Thread: So you think my warranty is void now?...

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC

So you think my warranty is void now?...

Posted this over on Race Department but thought you lot might like it:

20210912_152318 by Pete Ford, on Flickr

Well I'm joking of course becasue I bought this wheel back in 2011 direct from Fanatec, it's not had a great deal of use (spent a few years in the loft) but today the main platic spindle that runs through the middle of the wheel just sheared in half while I was racing! (see image below). I'm really quite gentle with the wheel so I havn't been yanking on it at all since I bought it new.

It sheared completely in half where the green box is. It's now glueing back together but I don't hold much hope for it dealing with the FFB so it'll likely shear off again (If I can manage to get it all back together that is lol

20210912_152328 by Pete Ford, on Flickr

I can see why Fanatec say that these wheels are not user serviceable as they are put together in such a way that they are actually quite tricky to dissasemble.

If my fix does not work I guess I'm out of the game for a while becasue I currently can't afford to be buying Fanatec kit again, even the used stuff fetches good money. I'm 110% sure fanatec won't sell me just that part and I assume they wouldn't have any anyway :cry:

"F", gamer down :thumbsdown:
    The following 3 users likes this Post: John Hargreaves, Sankyo, Zaskarspants

Platform
    PC
    I used to have a few steering axles as spares a long time ago (when I was still a service agent for Fanatec). I've had one or two of Porsche wheel repairs to replace a broken steering axle back in the day - not a fun repair job, you're right that these wheels hadn't been designed with serviceability in mind Still a lovely wheel back then, I can still smell the Alcantara

My guess is that the glued axle might only hold when disabling all FFB, but I'm eager to hear how it pans out!

P.S. I think your warranty voided back in 2012 already
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1 for games - RME ADI-2 DAC FS + Hifiman Ananda for music | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen Iiyama ProLite E2607WS 1920 x 1200 |

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman
    Teach how to think, not what to think

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Sankyo View Post
    I used to have a few steering axles as spares a long time ago (when I was still a service agent for Fanatec). I've had one or two of Porsche wheel repairs to replace a broken steering axle back in the day - not a fun repair job, you're right that these wheels hadn't been designed with serviceability in mind Still a lovely wheel back then, I can still smell the Alcantara

My guess is that the glued axle might only hold when disabling all FFB, but I'm eager to hear how it pans out!

P.S. I think your warranty voided back in 2012 already
    Interesting info, thanks! And yeah I'm going to try to reinforce it with a metal tube before putting it all back together. You wouldn't happen to know if I have to align the axle somehow upon reinstallation so the wheel is centered? That's the one thing I didn't take a note of when I took it all apart, I'd hate to put it all back together and then find the wheel isn't centered because I'd have to tear it all down again!!

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    I feel like Fanatec have banned me. I posted a photo of this on their forum yesterday just to see if anyone else had encountered a similar issue and/or had any ideas how to fix it. Now my post has vanished, I cannot login to the forum (says my details are incorrect), i treid the password reset function but i never receive the reset email so I tried their customer services web form yet that won't work either, I hit the submit button and nothing happens. Also just noticed that they no longer ship to the UK???!!!

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripgroove View Post
    I feel like Fanatec have banned me. I posted a photo of this on their forum yesterday just to see if anyone else had encountered a similar issue and/or had any ideas how to fix it. Now my post has vanished, I cannot login to the forum (says my details are incorrect), i treid the password reset function but i never receive the reset email so I tried their customer services web form yet that won't work either, I hit the submit button and nothing happens. Also just noticed that they no longer ship to the UK???!!!
    Sounds like a major website issue. They don't ban people for posting things (unless it's spam).
    CPU i7 7700K | RAM Corsair 16GB 2400MHz | GPU Asus GTX1080 Ti OC 11GB | Mobo Asus Strix Z270H | Audio SB Zx @ 5.1 for games - RME ADI-2 DAC FS + Hifiman Ananda for music | OS Win 10 x64 | Screen Iiyama ProLite E2607WS 1920 x 1200 |

With the right to say what you think comes the obligation to think about what you say.
    I'd rather have questions that cannot be answered than answers that cannot be questioned - Richard Feynman

Platform
    PC
    Quote Originally Posted by Ripgroove View Post
    Interesting info, thanks! And yeah I'm going to try to reinforce it with a metal tube before putting it all back together. You wouldn't happen to know if I have to align the axle somehow upon reinstallation so the wheel is centered? That's the one thing I didn't take a note of when I took it all apart, I'd hate to put it all back together and then find the wheel isn't centered because I'd have to tear it all down again!!
    The wheel has a zero position sensor and of course the codewheel for position tracking. The only thing I can think of right now is that if you somehow repaired it so that it isn't exactly as it was before (i.e. there's a rotation difference between the two parts), you may end up with a wheel that has an asymmetric left/right rotation range. Since you can define your center position manually in the driver, ending up with a decentered wheel will not happen.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    Sounds like a major website issue. They don't ban people for posting things (unless it's spam).
    I think you are right, I'm back on the forum now.

Superkart Pilot
    Platform
    PC
    The wheel has a zero position sensor and of course the codewheel for position tracking. The only thing I can think of right now is that if you somehow repaired it so that it isn't exactly as it was before (i.e. there's a rotation difference between the two parts), you may end up with a wheel that has an asymmetric left/right rotation range. Since you can define your center position manually in the driver, ending up with a decentered wheel will not happen.
    Cool, the wheel rim will only fit on the axle one way becasue of the way its shaped so I'm all good there, just wondered if I'd have an issue because I've removed the toothed belt from the wheel/gear that has the position sensor on it but the more I think about how it works and the fact that you can re center using the driver the more i think that it'll be fine.
    The following user likes this Post: Sankyo