 42. The differences between VR and gaming on a screen must be experienced to be truly appreciated.

smartin13: Thanks, I'll try that out on my next session. Can you say what making that adjustment will actually do?

Also, I was able to up my settings as listed below. I chose to go with increased settings while maintaining 45FPS/90Hz w/ASW, as opposed to lower setting to try to hit 90fps. Graphics card is definitely working full bore now. I'm pretty happy with the visuals and the gameplay, though I would always be stoked with improvements.
    Texture Res, MSAA, Environmental Map, Car Detail, Track Detail, Shadow Detail all at High
    Reflections, Particle level, and Particle Detail at Medium
    Detailed Grass at Low
    Pit Crew-Player only
    Enhanced Mirror-No
    Motion Blur-Off
    Render Ahead-2
    Texture Filtering-Anisotropic 4x

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbert View Post
    Any issues with motion sickness or headaches? If you don't mind saying...how old are you?

You just have to build it up slowly so your brain gets used to it. Depending on the title, VR can make you feel nauseous within seconds, so whip the headset off and come back later. You'll steadily build up your VR 'legs' to a point where you can do high speed loops and rolls in an X-Wing flying through a blown up battle cruiser. In Project CARS, I'd suggest starting with lower power open wheelers - the roof on a tin top can feel claustrophobic at first. The Caterham is a great experience in VR.
    For driving sims I still play a lot in 2D also depending how I feel as it can be too intense sometimes if you just want an easy fun race, but for flight sims there is no going back.
    i7-7700K/MSI RTX 3080/Win10 64bit/64Gb RAM/Asus Xonar DX+Beyer Dynamic DT990 Pro headphones/LG 34" UM65 @2560x1080/HP Reverb G2/Fanatec CSL wheel + Clubsport V3 pedals/DSD P2 button box

WMD1 + WMD2 Member

GT3 Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Edbert View Post

In my case, I was reluctant to go to VR, because IRL I get very easily dizzy, even watching other people dance rotating around themselves makes me feel nauseous and myself I can never do one turn. But gave VR a try in PCARS2 with a Rift S and from second one it felt absolutely fine!!! Accelerating, braking, turning, reverse, it was all absolutely natural, zero dizziness for me! It's very strange how the brain works... Only thing that makes me (instantly) nauseous is other games, in which you can move "physically" in the space around you, "by foot". The only problem I had with racing though is the very low resolution which I could not stand at all, so I quickly abandoned this and now I am using VR only for games like Eleven Table Tennis which feels beyond awesome in VR.