Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Awful performance at night/rain on 30 series card

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

Awful performance at night/rain on 30 series card

Night and/or rain absolutely tanks my performance and pegs the GPU at 100% usage (CPU no more than 70% on a single core). I'm running at 4K ultra on a 3080, performance is well above 60fps in dry/day races but my performance is being cut in half on night circuits. Before everyone screams that full grids on night/wet tracks are always more demanding in racing games, lowering settings and/or res makes almost zero difference (superscaling is off btw). I have to drop to 1080p medium settings to maintain 60fps in these races. On a 3080. I can be driving through a dry tunnel with barely any detail in the scene, no cars in front of me and still be dropping to 50fps. As a comparison, I can run F7 at a solid 4k 120fps ultra, FH4 at 4k 100-120fps ultra.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PS4 Pro
    Rainy conditions and especially clouds, made a slideshow on PS4 pro too even on performance settings. But on PS5 on resolution settings it is smooth even at night with 32 opponents race

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Zinnsash View Post
    Rainy conditions and especially clouds, made a slideshow on PS4 pro too even on performance settings. But on PS5 on resolution settings it is smooth even at night with 32 opponents race
    I'm not particularly surprised to hear the PS5 version is much better optimised. I think it's all the additional light sources of cloudy/night races that are causing the hit. It's possible the issue is much worse on 30 series cards. A lot of the complaints about this on the steam forums are from 30 series users. I hope it improves, it puts a real down on the experience for me personally.

PC1 was similar (although nowhere near as bad) with high-end GPUs of the time.

Does anyone know if there any hidden graphics config options that improves this?

Platform
    PC
    My 1080ti seemed to work better with full grids after I upgraded mu CPU from the 3770k to the 3800x.

(The CPU was holding back the GPU.)
    Steam name: z1nonly YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Z1NONLY/featured Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/z1nonly172
    3800X / RTX 3080 FE / 32gb DDR4 @3600 C15 / HP Reverb Pro / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
    My 1080ti seemed to work better with full grids after I upgraded mu CPU from the 3770k to the 3800x.

(The CPU was holding back the GPU.)
    CPU isn't holding the GPU back. GPU is at or around 100% usage.

Kart Driver
    Platform
    XBOX1 X
    On my Xbox one X i have the same performance issues. In "Performance" mode it is really bad at night and/or with rain. How can it be? It is bearly playable! Especially in PERFORMANCE mode!!!

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    This seems to be a recurring theme with pCars games. I'd rather they just left weather out all together if they can't optimise it properly or add settings to lessen the impact.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by SeeNoWeevil View Post
    This seems to be a recurring theme with pCars games. I'd rather they just left weather out all together if they can't optimise it properly or add settings to lessen the impact.
    My wife can run PC2 maxed out in all conditions, but then she's running a single 1080p monitor with a 1080Ti. I have a 3080 and have to run medium-ish settings because I'm on an HP Reverb in VR.

I think it's reasonable to offer *options* that make the game look amazing for people with the hardware to run it. If they made it run flawlessly on the lowest spec hardware in all conditions we would end up with something like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6d19897a15767408fc9340b0876ead43.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	284288
    Steam name: z1nonly YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Z1NONLY/featured Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/z1nonly172
    3800X / RTX 3080 FE / 32gb DDR4 @3600 C15 / HP Reverb Pro / GTA-F racing simulator / Fanatec CSL Elite-P1 / CS V3 pedals / CS Shifter SQ V 1.5

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Twinz View Post
    My wife can run PC2 maxed out in all conditions, but then she's running a single 1080p monitor with a 1080Ti. I have a 3080 and have to run medium-ish settings because I'm on an HP Reverb in VR.

I think it's reasonable to offer *options* that make the game look amazing for people with the hardware to run it. If they made it run flawlessly on the lowest spec hardware in all conditions we would end up with something like this:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6d19897a15767408fc9340b0876ead43.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	284288
    You're missing the point entirely. If you develop a game where the most demanding scenes are so far away from the average scene (wet/night in PCars games), you leave the player with the options of either A. dropping the settings/res way down to cope with the most demanding scenes or B. keeping the settings higher but with a horrible framerate in those scenes. Ugly game OR bad framerate.

I have a 3080. To maintain 60fps in these scenes I would have to drop from 4K maxed settings to 1080p *medium*. That's absurd. Dropping from 4K to 1440p makes almost zero difference. Dropping settings makes almost zero difference. That's how badly optimised this graphics engine is and it's a recurring theme with pCars games. I played pCars 1 at the time on a 980ti which was almost the fasted GPU on the market. Same thing.
    Last edited by SeeNoWeevil; 07-04-2021 at 14:14.

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by SeeNoWeevil View Post
    I have a 3080. To maintain 60fps in these scenes I would have to drop from 4K maxed settings to 1080p *medium*. That's absurd. Dropping from 4K to 1440p makes almost zero difference. Dropping settings makes almost zero difference. That's how badly optimised this graphics engine is and it's a recurring theme with pCars games. I played pCars 1 at the time on a 980ti which was almost the fasted GPU on the market. Same thing.
    -And then people who play on 1080p screens get less graphical options just so that people with 4k monitors won't complain?

I have played through Crysis 3 three separate times because of three different upgrades. Each time I was able to play with higher settings until, the last time, I was able to max everything.
    Last edited by Twinz; 07-04-2021 at 21:00.